2024 Civic w/NA 2.0 - Honda recommends 0w-20 - Suggestions and thoughts?

I have full confidence that going by the MM in my Civic will get me to 500,000km quite easily. I bought mine with 131,000 on it and it's now just shy of 220,000 and the engine doesn't burn any oil. I have followed the MM since I bought it, and looking at the service history from the first owner it looks like they did the same.
Are you using the factory filter?

No, they aren't efficient enough. I'm currently running a Luberfiner filter (made by Champion Labs)
My mindset is that I can’t see Honda using something that isn’t reliable. Efficient? I gueS not from what I’ve seen here, but I wonder how efficient a filter has to be in the end? Make sense? Do we need to chase 99% efficiency? Or is 65% ( or whatever Hondas filter is ) sufficient for a daily driver?

It's quite possible that 65% efficiency is enough, however if I can get something more efficient and it costs the same or less than the original Honda filter, why would I bother going OEM?

It's quite possible that 65% efficiency is enough, however if I can get something more efficient and it costs the same or less than the original Honda filter, why would I bother going OEM?
Ehh you got me there lol. Understood... Anything you recommend at WalMart?

Wow 146 posts..... Just go to walmart get a jug of Mobil 1 0w20 and a 7317 Fram tuff guard or better...Change your oil and filter and get on with life...Your car will be fine.... :D

My mindset is that I can’t see Honda using something that isn’t reliable. Efficient? I gueS not from what I’ve seen here, but I wonder how efficient a filter has to be in the end? Make sense? Do we need to chase 99% efficiency? Or is 65% ( or whatever Hondas filter is ) sufficient for a daily driver?
Honda filters are are manufactured by Honeywell/Fram. Nothing wrong with OE per se, but there is better. I was using Honda filters for my Civic until I cut one open. Paper end caps, sloppy glue job, uneven pleats, the filter media seemed meh, & they are way overpriced. Never again. I have been using the Fram Synthetic Endurance FE7317 for my Civic, & will not change unless something better comes out. If it's not available, I use a Fram Ultra. Both 99% @ 20, but the Endurance media is wire backed like the old Ultra used to be, & the baseplate/can seem more robust. That said, the best looking filters I've ever cut open have been the Microgard Select from O'Reilly. Perfectly spaced pleats, metal end caps, coil spring bypass, not a drop of excess glue to be found, silicone anti drain back valve AND gasket, high flow center core, & thick baseplate/can. They are the nicest I've seen as far as quality control, but efficiency is 99% @ 25, & are made in Vietnam which doesn't matter to me. Better than a lot, just not "best." I joined bitog, because at some point I was no longer content with good enough, or better, & was on a mission to find the "best." The amount of information here is amazing.

My oci's used to be every 5k or 4 months, with whatever synthetic caught my eye in the recommended 5w20 grade & Honda filter. Nothing wrong with that at all, but after months of homework found that 5w40 would provide the best protection for my little high reving civic, & my driving patterns. Initially I felt uneasy about neglecting the CAFE recommended 5w20 grade, but a conversation with David from HPL put that at ease. I'm currently running Mobil1 FS Euro 5w40 in my Civic just so I can switch to HPL @ 210k miles & change every 10k on the odometer with HPL PCMO 5w40 while using any of the 3 filters I mentioned above. I have just under 4k miles to go. Now that I found what I was looking for, my OCI's are going to be boring. No more wondering how a particular oil will perform, or what filter to use. I feel I've reached the end & found the best. Not everyone will agree, call me a "fanboi", but that's ok. I don't care. Plus I will actually be saving money not changing my oil every 4 months.

Do whatever you like, but if it were my car, I would throw a Fram Endurance or Ultra, or Microgard Select filter in, talk with someone from HPL on here about your driving patterns, conditions, & your environment to figure out what grade oil would provide best protection, then make a purchase through them or take their advice & find something on the shelves from M1 FS Euro line that best matches if approvals are necessary for you. Remember that viscosity grades are a recommendation NOT a requirement.

Does it have the same flow rate as OEM filter? I wonder if Better micron ratings result in reduced flow
Unless the filter is in bypass, the oil will flow the same with any filter based on your positive displacement oil pump. Search threads about oil flow to learn more.

What about Honda denying warranty based on filter choice? Seems like it’s possible for them to do so. This is a big deal to me lol . Hard choice on either the OEM or a Fram alternative while under warranty

What about Honda denying warranty based on filter choice? Seems like it’s possible for them to do so. This is a big deal to me lol . Hard choice on either the OEM or a Fram alternative while under warranty
Highly doubt it based on generic filters used at drive through oil change shops.

Give them a call about using a different oil filter?

Choose whatever makes you comfortable. Remember Honda doesn't make oil filters. But if you're looking for the best, Honda OE is not it.

An OEM cannot mandate the use of OE components unless they provide them for free, so no, Honda can't force you to use their filters, and can't deny warranty if you don't.

They will not do that. There is a federal law against that..Magnuson Moss Warranty Act..It was passed in 1975..

This is what I’m wondering. There is a reason Honda spec’d this micron filter and efficiency rating.
There are three ways to improve flow:
1. Use more media
2. Use synthetic media
3. Reduce efficiency

When the PureOne was introduced, they went with #1. The FRAM Ultra (OG) used #2, as did the AMSOIL EaO and Royal Purple filter. Filters produced on a budget would likely opt for #3, as the more media you use, the more expensive the filter is to produce (comparatively).

Unless the filter is in bypass, the oil will flow the same with any filter based on your positive displacement oil pump. Search threads about oil flow to learn more.

I am aware of this, but there are still reasons why people want to improve flow and we dont know if flow is factored into OEM design.

Back