An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with legit hunting that follow laws, which are based on population control as well as limiting abuses. I personally don't hunt but do respect hunters that follow laws and regulations and pay the fees.

What this guy does is nothing more than baiting your neighbor's cat out of the house and shot him to make a taxidermy. There is no justification for that other than to satisfy his own ego trip.

BTW, bison taste like beef but a bit more gamey. We have lots of them in Silicon Valley's workplace cafeterias because of the Hindu population.

To people who don't think this topic warrants discussion...this isn't the only discussion on this forum or the internet. Participation is optional.

The argument that the lion was old and nature would have taken its course anyway doesn't make what Palmer did excusable. It's not the fact the lion died that's an issue, it's how it died.

Think about it from this perspective...people die too, every day, and we will all meet that fate. Since we are all going to die anyway, why prosecute murderers? When an older person gets murdered, why even waste resources on it? They would have died soon, and were just draining the system anyway. And if someone tortured an old person for 40 hours before killing them...well nature and retirement homes are pretty bad too, so who cares?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

The animal gets to die with dignity.

lol...

1hl968g_36cj_l.jpg

Got my hunting license today
13.gif
ay.

Quote:

Starving to death covered in flies with vultures and hyenas circling, that's dignity? Mother nature is cruel. Animals don't go to hospital/hospice to live out their last days.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If the lion would have died of natural causes:

A. We wouldn't be having this discussion.
B. The dentist wouldn't be having any problems arising from killing the lion.

It's a sad state of affairs.

If another male lion had vanquished him and his offspring for territory and breeding rights, and not to eat the meat, then who would have carried the matches and kindling to Zimbabwe ?

The animal gets to die with dignity. Not have its head on a wall. Some of you will never get it. You also think your prime minister from 10 years ago ended illegal whaling? It was Sea Sheppard. People who have the guts to get their hands dirty. Who will end the Japanese mass killing of dolphins? But you don't care about that either.

Have you seen what a wounded animal does? It limps away and finds a spot to lay down and die.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Quote:

Starving to death covered in flies with vultures and hyenas circling, that's dignity? Mother nature is cruel. Animals don't go to hospital/hospice to live out their last days.
Bambi the lion !!!The Lion King.

How did Cecil get so big and strong? By murder. Every single day. Not just once a week. Not just once a year. Every single day. Did the dentist do the world a favor? The bleeding hearts do not see through their own hypocrisy.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
How did Cecil get so big and strong? By murder. Every single day. Not just once a week. Not just once a year. Every single day. Did the dentist do the world a favor? The bleeding hearts do not see through their own hypocrisy.

LOL..a wild animal killing prey is "Murder"?? Do you realize how ridiculous a statement this is??

Originally Posted By: Al

LOL..a wild animal killing prey is "Murder"?? Do you realize how ridiculous a statement this is??

Whats that Al? I'm still digesting that disgusting picture you posted on the previous page, and wrapping my head about the fact you now have a hunting license.

Yes, Cecil was a murderer. And now you have a license to murder too I guess.

I thought big game hunting [like the trip the dentist was on] was supposed to be a sport. Certainly the dentist didn't need to hunt for food, or survival for that matter. Is baiting an animal and killing it hunting for sport? I don't think so.

BTW I'm pro-gun and have nothing against hunters. But that dentist was a real tool!

As long as sport hunting is legal, this debate will go on forever (just like other things that are legal that upsets people). It's the way of the world ... everyone can't be made happy, and never will be.

Cecil was doing what nature intended him to. That's why he was born with claws and teeth designed specifically for killing things. I also kind of doubt that Cecil took 40 hours to kill things, and he probably also didn't just dump the carcasses.

Whats that Al? I'm still digesting that disgusting picture you posted on the previous page, and wrapping my head about the fact you now have a hunting license.

Yes, Cecil was a murderer. And now you have a license to murder too I guess. [/quote]
Its called a "Hunting" license not a "Murder" license.

Wow is this thread a hoot and a half. Everything from anti hunting to racism to putting an eco terrorist group like Sea Sheppard on a pedestal as some kind of heroes. Hard to follow it from start to finish without getting a headache there is so much vitriol and rhetoric being posted.

The biggest thing that sticks out at me is the way people are portraying Lions as noble creatures. It is definitely like the whole Bambi syndrome deer hunters face from anti's who think all deer are like Disney's Bambi. People seem to be making this Lion out to be Mufasa and Symba here. Lions are BRUTAL predators folks, they are not warm, soft, cuddly kittens who purr when you pat them.

They hunt to live which is true but they are also cruel and vicious. They kill for reasons other than to eat. Lions are not noble. They are vicious killing machines. What would we say about a human who killed his neighbor's kids so he could take her and knock her up with his kids? What would we say about a man or woman who killed their boss so they could get that position? There are things Lions do that are just unbelievably cruel.

How many of you have ever seen this video( actually it is a clipped version of a TV show about it )? A male Lion stalks 3 Cheetahs( 1 female in heat and 2 males chasing her ). With no provocation the Lion stalks them and runs them down and kills 2 of the 3. It would have killed all 3 if the last male hadn't finally smartened up and run away. The female's death in the bushes as she is just trying to get away from the 2 males is especially gut wrenching to me. I would have gladly shot that Lion that day if I was witnessing what it was doing with no hesitation or remorse. What it was doing is not uncommon either. Lions kill period and it is not always to eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUU3DNU-ymQ

So please don't talk to me about the nobility of Lions and how great they are. A Lion would kill you or me faster than we could blink. And not just to eat us.

I haven't followed the story too much but from what I know the dentist went on a guided hunt to harvest a trophy mount. This was not a hunt for food. As a hunter I take the use of the animals I harvest very serious. I do not waste them. I have choked down a lot of Mergansers and Sea Ducks in my day because I shot them and I won't waste them. I have hunted to take mounts( mostly waterfowl and deer )as well but I also make sure the meat is used. A Lion is not something you eat though. I have mixed feelings on taking an animal just for a mount and leaving the carcass to rot. If it is legal to hunt and take animals like Lions then I guess it is ok. The game management folks have decided the population can handle it. Maybe locals will eat the meat( I know that happens a lot with other species )?

My real issue here is luring the animal out of the refuge so it could be harvested in an open hunting area. THAT is wrong. Baiting itself is not wrong. When hunting predators you hunt over bait or with dogs. Just how it is. No issue with that at all. No different than the use of feeding stations for deer hunting. So what I need to know is did the hunter know the guide was performing this illegal act? I suspect he might have based on his prior act with the bear but maybe he didn't?

This was a trip to Africa not to his neighboring state. You hire a guide and rely on them. Unless he knew they were luring the Lion out of a refuge I have no serious issue with him harvesting the Lion. I personally wouldn't hunt a Lion because I wouldn't eat it but again as long as it is legal so be it. If he knew what the guide was doing though then he needs to have the book thrown at him though. No doubt about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
As long as sport hunting is legal, this debate will go on forever (just like other things that are legal that upsets people). It's the way of the world ... everyone can't be made happy, and never will be.

Trophy/sport hunting are legal and are going on everyday in Africa and elsewhere, no debate about that. Trophy/sport hunting done legally may do some good in preserving wild life in Africa, illegal hunting is the problem.

This debate is about illegal killing of a Lion in a protected reserve, the hunter and his guides baited the protected lion out of the reserve into private land to kill it. Even after they found out the this lion has the GPS collar they still cut off the head and remove the skin as trophy, instead of inform the authority about accident killing.

This hunter illegally killed of a bear in Wisconsin before, lied to investigator found guilty and sentenced to 1 year probation and some monetary fine.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Trophy/sport hunting are legal and are going on everyday in Africa and elsewhere, no debate about that. Trophy/sport hunting done legally may do some good in preserving wild life in Africa, illegal hunting is the problem.

This debate is about illegal killing of a Lion in a protected reserve, the hunter and his guides baited the protected lion out of the reserve into private land to kill it. Even after they found out the this lion has the GPS collar they still cut off the head and remove the skin as trophy, instead of inform the authority about accident killing.

This hunter illegally killed of a bear in Wisconsin before, lied to investigator found guilty and sentenced to 1 year probation and some monetary fine.

Yes, I know. But this whole killing of Cecil has now spun off to the whole subject of sport hunting in general by the masses, regardless if it's legal or not. That's what my comment was about - it's got all kinds of people upset over trophy hunting, legal or not - just watch the news, it's a hot topic right now.

And yes, the killing of Cecil was most likely done illegally and the hunters most likely knew what they were going and still did it anyway. As I said a while back in this thread, if they can prosecute him under Zimbabwe law then they should absolutely do so.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

That's why I linked to the World Wildlife Fund...they are on board that community management and benefit from "canned hunting" (What the Oz media term it) go a long way towards improving human's lives, as well as actually protecting the animals that they are offering up.

(same argument for corn growers, who would never destroy the future productivity of their properties).

The dentist in question was a tool, pure and simple in his illegal actions.

Has nothing to do with the legal actions of the vast majority of either local game hunters or well heeled who are willing to kick $50k into an African Community.

I hope that there's lots of people baking cupcakes Monday 17th August.
http://www.rspcacupcakeday.com.au/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back