An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
20 pages about Bambi the lion king lion.

would make a good cupcake motiff.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
For the love of God! Can someone tell me how to unsubscribe to this thread?

My Stuff > Subscriptions. Remove it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

They hunt to live which is true but they are also cruel and vicious. They kill for reasons other than to eat. Lions are not noble. They are vicious killing machines. What would we say about a human who killed his neighbor's kids so he could take her and knock her up with his kids? What would we say about a man or woman who killed their boss so they could get that position? There are things Lions do that are just unbelievably cruel.

How many of you have ever seen this video( actually it is a clipped version of a TV show about it )? A male Lion stalks 3 Cheetahs( 1 female in heat and 2 males chasing her ). With no provocation the Lion stalks them and runs them down and kills 2 of the 3. It would have killed all 3 if the last male hadn't finally smartened up and run away. The female's death in the bushes as she is just trying to get away from the 2 males is especially gut wrenching to me. I would have gladly shot that Lion that day if I was witnessing what it was doing with no hesitation or remorse. What it was doing is not uncommon either. Lions kill period and it is not always to eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUU3DNU-ymQ

So please don't talk to me about the nobility of Lions and how great they are. A Lion would kill you or me faster than we could blink. And not just to eat us.

I never said the lion was "noble." I said it was doing what nature intended. It's serving its role in its ecosystem.

Even the territorial/dominance killings you mentioned before are still what the animal was intended by nature to do. It's the way its pea brain operates. "Oh look, another big carnivore in my territory, I should go kill it." Animals do a lot of things that are unacceptable in the human world. Expecting them to even remotely begin to conceptualize morality is crazy.

I would hope anyway that people are capable of higher level thought and making decisions based on what's right and wrong. I would hope that we don't operate by the same rules as wild freaking animals. What Palmer did is evidence to the contrary though.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I would hope anyway that people are capable of higher level thought and making decisions based on what's right and wrong. I would hope that we don't operate by the same rules as wild freaking animals. What Palmer did is evidence to the contrary though.

I dunno, the amount of people talking about beheading this guy, feeding him to the Lions....etc, I don't think people have come as far or are as developed as we like to think
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
For the love of God! Can someone tell me how to unsubscribe to this thread?

My Stuff > Subscriptions. Remove it.
grin.gif

Finally Peace!!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I dunno, the amount of people talking about beheading this guy, feeding him to the Lions....etc, I don't think people have come as far or are as developed as we like to think
frown.gif

True, I should have included those people in my last statement.

Did anyone complain about the baby elephant that was slaughtered for Obama's dinner party? Aren't elephants on the endangered species list or maybe it doesn't count when it comes to more important people.

I've been hunting my entire life. Nothing exotic, just your basic deer/rabbit/squirrel/waterfowl. I am lucky enough to have a deer in the WI Bear/Buck club (missed B&C).

That being said, shut it down. Am I being serious? Sure, shut down African hunting. Then watch what happens to the continent, and their wonderfully balanced economy. I'll watch from afar, and LOL at the short sighted nature of this argument. Nothing is perfect, except when it comes to how the Liberal side wants to pretend it should be.

Quote:
Walter Palmer, the Minnesota dentist who has gone into hiding amid an international outcry over his killing of a beloved African lion, also wanted to shoot a large elephant on the ill-fated hunting trip, his guide has told a British newspaper.

Theo Bronkhorst told The Daily Telegraph Thursday that after killing the lion, known as Cecil, Palmer asked the guide if he could locate an elephant whose tusk weighed more than 63 pounds "which is a very large elephant."

"I told him I would not be able to find one so big, so the client left the next day," Bronkhorst told the paper.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/07/31/...ext-guide-says/

This hunter is really something.

Right after illegally killed a lion he wanted to kill a larger elephant which is also on endangered species list, what he wants to kill next ? A rhino with giant horn ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

what he wants to kill next ?

A protester outside his practice.
crackmeup2.gif

The biggest takeaway from this whole episode might be a greater awareness of poaching which is a much bigger issue than some d-bag dentist paying 50K for a big game hunt. This di**head is the equivalent of the Kardashians in the greater scheme of things but he can be useful in bringing light to issues like poaching and conservation that are always in need of more help.

There will always be more poachers and illegal trade than guys from the suburbs who wants to hunt a rhino in Namibia. Misplaced outcry over this incident doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing.

Originally Posted By: Benito

what he wants to kill next ?

A protester outside his practice.
crackmeup2.gif

You jest, but sickos like him would pay a lot more to hunt a human. Another good revenue stream for 3rd world countries.

Quote:
Walter Palmer, the Minnesota dentist who has gone into hiding amid an international outcry over his killing of a beloved African lion, also wanted to shoot a large elephant on the ill-fated hunting trip, his guide has told a British newspaper.

Theo Bronkhorst told The Daily Telegraph Thursday that after killing the lion, known as Cecil, Palmer asked the guide if he could locate an elephant whose tusk weighed more than 63 pounds "which is a very large elephant."

"I told him I would not be able to find one so big, so the client left the next day," Bronkhorst told the paper.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/07/31/...ext-guide-says/

Right after illegally killed a lion he wanted to kill a larger elephant which is also on endangered species list, what he wants to kill next ? A rhino with giant horn ?

Has it been established that the dentist KNEW he had illegally taken the Lion at the time he shot it? It is possible he did not know what the guide was doing. Are Elephants on the endangered list in the country they were in or is it legal to take one there? If that country allows it then he did nothing wrong asking if he could harvest one. At least in the case of the Elephant most certainly the meat would have gone to local people and would be a big help to them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Did anyone complain about the baby elephant that was slaughtered for Obama's dinner party? Aren't elephants on the endangered species list or maybe it doesn't count when it comes to more important people.

???

It was reported a baby elephant and a bunch more were slaughtered for Mugabe's birthday party earlier in the year, but the internet doesn't seem to care much about that.

Despots get passes that dentists don't, I guess.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Did you mean Mugabe?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Has it been established that the dentist KNEW he had illegally taken the Lion at the time he shot it? It is possible he did not know what the guide was doing. Are Elephants on the endangered list in the country they were in or is it legal to take one there? If that country allows it then he did nothing wrong asking if he could harvest one. At least in the case of the Elephant most certainly the meat would have gone to local people and would be a big help to them.

He is an experienced big game hunter. This was not his first hunting trip to Africa, he knew the farm is next to protected reserve, he was on the truck with dead animal to bait the lion from the reserve. He also illegally killed a bear in Wisconsin, lied about it and found guilty with 1 year probation.

If he didn't know and he is a good hunter, he and his guide should reported to authority about the accident killing of the lion, be he went ahead cut off the head, skin the dead lion and tried to destroy the GPS collar to hide to illegal hunt, and immediately looking to kill a large elephant to harvest the tusks.

I'm not against legal trophy hunter, but luring a protected lion from reserve to kill it is what almost everybody is upsetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back