2018 Camry I4 XSE 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Good to see a spin on oil filter instead of silly cartridge filter.

Cartridge filters arent silly at all if implemented correctly. More like Toyota engineers were being silly with their designs...

OP, great pictures, super clean filter media. Glad you created your own evidence to justify not doing short OCIs. Looks like that engine and oil is a winner!

Lots of people had oil leaks from DIY'ers and quick lube places due to O-ring not properly installed or O-ring installed properly but not lubed.

Now a 2018 Camry is back on my list of possible cars to purchase. BMW has the best design for cartridge/ filter housing.

Originally Posted By: kaminski54
Any other thoughts, research, or recommendations?

Oil-filter-cutter-77750.jpg

Amazing how small that filter is compared to your hand! Kinda like the tiny filter on
recent Corvettes!

Filter on my Impala is 3" dia and just over 4" long! A while back I found a Donaldson
Hydraulic filter to fit that was 6" long!! Looked big too!!

Cartridge filters arent silly at all if implemented correctly. More like Toyota engineers were being silly with their designs...

OP, great pictures, super clean filter media. Glad you created your own evidence to justify not doing short OCIs. Looks like that engine and oil is a winner!

Lots of people had oil leaks from DIY'ers and quick lube places due to O-ring not properly installed or O-ring installed properly but not lubed.

Now a 2018 Camry is back on my list of possible cars to purchase. BMW has the best design for cartridge/ filter housing.

Plus its only the insides of the can type filter and they're so proud of them their twice as much LOL not in my book.

It was the easiest and cleanest oil change I have ever done. Remove under body panel - 5 screws, then pan bolt and filter. The filter is so low there was absolutely no mess. Unscrew it half way, let it drain a while, then remove fully. No dripping onto frame, body, etc. I was amazed.

Originally Posted By: webfors
No way you're getting 5% improved fuel economy going from 0w20 to 0w16.

I doubt it is even 1%.

Because they implemented a silly design. The bolt-on designs from MB and BMW of old, and the current up-top GM design are just fine.

People get gasket leaks from spin-ons as well.

A cartridge underneath is just a nasty mess.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Is Toy still specing a 10,000 mile OCI without an OLM?

Yep

Bearing clearances haven't changed in many decades.
What has changed are the oils used and we've reached the point where the add pack matters at least as much as viscosity in preventing excessive wear.
I have no doubt that this engine will provide 200K+ healthy miles on the recommended grade of oil.
Since the rest of the car will be trash by then, this seems adequate and the owner gets to keep a couple of hundred clams in his pocket in fuel savings.
Seems reasonable.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I'd run 0w-16 in a daily driver, but in no way would I put into an engine that's worked hard

For your average person who races from green light to red light, there's a thin red line between daily driver and an engine that works hard. Maybe that's how Red Line oil got their name.
laugh.gif

Really in fifty years of oil changes I've never had a spin-on leak?

Now that was funny.

How long did it take for you to chew that open??

Classic
smile.gif

One thing I wonder about 0w16... In Japan where there are no where near amount of roads that can produce a high number of hours cruising at higher speeds aka excess of 75 mph... How well would 0w16 hold up in a trip across Texas on Interstate 10 for 800 plus miles in the summer time?? Ambient temps above 100°F with road surface temps exceeding 170°F. In Japan where short to very short trips are the norm... In moderate temps.. The oil will likely never get all the way up to full operating temp in drives less than 20 minutes. It is just a far different set of circumstances here in the US than over there. I would wonder about this type of circumstance plus a number of others as well.

I am not saying it can't do all right. Or that a 0w16 cannot work. It may very well be more than up for those types of very harsh conditions. I have heard that the 0w16 oils seemingly look "better" than a comparable 0w20. That may well be true indeed. Thus negating any possible bad outcomes. Going to be interesting to see how this all turns out over time.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Mr Nice said:

Really in fifty years of oil changes I've never had a spin-on leak?

It happens.

I'm sure this talk was had many times over when 0w20 was first used. But look at all the cars using it today with no issues. I'd just run the 0w16 and let it go.

The a25a-fks engine specs are very similar to the Mazda 2.5 SkyActiv.

10k oci on a GDI engine? I would be cautious. Lots of short tripping? 5k would be a start. Predominantly highway miles? 7.5k would work. Having a uoa done with fuel dilution numbers will give you some guidance.

Last edited:
[/quote]

Really in fifty years of oil changes I've never had a spin-on leak? [/quote]

If the old filter gasket doesn't come off with the filter and you put the new filter there's a REAL good chance it'll leak. That's why I check the old filter and also clean the filter mounting base to make sure the old gasket is removed totally.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back