Moving from 0W-20 to 5W-30 in late model Toyotas

Who here has switched to 5W-30 from years of using 0W-20 in their Toyota/Lexus engines that call for 0W-20?

I have 3 Toyota/Lexus vehicles that all call for 0W-20 and I have used nothing but that for 10 years since my first Toyota in 2014. I have had zero issues with 0W-20. I have 177k miles on my bought-new Tundra using it, initially I used Mobil-1, about the 70k mile mark I started using Kirkland oil from Costco. My consumption went from 1+ quart over 6-8k miles to nearly zero across a 5+ OCI.

I have used Kirkland in my LX570 since I bought it, 2 years ago and we've put about 25k miles on it.

I have used it in my 2015 RX350, bought at 160k miles, currently has 223k miles on it.

No, there is no reason to change. I know that's the first response.

But I have read several people of late posting on social media in various places about how they have switched to 5W-30. I haven't gone looking for this. I have noticed through the years and most people state this is what's used in these same vehicles outside North America.

This has been asked many times on the forum so you can google/search for the information on the specific engine requirements. The bottom line Toyota says 0W20 in North America so it can meet CAFE requirements. However if you search for Toyota International user manuals you will see recommendations all the way up to 15W40.

I have used everything from 0W20 through 5W40 in the 50 or 60 vehicles i've owned and none exploded due to my oil of choice.

0W16 though? Wont touch that horse fluid. 🤡

Switching from Energy Conserving 0W-20 to Energy Conserving 5W-30 is incomsequential. Switching to a 5W-30 (or 0W-40/5W-40) with a 3.5+ HTHS will give you some added wear protection at the expense of a tiny bit of fuel economy. Thin oils help with fuel economy during bumper-to-bumper traffic and long idling times. Not so much when the engine is under load, constant load, and/or heavy load. The downside of low HTHS oils is that you get more blow-by and potentially more wear and tear when you work the engine hard. Keep in mind that the manufacturer's concern is to get that engine through warranty while meeting CAFE fleet requirements.

Did it in a 2011 Camry, well after 100k. No issues, even used 10w30 in the summer. Did likewise in a 2010 Tundra.

Not sure if/when I will do so in the current fleet. Neither are driven hard, so my only concerns would be the timing chain.

I have a 2013 LX570 that now has 239K miles on it owned since new. Probably 75% of the miles have been on synthetic 0w20 of various brands (with occasional 5w30, 0w30, 0w40 syth if I find a good deal), and I think most major brand synthetic 0W20s are great oils and hard to beat and I still like to use one in the winter months here in Michigan. This truck gets 20-30K miles a year put on it as the family hauler and usually I change the oil every 7-12K miles depending on when I get a chance to do it. I have 4 diesel tractors trucks etc and usually have 5 gallon pails of 15w40 dino available and for the last 150K miles the spring summer fall oil changes have been getting 15w40 dino oil. Probably have 70K miles on it using 15w40 in the warmer months with a fair bit of towing a 6K travel trailer. Seems to make no difference to the 5.7. I think some have posted owners manuals for the LX570 from the middle east regions where oils all the way up to 20w50 are listed as ok for the 5.7. I wouldn't worry a bit about 5w30 and if I see a good deal on some I wouldn't hesitate to use it all year here. I recently (thanks to this site!) scored a bunch of Castrol 10w40 semi synth from adavanced auto and that will go in the truck and my 4 other vehicles (all of which spec nothing heavier than 5w30) this next summer.

Me with 0W16 in the Yota…
1703019392969.jpeg

This has been asked many times on the forum so you can google/search for the information on the specific engine requirements. The bottom line Toyota says 0W20 in North America so it can meet CAFE requirements. However if you search for Toyota International user manuals you will see recommendations all the way up to 15W40.

I have used everything from 0W20 through 5W40 in the 50 or 60 vehicles i've owned and none exploded due to my oil of choice.

0W16 though? Wont touch that horse fluid. 🤡International manuals actually recommend 0W20 as well. Wll the use the word "Preferred"
For newer vehicles internationally, Toyota has actually started stating the preferred oil in many vehicles as 0W20. To your point, a 5W30 or even 5W40 isn't a big deal.

Who here has switched to 5W-30 from years of using 0W-20 in their Toyota/Lexus engines that call for 0W-20?

I have 3 Toyota/Lexus vehicles that all call for 0W-20 and I have used nothing but that for 10 years since my first Toyota in 2014. I have had zero issues with 0W-20. I have 177k miles on my bought-new Tundra using it, initially I used Mobil-1, about the 70k mile mark I started using Kirkland oil from Costco. My consumption went from 1+ quart over 6-8k miles to nearly zero across a 5+ OCI.

I have used Kirkland in my LX570 since I bought it, 2 years ago and we've put about 25k miles on it.

I have used it in my 2015 RX350, bought at 160k miles, currently has 223k miles on it.

No, there is no reason to change. I know that's the first response.

But I have read several people of late posting on social media in various places about how they have switched to 5W-30. I haven't gone looking for this. I have noticed through the years and most people state this is what's used in these same vehicles outside North America.
I recently made the switch in my 2016 Avalon. Went from 0W20 to 5W30. No difference. I did it for slightly higher HTS. I figured...I’m at 120,000 miles, why not bump it up? Truthfully the 0W20 did fine in that engine, but I made the switch anyway.

I was very curious if there were any significant changes in my engine (2GRFE), because it initially called for 5W30 when it first came out (for several years), then Toyota switched to 0W20.

I did a video on YouTube about the differences between the earlier model 2GRFE and the later model 2GRFE...bearing clearances, valve guide clearances, oil pump, etc. There are no differences. The only even slightest difference I could find was on one clearance on one cap on the camshaft. We’re talking .002 thousands of an inch. And it may be less. But it was still well within specs. Bottom line...it’s because of CAFE regulations.

Back