2018 Camry I4 XSE 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did mention new resin bearings, whatever that means. I’ve seen the word resin used for a particular type of plastic.

High compression with the ability to adjust the compression ratio in certain circumstances, variable speed oil pump, Atkinson or Otto cycle depending on the circumstances, thinner high strength connecting rods,,,, sounds more SkyActiv as I go on. It is correct. These new engines are adopting some cutting edge engineering and even going back in time to take older tech like tuned headers on Mazda and modernize that for economy and power.

Now Toyota needs their own Dave Coleman with a cut away engine on YouTube to really get into the details.

I agree with Silverfusion on the tight tolerance nonsense that people dribble. If anyone here knows the most basic thing about oil (and virtually everyone apart from brand new people do) is that oil is thicker when cold and thinner when hot. So a 0W20 in 0 Celsius temps will be acting much the same as 15W40 would in 20 Celsius startup temps. Many 0W20 are over 1000cSt thick at 0F... in which case, running 15W40 in a hot climate would be far thinner at startup than the 0W20 at 0F. If the tolerances were so tight that oil couldn't lubricate, the manufacturer would say not for use below 0F
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
They did mention new resin bearings, whatever that means. I’ve seen the word resin used for a particular type of plastic.

Federal-Mogul introduced resin bearings to the OEM market, I assume the polymer overlay provides the same effect as it does with pistons with a skirt overlay in terms of reducing friction.

I found this SAE excerpt - even though Toyota for the most part uses forged steel cranks on their engines, a resin bearing can better resist start-stop stress and potentially wear better with cast cranks.

http://papers.sae.org/2017-01-0460/

I wonder if we'll start seeing Toyota engines back spec'd to 0W16, that were originally spec'd for 20 grade to boost sales of 0W16............

Originally Posted By: sambojoho
cool, they brought back the spin on filters. Did they also bring back the ATF dipstick???

Nope. Sealed system, but you can change fluid via a drain and fill port after removing bolts.

Originally Posted by kaminski54
Originally Posted by sambojoho
cool, they brought back the spin on filters. Did they also bring back the ATF dipstick???

Nope. Sealed system, but you can change fluid via a drain and fill port after removing bolts.

Do you know the procedure on how to properly drain and refill to the proper level?

Originally Posted by kaminski54
Originally Posted by sambojoho

Well speaking my personal standpoint that is going to cost them sales. That would take them off the buy one of these list. If they make it so you can't do it without special tools they should have to do it for you for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back