Moving from 0W-20 to 5W-30 in late model Toyotas

Just out of curiosity, I asked my dealer service advisor if he would put in a 30 weight oil (because I was planning on towing in the summer heat) when I came in for a toyota care interval. He said it would most likely void my warranty but he would have to check on it. I would have to sign a waiver at the very least because the "oil passages are very narrow and it could cause oil leaks" LOL! Daddy government got them all gaslit pretty good!
Service writers are typically worthless. Talk to the Service Manager. I did befriend a good Writer a few years ago recently at the VW dealer near me, I think even he was getting tired of the poor management and passive abuse of the service and parts side.

Back when Subaru was pushing using only their Genuine synthetic oil (Idemitsu USA which is very good BTW) We had an argument over using conventional lubricants; that "Synthetic" was not a specification in any way, I showed him a "hidden" statement in the O.M. about using conventional.

Subaru Owners manual re synthetic oil_outlined.jpg

Last edited:
That pennzoil platinum 5w30 has a low flash point and burns off easy compared to other brands
Data to support? That statement doesn't make sense with GTL basestocks.

Unfortunately PQIA is not asking for Kurt's Noack to be included in their latest round of testing.

Last comparative data I read from PQIA - and it's apple and oranges from three years ago -
was:
Quaker State UD 5w20 - 7.1%
Mobil 1 AP 5w30 - 8.5% (ASTM D5800)

Data to support? That statement doesn't make sense with GTL basestocks.

Unfortunately PQIA is not asking for Kurt's Noack to be included in their latest round of testing.

Last comparative data I read from PQIA - and it's apple and oranges from three years ago -
was:
Quaker State UD 5w20 - 7.1%
Mobil 1 AP 5w30 - 8.5% (ASTM D5800)f
The Data is on the Pennzoil web you look look up there PDS and compare to the rest you are more than welcome to look it up . PP 5w30 has the lowest flashpoint and the complaints of the burn off are well known especially on this site.

Not a Toyota but my Mazda calls for 0W20 and I switched from using exclusively using 0W20 at 150K miles to a 5W30. My car now has 200K on it without issue. Haven’t noticed any difference or fuel economy difference.

I carry lots of heavy tools and equipment in my trunk and I run a lot of highway. I figured a 5W30 couldn’t hurt at the mileage it has on it now.

The Data is on the Pennzoil web you look look up there PDS and compare to the rest you are more than welcome to look it up . PP 5w30 has the lowest flashpoint and the complaints of the burn off are well known especially on this site.
True, That. My Subaru drank PP like it was hot wonton soup. n/k

Don't think it was related to FP. Which is typically the volatile DP carriers and seal conditioners. Once these fractions boil off, the usage often stabilizes.

NOACK is a better indicator, but the base stock grade blend and the VM loading are more likely in play here.

Back