2018 VW Tiguan EA888 g3 engine calls for 0w-20; can I use 5w-20?

TOFTT, I've always read people say follow the spec, and multitude of example exploded engines cited, yet the internet is dearth of such examples. I think they are just mass market bad engines and explode regardless. 🤷‍♂️ (but dont say that out loud to a VW owner)

1702902956757.jpg

TOFTT, I've always read people say follow the spec, and multitude of example exploded engines cited, yet the internet is dearth of such examples. I think they are just mass market bad engines and explode regardless. 🤷‍♂️ (but dont say that out loud to a VW owner)

View attachment 193573
My VW 1.8L at >2x stock power, 100K miles, no oil consumption and good compression says hold my beer.
large.jpg
A93A6766.jpg

haha let me make a slightly lesser trollish post.

If a mass market vehicle exists, a large majority is getting its oil changed at a place that doesnt care about VW spec 569.420. Most likely its chugging along with Safety Kleen, Triax, Sinopec or some other oddball name brand. Hopefully its not the tripe oil they call Ultra1Plus, I'd ask for a refund.

haha let me make a slightly lesser trollish post.

If a mass market vehicle exists, a large majority is getting its oil changed at a place that doesnt care about VW spec 569.420. Most likely its chugging along with Safety Kleen, Triax, Sinopec or some other oddball name brand. Hopefully its not the tripe oil they call Ultra1Plus, I'd ask for a refund.
You aren't wrong. Anymore though Euro oils are pretty common and using them isn't any more money or hassle and I suspect all the chain quick lube joints have them. Basically ST 5W30 and send it.

Many, many threads on this most popular of topics. Here are a few previous ones, if you need more I can post them.

Having said that, the oil for your Tiguan is not dependent on the winter rating. It is dependent on the VW approval. This is not a proper question for a VW that specifies an approval. As far as I know there are no VW 508 00 oils with a 5W winter rating. You should not be using what you have "on hand" here.

I don’t own any BMWs, but in your example I would bet money on the fact that an engine that required LL-12FE would be fine on an LL-04 oil, but an LL-04 engine would not be fine on an LL-12FE oil. And I’d take double or nothing that BMW wouldn’t warranty the latter example.
My car is only one data point, but the last time the oil was changed in my BMW 535d (before I bought it), the BMW dealer used LL-12FE 0W30 oil. The owner's manual calls for LL-04 5W30 oil. I've read something about BMW going to LL-12FE for MY 2016+ cars that originally called for LL-04.

As kschachn proved, this question is asked, answered, debated extensively, even though there is no real resolution. But I actually have another question on top of this. Removing considerations like factory recommendations, price, and "what you have on hand," is there ever an actual reason to choose a 5w20 over a 0W20 oil? From where I sit, the 0W20 oil has all the advantages: more selection, price, protection, etc.

I know the engine calls for 0w-20,
The engine actually calls for vw 508. you can stop right there.(as previously mentioned)

Later on in the advanced class you can ask which oil for your bmw.. which requires a bmw spec and not a viscosity. ;)

Last edited:
Does the owner's manual say to use that specific oil and no other? Some cars mention several oils you can use of different viscosities, any one of which is fine, sometimes depending on conditions like ambient temperature or driving style.

That said, the viscosity difference between 0w20 and 5w20 at above freezing temps is essentially nil.

Last edited:
Does the owner's manual say to use that specific oil and no other? Some cars mention several oils you can use of different viscosities, any one of which is fine, sometimes depending on conditions like ambient temperature or driving style.
With VW 508 00 approval there are no other allowable grades within the approval. And due to the fact that the fuel economy testing for the vehicle was performed with that grade, VW cannot list nor otherwise encourage the use of another grade.

Back