“Toughest” 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
The newest lists gives #1 position to Mobil 1 0w-40 FS.

I missed something ~ what list?

Originally Posted By: AirBull
Was at Wal-Mart last night looking at my options for my new GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.2L V8 in it that calls for 0w20 (essentially the same engine as in the Corvette that calls for 5w30,) and I saw this Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE product. Same GM Dexos 1, GM 6094M, and API CF specs. Being in Central Texas I'd like a little more protection in the Summer months, and I might consider this over the 0w-20 if I do in fact decide not to go with 5w-30.

I was looking at that yesterday. Mobil 1 5W-30 actually has a lower cst @40 than 0W-30.... makes no sense to me.

Was at Wal-Mart last night looking at my options for my new GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.2L V8 in it that calls for 0w20 (essentially the same engine as in the Corvette that calls for 5w30,) and I saw this Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE product. Same GM Dexos 1, GM 6094M, and API CF specs. Being in Central Texas I'd like a little more protection in the Summer months, and I might consider this over the 0w-20 if I do in fact decide not to go with 5w-30.
Why? What is supposed to happen in central Texas that requires "more protection"? I ran 0W-20 towing between 8K and 9K pounds in temperatures up to 117°F (hotter than central Texas likely ever has been) as well as in the mountains, the UOAs were fine, at 158K miles the truck still ran fine, used no oil to speak of, AND the OCIs were between 10K and 17K miles.

Pardon my saying so but there is far too much overthinking in this thread.

AFE must have some pretty good TBN retention. That base number seems a little low, but I've seen a few UOAs showing that it held up well out to 12k miles.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
10w-30 will work well in just about any application that doesn't require extreme cold starting. My .02

I run 5w-30 in all my cars and trucks ........... all year round.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
AFE must have some pretty good TBN retention. That base number seems a little low, but I've seen a few UOAs showing that it held up well out to 12k miles.
Ran mine between 15K and 17K and still had TBN remaining (2.9).

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Mobil 1 0w-20 EP

Mobil 1 0W-20 High Mileage

Add to that M1 0-20AFE.

Originally Posted By: JustN89

Speaking of TBN retention, I called Mobil tech some time ago and ask that question. They told me their testing showed TBN with M1 oils would drop down to 2-3 in 10K,(Average driving conditions) but hold steady at that number all the way up to 15-20K which I believe as I have a friend that uses Reg M1 5-30, and changes it every 20-25K. His Chevy 5.3 had 350K when he sold it with no internal engine problems. Why sold? When his third trans failed. Got $900 for the truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 AP 0w20 would get my vote.
Just because it is most expensive 0w20 at Wal-Mart, or are there any proven results of its outstanding performance?

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 AP 0w20 would get my vote.
Just because it is most expensive 0w20 at Wal-Mart, or are there any proven results of its outstanding performance?

Latest additive technology. Mid-saps. Most likely to have the best base oils of the entire lineup.

Reason is some Manu specs 5w 20 over 0w . Better Teost lower Noack & most important much less VII , Higher Flashpoint . To all M1 Drummers try to compare similar products . I will take a group 111 5w 20 anyday . I don't care about EPA mandates well maybe if I live in the ARTIC .

Originally Posted By: LEADED
To all M1 Drummers try to compare similar products .

What similar products? What readily available oil costs the same as M1 EP 0w-20 and has the same volume of PAO in it?

Your post basically states that you are willfully going to spend the same amount on a Group III 5w-20 because "awesome" even if it is the same price as the Mobil 1 product, but aren't willing to put the Mobil product in the same category because it isn't "similar" even with that cited price parity
21.gif

You are essentially excepting M1 EP 0w-20 from the comparison because it doesn't jive with your logic. That's exactly why it gets recommended, because it is an exceptional standout, and being available on the shelves of your local Walmart, NAPA....etc and for roughly the same price makes it not only comparable, but a bloody bargain.

Also, since many manufacturers don't publish NOACK, TEOST and the like, sliding that in there as a verifiable metric seems a tad spurious.

We do however have flashpoint, for which the M1 EP 0w-20 sits at 235C. This compares favourably to QSUD 5w-20 @ 236C, is significantly better than PUP @ 207C, PP @ 205C and is higher than Mobil's own EP 5w-20 @ 230C.

The flashpoint used by Mobil 1 is D 92 , Castrol , Penn , use D 93 which correlate to being 20° Higher . I will use Magnatec over M1 , the froof is in the pudding .

The flashpoint used by Mobil 1 is D 92 , Castrol , Penn , use D 93 which correlate to being 20° Higher . I will use Magnatec over M1 , the froof is in the pudding .

What proof (which I assume you meant, instead of "froof")?

Even if you add 20C to the numbers above, they are still below Mobil's
21.gif
(with the exception being QSUD).

Also, Castrol doesn't publish anything useful in their PDS which is why I omitted their products from my list. Hard to reference information for a product when the data sheet just says "greater or equal than".
21.gif

I'm sure Magnatec, like most Castrol products, is an excellent oil. That doesn't change the fact that M1 EP 0w-20 is a majority PAO product that can be had the same price as most OTS synthetics, making it a relative bargain, nor does your apparent disdain for the brand.

We are still comparing 0w 20 Vrs 5w 20 . I believe that PP have higher flash point than QSUD. Trying to be more clear my proof using 5w 20 in fleet use . 5w 20 more shear stable lower Noack = VAL SYNPOWER 5W 20 is 7.3 , D1G2 current . I am only telling what I experiance sorry can't be more spesific Iam limited. Thank God we have choice .

We are still comparing 0w 20 Vrs 5w 20 . I believe that PP have higher flash point than QSUD. Trying to be more clear my proof using 5w 20 in fleet use . 5w 20 more shear stable lower Noack = VAL SYNPOWER 5W 20 is 7.3 , D1G2 current . I am only telling what I experiance sorry can't be more spesific Iam limited. Thank God we have choice .

I quoted the PP Flashpoint above
smile.gif
It's 205C, or 225C if we convert it. QSUD is the stand-out there.

If we compare Valvoline to Valvoline, yes, you are 100% correct, the Synpower 5w-20 has lower NOACK and the like when compared to their 0w-20. I'm saying that M1 EP is an outlier (and AP is now too, but more expensive) because of it being majority PAO, meaning lower VII treat-rate, lower pour point, lower volatility and higher flash point. It's atypical, which is why, IMHO, it's a bargain given where it is slotted price-wise.

BTW, here's the PDS from PP 5w-20, hope that helps:

And agreed, thankfully we have choices!
cheers3.gif

The Amsoil SSO 0W-20 VOA has been, in my opinion, the best showing of any of these d1G2 oils. Again though, that's just my opinion and I can't say if it's worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back