What happened recently between a Russian SU-35 and an American F-35?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a YouTube video today that was mostly talk and very little video, indicating that at least one, and possibly more than one Russian SU-35 was trying to persuade at least one and possibly more than one United States F-35 to leave the area over the sea next to Finland. And according to the YouTube video audio the American fighter jet got fed up with the harassment of the Russian and used some kind of a jamming device that apparently damaged the Russian jet and made it have to return to a land base we're upon it was unable to get its landing gear to work and had to do a belly landing resulting in it sliding into a sandpile after the end of the runway. Apparently the pilot of the Russian jet was fortunate to have escaped with his life and not be killed.

One of the things I find interesting is that there was no mention of an American EA- 18 G growler aircraft being used for the jamming of the Russian aircraft.

Which makes me wonder is there some kind of a pod that can be installed in a F-35 to give it the ability to send out a powerful jamming signal? It would be interesting to know the details of this encounter?

Does anyone have any more detail about what actually happened?

Also there was some talk about the downing of the United States drone about 11 days ago which could indicate that right now the United States has little patience for more stuff going on between the Russian aircraft in the United States aircraft.

Can you post the link to the YouTube video?
I thought of posting a link after I made the post above and I went back to YouTube and other stuff is coming up when I do a search and I'm having trouble finding the video that I watched earlier. If I find it I will post it. I wish I had saved it when I watched it.

I thought of posting a link after I made the post above and I went back to YouTube and other stuff is coming up when I do a search and I'm having trouble finding the video that I watched earlier. If I find it I will post it. I wish I had saved it when I watched it.
Just open your history.

Finland's prime minister is hot.

I have several Tikka's and Sako's

Maybe the RF pilot just wanted a closer look and go shopping.

The same thing happened in WW2. The German advance stalled in Belgium for FNs, beer 'n blondes.

Last edited:
Apparently NATO has already passed something regarding protecting Finland and Sweden while the decision is made about them joining NATO so that Russia cannot intimidate them while this is going on.

It's a pretty big Achilles heel if the Russian fighter jet can be damaged by a Jammer to the extent that it has to return the base and even after doing that it cannot get its landing gear to go down. I know that American military aircraft are tested to ensure that they are hardened against electro-magnetic interference and I wonder if Russia skip that step in the development of their aircraft?

I found the video again. My phone does not have enough memory left to load it.

If that does not work, the title of the youtube video is

The End of Putin is Approaching: USA Air...

I get a 404 not found message. But this works. If this is the only source, it seems rather sketchy. I can't imagine how one aircraft could cause another's landing gear to malfunction. I reminded me of a HS friend who claimed there was some super "Iranian computer virus" that could cause CPUs to destroy themselves via remote electronic means. My BS meter is on maximum watching this.

The above video, while showing cool ground combat footage in the Ukraine, is rife with errors. The Russians did not "shoot down" the US Reaper drone, but forced it down in a dumb collision that almost brought down the SU-35. It lost all cred there. BTW, we also have an AVIATION FORUM for these topics. The Russian Aerospace Forces seem pretty much self-jamming these days with 'all bling no basics' as 'Tuber Perun put it, but highly doubt we have a "switch" otherwise the Reaper would have used it....

Last edited:
No idea what an "F-13" is, maybe a supersecret modified YF-12?:
5xitl5b43k251.jpg.webp

🙃😉😝🥃🍻

I saw a YouTube video today that was mostly talk and very little video, indicating that at least one, and possibly more than one Russian SU-35 was trying to persuade at least one and possibly more than one United States F-35 to leave the area over the sea next to Finland. And according to the YouTube video audio the American fighter jet got fed up with the harassment of the Russian and used some kind of a jamming device that apparently damaged the Russian jet and made it have to return to a land base we're upon it was unable to get its landing gear to work and had to do a belly landing resulting in it sliding into a sandpile after the end of the runway. Apparently the pilot of the Russian jet was fortunate to have escaped with his life and not be killed.

One of the things I find interesting is that there was no mention of an American EA- 18 G growler aircraft being used for the jamming of the Russian aircraft.

Which makes me wonder is there some kind of a pod that can be installed in a F-35 to give it the ability to send out a powerful jamming signal? It would be interesting to know the details of this encounter?

Does anyone have any more detail about what actually happened?

AESA radar can jam, but not sure that is what happened here (if anything at all)

AESA radar can jam, but not sure that is what happened here (if anything at all)

My guess is not much if anything and certainly not what the vid stated. The premise that the Russians sent tanks and combat forces to the Finnish border on any notable level is absurd and the Finns might have been laughing a bit not only because history is not kind to Russian aggression in Finland but because the Finnish military might be the most adept of any EU nation at handling what's left of the Russian military with a large artillery collection and pretty good armor and air assets. And it's tough for the Russian to project power there when they largely stripped St. Petersburg of most of its strategic defenses to send to the Ukraine last year....

Just a side bar about software causing actual damage to the hardware of a computer. While that is not likely, many many years ago, the company I worked for produced a computer that had bi-directional chip sets for the data in and out of different boards. Those bi-directional chips were controlled by software and if the software had an error and a board was trying to output data onto a bus and at that time had another board putting data on that bus then the result was that some of the bits would be being pulled Low by one board while being pulled High by another board and those bi-directional bus driver chips would fail and have to be replaced. So, it is plausible that software problems can damage some kinds of components on some kinds of computers.

Also, the Stuxnet story very well may be true about a virus that America produced that looked to see that it was on the correct Iranian centrifuge computer and caused the centrifuges to overspin and be damaged. If a disk drive could be caused to overspun or remain spinning at a very high speed too long it's possible that that could cause damage.

Last edited:

Nah. Stuxnet was something that deliberately bypassed safe operating conditions. And this friend mentioned it in the early 90s - claiming it was a creation by Iran to potentially damage computers in the west.

CPUs simply don't burn themselves to failure. I've been there when a CPU overheated, and it went into a thermal protection shutdown. That happens well before it would suffer permanent failure. I did have a problem in that the battery diagnostics seemed to be corrupted. I checked the battery again when I restarted and it was reporting negative capacity.

Just watched the video. Ukranian propaganda. If this happened at all, it is more likely the SU left due to its fuel state, and landed belly up due to either the pilot forgetting to put the gear handle down, or a malfunction in the mechanism.
Not knowing the source, I felt the likelihood of this story was near zero. After seeing the source, I'd have to drop the "near" modifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back