Toyota and 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
WHY??? would you use a 5W-20 when you can use a 0W-20???
How 'bout less VI improver polymer to form deposits, and lower volatility (typically, depending on brand)?

That may not be the case here.

M1 EP/AP 0w-20 is 60-70% PAO, whilst the regular M1 5w-20 is 20-30% PAO, 20-30% Group III.

Also some esters.
Here's a link.
https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/what-is-ester-oil

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
My wife's Toyota Sienna requires 0w-20, but the book says you can use 5w-20 in an emergency, but must change back to 0w-20 next OCI.

Govt regulations. The car maker have to encourage car owners to use the same viscosity oil as used in the MPG tests for CAFE.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
My wife's Toyota Sienna requires 0w-20, but the book says you can use 5w-20 in an emergency, but must change back to 0w-20 next OCI.

Govt regulations. The car maker have to encourage car owners to use the same viscosity oil as used in the MPG tests for CAFE.

Also Toyota’s owners Manual (Toyota USA)states for high speed driving or high load use a higher viscosity may be used. Then it proceeds to give a viscosity temperature chart for Puerto Rico. Read deeper.
Toyota requires you to use at a minimum api sl, sm or sn oils (mine do)” recomending “resource conserving oils.

Last edited:
... How 'bout less VI improver polymer to form deposits, and lower volatility (typically, depending on brand)?
M1 EP/AP 0w-20 is 60-70% PAO, whilst the regular M1 5w-20 is 20-30% PAO, 20-30% Group III.
Different price levels. To be fair, compare "regular" to "regular," or EP to EP within the same brand and price level. By "typically," I meant typically or in general, not in every case.

... How 'bout less VI improver polymer to form deposits, and lower volatility (typically, depending on brand)?
Different price levels. To be fair, compare "regular" to "regular," or EP to EP within the same brand and price level. By "typically," I meant typically or in general, not in every case.

I know, I figured I'd just toss that out there though
wink.gif

I do not believe Toyota has made significant changes in the 3.5lt engine since it was introduced in the Sienna in 2007. They recommended 5w30 at that time. I have tried many different oils and weights over the years and none made any difference in the observed gas mileage. My butt-ometer noticed more sewing machine noise with 0w's so went back to the originally spec'd 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back