“Toughest” 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wemay Sir , we have go wait for new roUnd of Testing for real specs on PCMO hopefully from PQIA . As per Mr Dnewton3 lot of Indepent users get by with a 5w 20 blend ,providing its a D1G2 spec for time being . My wife Escape Ford recomend 5W 20 ,so I am not going to deviate from that intead of 0w 20 .No need to for me . Others can use whatever they wish .

Originally Posted By: LEADED
Wemay Sir , we have go wait for new roUnd of Testing for real specs on PCMO hopefully from PQIA . As per Mr Dnewton3 lot of Indepent users get by with a 5w 20 blend ,providing its a D1G2 spec for time being . My wife Escape Ford recomend 5W 20 ,so I am not going to deviate from that intead of 0w 20 .No need to for me . Others can use whatever they wish .

I agree. d1G2 has made a difference in what we've seen thus far.

Originally Posted By: wemay
This is QSUD 5w30 current TDS...

Yup, definitely a stand-out from the other SOPUS products if it indeed uses D93 and not D92, as it is a solid 30C higher than PP and PUP
21.gif

I think we need to be careful comparing TDS right now. A lot of what's going on is folks are comparing dexos1 vs dexos1Gen2 TDS and that is muddying the waters so to speak.

Here are more dexos1Gen2 synthetic blends from SOPUS...

5W20

0W20

...and 5W30 for arguments sake

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

We do however have flashpoint, for which the M1 EP 0w-20 sits at 235C. This compares favourably to QSUD 5w-20 @ 236C, is significantly better than PUP @ 207C, PP @ 205C and is higher than Mobil's own EP 5w-20 @ 230C.

But in the grand scheme of things - will those numbers have any real significance?
Asking for a friend.......

No, it just points to less volatile bases really.

Less volatile, meaning lower Noack, correct? Thanks in advance for the response.

Are all the flashpoints using the same method, too? I've noticed before across Shell's PCMO line that the same method isn't always used, oddly enough.

2 Specs are used in PCMO , spec D92 or D93 . Mobil use D92 which is lower FP .Most problems with API oils is their abilty to shear , will see after 10 KM run what FP will be . On Escape EB on D1 G2 Castrol MAG . D1 G2 looks promising ,I am not a big fan of API . If I buy a 9 cTs oil I want to it stay that weight for the duration . Most API oils when they shear , FP will suffer . ACEA on the other hand are tested for the duration , not just when oil is fresh .Thanks Mr Wemay

Originally Posted By: Garak

Are all the flashpoints using the same method, too? I've noticed before across Shell's PCMO line that the same method isn't always used, oddly enough.

No, the Shell ones are using the method that yields a lower number, you have to add 20C to them to make them the same as the Mobil ones, but that still puts them a fair ways below them.

Originally Posted By: rummy

Less volatile, meaning lower Noack, correct? Thanks in advance for the response.

Basically. This particular oil likely has little VII in it was well, since it is mostly PAO-based. This I'm sure helps.

Idemitsu 0w20 is very good. Regularly priced at $29.99 per 4 quart jug at Advance Auto or a few bucks less on Amazon. Good stuff.

No, the Shell ones are using the method that yields a lower number, you have to add 20C to them to make them the same as the Mobil ones, but that still puts them a fair ways below them.

I didn't check too closely, aside from their own differences in methods within their own lines.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I didn't check too closely, aside from their own differences in methods within their own lines.

Yes, the inconsistency is lovely, LOL
wink.gif

I believe the Rotella and Formula Shell sheets were using one method, then went off on the other for the Pennzoil sheets.
wink.gif
Of course, this makes comparing HDEOs relatively easy, but louses up PCMO comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back