An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: raytseng
turtle, it seems you're the anally rententive one who is picking up on this topic more than anyone else and now backpedalling to get out of the losing point.

Everybody calls dentists by the Dr. title. Just like you call anyone who helps you with athletics or sports "Coach ( )".

Dr. is the appropriate title for a dentist, same as your optometrist, psychologist, or other medical-related fields that aren't strictly an MD (e.g. Dr. Phil). No MD is insulted by this- well maybe by the Dr. Phil.

Every dental place I've been to, the whole office calls the dentist "Dr. { }". Search any website that is put up for a dental practice. It will say "Dr. { }"
Find me a (professional) website for a dental practice that does NOT refer to the dentist with a different title than Dr.

What other title would you all call your dentist. By their first name? "Mr." "Boss?".
Dentists are doctors .

Why aren't the people who are protesting against this dentist also protesting against ALL people who hunt? I guess they're hypocrites...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
By Zimbabwe's laws he isn't guilty, but what he and his guide did wasn't acceptable either.

From what I gather he isn't guilty because he killed the animal outside the protected area, that's it! However it appears the 'they' deliberately lured it outside of the protected area so that it could be 'legally' killed. The guy is an ******** and I hope he gets what he deserves someday soon.

So, to open that can of worms, what do you feel it is that he deserves?

This dentist is an experienced hunter, he went to Zimbabwe to hunt several times before this incident, so he knew what he was doing, he knew that there were some animal preservation in the country. His guide lured the lion out of preservation into his land to kill, I think he knew that it isn't legal.

He found guilty for illegally killing a bear in Wisconsin some years ago.

To me, this dentist skirts the hunting laws as much as he can and then blame someone else if anything pop up.

If I was his patient I would seek someone else to take care of my teeth. I would boycott him and his business.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
[

If I was his patient I would seek someone else to take care of my teeth. I would boycott him and his business.

Yea. That and karma can be a female dog.

I'm not Hindu or Buddhist but I've seen that work like a mutha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Meet Robodeer.

is this what became of the robotic DARPA goat?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
You want to do the right thing and own up but you have to be prepared to be treated as if it was done purposely. You do not get credit for being honest. The book is thrown just as hard at you as it is if you did it intentionally and got caught.

A lot of attention has been paid to the current regime there over the past decades in the Canadian news. That's one of the last places I would want to visit, much less for a hunting trip. Considering their record with respect to human rights abuses, I wouldn't expose myself to the risk.

It seems that if one wants to engage in as much red tape as possible when visiting another country, one should either try to get paid for something there or try to make a hunting trip out of it. Trying it in Zimbabwe is just asking for problems.

There have been comments about "skirting the law" when it comes to hunting. Some hunters certainly do. However, there are an inordinate number of technical regulations when it comes to hunting, and things don't always make sense or even coincide. As I mentioned in another thread, a vehicle equipment violation can be found on just about any vehicle on the road and a ticket issued. The same can go for a lot of hunters.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Meet Robodeer.

What does this have to do with legally harvesting an animal?

I hunt and am against poaching. About 2 miles from the house, someone used to dump at least 10 deer carcasses per year along the road. The heads (I assume they were bucks?) as well as the hide was gone.. everything else was still there.

We have starving families in our county and that was a huge waste of food. And speaking of feeding folks, we have a program where people "donate" their deer to a guy, he butchers it then the meat goes to a needing family.

Hunting is cruel right?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

We have starving families in our county and that was a huge waste of food. And speaking of feeding folks, we have a program where people "donate" their deer to a guy, he butchers it then the meat goes to a needing family.

Hunting is cruel right?

When I was in Alaska I found out about their nifty meat harvesting program. What a fantastic idea, gives a LOT of poor folks some great food....

We have similar programs here. I have donated deer and fish to it to help feed people in need.

We have plenty of opportunity here.

I am not sure how other states do this, but we have a bonus antler-less deer program that varies county to county. On top of harvesting the bag limit of deer with a bow, firearm and muzzle loader, one could harvest anywhere from 2-8 extra anter-less deer depending on the county.

I believe ours is 2 now. It was 4 the fall before the Polar Vortex. A county to slots over used to be 6.. now it is 3. That winter was hard on a lot of stuff. Southern counties along the Ohio River are usually about 8.
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
We have plenty of opportunity here.

I am not sure how other states do this, but we have a bonus antler-less deer program that varies county to county. On top of harvesting the bag limit of deer with a bow, firearm and muzzle loader, one could harvest anywhere from 2-8 extra anter-less deer depending on the county.

I believe ours is 2 now. It was 4 the fall before the Polar Vortex. A county to slots over used to be 6.. now it is 3. That winter was hard on a lot of stuff. Southern counties along the Ohio River are usually about 8.
shocked.gif

We have extra doe permits for certain management units too. Let's you take them after you have filled all your regular tags. Last I knew though it was only one p/ hunter here for us.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
How's this for a Halloween costume? LoL

a99467_2015-costume_3-lion-revenge.jpg

It's in questionable taste, which makes it highly desirable for Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back