Gm 5.3L L84(Newest Gen) with DFM...Which Dexos Approved 0W-20?

Those that run this motor, and the given known DFM lifter issues, what 0w-20 Dexos Approved Brand and oil line does this motor like the best?...Key notes, this vehicle is a 2020 GMC Sierra that does tow from time to time, and is located in Michigan so sees all four seasons, OCI is about 4k miles.

If you are worried about DFM, just run a Range like I do. Have not noticed any difference in mileage and
you will also get rid of the silly start/stop.

If you are worried about DFM, just run a Range like I do. Have not noticed any difference in mileage and
you will also get rid of the silly start/stop.
I run it in L9 which turns off the DFM,...BUT by no means a guarantee the lifters won't collapse....no getting around the flawed design but wondering which 0W-20 Dexos oil would be ideal for this engine.

What is the issue with the lifters that’s related to oil?
GM hasn't said what the issue is, they won't even publicly acknowledge the issue exists, even though GM dealership service departments would certainly disagree with the amount of 5.3L and 6.2L lifter collapses they see,...some say it has something to do with the spring inside the lifter, some say it has to do with small passages on the lifter blocking oil flow,...can't find a definitive answer out there,...only advice I have seen is change oil often, buy an extended warranty, and hope for the best.

My 2017 5.3 Sierra has 87k. Valvoline Advanced 0W20 is all that’s ever been used. No problems.
Now that’s it’s got higher miles I mix 0W20 and 5W30. Oil pressure holds just over 40 PSI even during the heat of summer.
Another edit: Ignore the oil reminder and change at 5k regardless of what oil you use. I’m right at a quart low at 5500 miles. I never add oil just change it.

Last edited:
I run it in L9 which turns off the DFM,...BUT by no means a guarantee the lifters won't collapse....no getting around the flawed design but wondering which 0W-20 Dexos oil would be ideal for this engine.
There is no design flaw on a domestic pushrod V8. These are put together with poor quality lifters. These same problems with lifters are happening in the aftermarket also.

There is no design flaw on a domestic pushrod V8. These are put together with poor quality lifters. These same problems with lifters are happening in the aftermarket also.
Your guess is as good as any. I haven't seen a good solution other than do a DOD delete and new cam from Texas Speed

Those that run this motor, and the given known DFM lifter issues, what 0w-20 Dexos Approved Brand and oil line does this motor like the best?
The lifter issues are supplier-related. GM and FCA (Stellantis) source their lifters from Chinese manufacturers. Not all Chinese manufacturers are bad; however, as consumers, we don't get to know who these suppliers are. Some bad Chinese manufacturers gamble that a certain percentage of defective products mixed with good ones will be absorbed by the customer without issues. So, instead of returning or scrapping the lifters that don't pass quality assurance, they are shipped along with the good ones. In GM's case, it might also be a design flaw. To make a long story short, no motor oil can mitigate bad engine design or faulty components.

Key notes, this vehicle is a 2020 GMC Sierra that does tow from time to time, and is located in Michigan so sees all four seasons, OCI is about 4k miles.
Given your use case, if you want to improve the odds for your engine without overspending on lubrication, I recommend you switch to a 5W-40 Euro spec motor oil. Something like Quaker State Euro 5W-40 would be an excellent choice. It will also decrease your blow-by and provide adequate MOFT. Going a grade up from 0W-20 to 5W-30 within the same motor oil category (ILSAC) will do absolutely nothing for your engine. Neither will staying with 0W-20, no matter the brand, formulation, approvals, etc. Motor oil isn't magic or physics-defying.

The lifter issues are supplier-related. GM and FCA (Stellantis) source their lifters from Chinese manufacturers. Not all Chinese manufacturers are bad; however, as consumers, we don't get to know who these suppliers are. Some bad Chinese manufacturers gamble that a certain percentage of defective products mixed with good ones will be absorbed by the customer without issues. So, instead of returning or scrapping the lifters that don't pass quality assurance, they are shipped along with the good ones. In GM's case, it might also be a design flaw. To make a long story short, no motor oil can mitigate bad engine design or faulty components.

Given your use case, if you want to improve the odds for your engine without overspending on lubrication, I recommend you switch to a 5W-40 Euro spec motor oil. Something like Quaker State Euro 5W-40 would be an excellent choice. It will also decrease your blow-by and provide adequate MOFT. Going a grade up from 0W-20 to 5W-30 within the same motor oil category (ILSAC) will do absolutely nothing for your engine. Neither will staying with 0W-20, no matter the brand, formulation, approvals, etc. Motor oil isn't magic or physics-defying.
I'll look into your suggestion...thanks.

My 2017 5.3 Sierra has 87k. Valvoline Advanced 0W20 is all that’s ever been used. No problems.
Now that’s it’s got higher miles I mix 0W20 and 5W30. Oil pressure holds just over 40 PSI even during the heat of summer.
Another edit: Ignore the oil reminder and change at 5k regardless of what oil you use. I’m right at a quart low at 5500 miles. I never add oil just change it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mobil1 EP
^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^
Gas-to-liquid (GTL) technology base oil outperforms petroleum base, in-that it allows less additives to be used inside that jug of gasoline motor oil. Not only that, it seems to render a quieter engine (my opinion). Can't find Mobil-1 EP? Then try Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. It draws rave reviews regarding it's 0w20 motor oil.

If you can't find it, then Pennzoil Platinum uses the same technology. If you want a quieter engine from a list of oil additives, then Valvoline Advanced or EP brings globs of the rumore engine-quieting Molybdenum additive...... more than the other name brand oils boasting Dexos 1 Gen 3 on their label.

We all want a quiet engine. I'm just not sure my current fill of Amsoil oils is giving me the quietness I desire. Me testing Amsoil on the wife's sewing machine / manual typewriter-sounding Kia engine is the best way for me to tell if the extra $$$ investment will work. I bought enough Amsoil Euro for four more oil changes total. I'll know more in the year ahead.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^
Gas-to-liquid (GTL) technology base oil outperforms petroleum base, in-that it allows less additives to be used inside that jug of gasoline motor oil. Not only that, it seems to render a quieter engine (my opinion). Can't find Mobil-1 EP? Then try Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. It draws rave reviews regarding it's 0w20 motor oil.

If you can't find it, then Pennzoil Platinum uses the same technology. If you want a quieter engine from a list of oil additives, then Valvoline Advanced or EP brings globs of the rumore engine-quieting Molybdenum additive...... more than the other name brand oils boasting Dexos 1 Gen 3 on their label.

We all want a quiet engine. I'm just not sure my current fill of Amsoil oils is giving me the quietness I desire. Me testing Amsoil on the wife's sewing machine / manual typewriter-sounding Kia engine is the best way for me to tell if the extra $$$ investment will work. I bought enough Amsoil Euro for four more oil changes total. I'll know more in the year ahead.
I am very tempted to try Pennzoil Platinum with the BOGO sale at Meijers....would be $3.25 a quart for that.

Having working in the auto industry, I can tell you the suppliers don't ship bad parts knowingly if they wanna stay being a supplier. When I was still in automotive engineering, I can't tell you how many calls I was on in regards to supplier issues and how to contain them before they made it on to vehicles. If bad part are getting through, it means the quality check procedure isn't robust enough. The other option could be, the required failure mode doesn't have a easy/cheap way to do a quality check in a production setting. But if that's the case, they should still be doing the more intensive quality checks on at least one part every shift.

Back