Gm 5.3L L84(Newest Gen) with DFM...Which Dexos Approved 0W-20?

Literally just about any synthetic oil in the weight specified by your manual will do. Get the cheapest you can find napa has their house brand on sale sometimes. the last batch of oil I got for my 2019 silverado with the 5.3 was truegard oil. It came in a 5 gallon pail , Iv never heard of it but it was cheap and had the dexos logo so in she went. I personally wouldnt worry much about brands anymore virtually all modern oils are up to task, just change it at 5,000 or a little sooner and all will be good. just my opinion.

The point is GM changed to DFM in 2018 and has had it in the 5.3 and 6.2 V-8’s since. I believe it is still standard in those engines 5 years later. Who at Bitog has the highest mileage fully engaged DFM system out there? There might be a chicken dinner for the winner!

0FD1AD31-5384-4300-BD7C-A395403C3F1D.jpeg

Reactions: CKN
In my Corvette it's referred to as AFM (active fuel management") but it only switches from V4 to V8 mode, it never goes down to just two cylinders. A lot of people have had issues with bad lifters, as well as other driveline issues that can possibly be attributed to the vibrations caused when it switches back and forth between modes. Things such as the torque tube, transmission and torque convertor. For the first few years that I had my Corvette I let it go into V4 mode often and I ended up having to have the torque tube replaced under warranty. It's not clear if AFM caused it, or if it was just bad bearings that occurred due to heat (the heat from the exhaust is a known problem for the driveshaft bearings) But just to be safe I have been driving mostly in manual mode now (paddle shifting the automatic transmission keeps it out of V4 mode) I haven't had any hint of a problem with my lifters so far, fingers crossed I've got a good one here. I want to go well beyond 500,000 km on this engine someday. Hopefully the higher HTHS of M1 ESP 5w30 is of some help in this regard.

The point is GM changed to DFM in 2018 and has had it in the 5.3 and 6.2 V-8’s since. I believe it is still standard in those engines 5 years later. Who at Bitog has the highest mileage fully engaged DFM system out there? There might be a chicken dinner for the winner!

View attachment 211083
Not sure on the DFM (I have both AFM/DFM) - but under 90k …
One of our engineers has 170k on AFM - zero driveline issues …

Back