Straight talk or Crickett?

Some important info to know regarding your phone as a T-mobile customer .

In order to use your phone with a T-Mobile MVNO, it must support VoLTE on T-Mobile’s network. It should also support LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 12 and for even better coverage bands 66, and 71. For optimal 5G network coverage, the phone should support the 5G bands n71 (600MHz), n260 (28GHz), n261 (39GHz), and n41 (2500MHz). Bands n71 and n41 are more widely available than bands n260 and n261. T-Mobile’s n71 band is more to provide coverage both indoors and outdoors than fast data speeds. It’s a primary 5G band that T-Mobile’s nationwide network consists of. T-Mobile’s band n41 is a compromise between speed and coverage. It’s available nationwide and should offer customers faster speeds than LTE. Bands n260 and n261 provide blazing-fast speeds much faster than LTE, but unfortunately are only available in a limited number of locations nationwide.

Please Read post #1 before responding . OP wants to get rid of T-Mobile, service in his area isn't very good . So quit recommending T-Mobile , Google Fi and Tello there one in the same .
Agree, funny though, I was interested and completely confused why he said with Cricket and then reversed himself.
I do get it, if it was about cost... but he never clarified (yet)as to your question. This is a bazaar thread *LOL*

Another thing, he is assuming Tracphone is Verizon. I am not seeing that, Tracfone IS a subsidiary of Verizon but I do not think that means Tracphones entire business model is being thrown away now that Verizon owns them.
Straight Talk is also a Tracfone brand. From what I read they still use all three networks. If the OP truly wanted to be on a particular network Cricket was the way to go for ATT OR Redpocket allows him to chose the network and POSSIBLY Tracfone MAY allow him to choose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TracFone_Wireless

PS @Pablo what's up with your post #62? *LOL*

Another thing, he is assuming Tracphone is Verizon. I am not seeing that, Tracfone IS a subsidiary of Verizon but I do not think that means Tracphones entire business model is being thrown away now that Verizon owns them.
I assumed that was the case also but the article says they will contact customers when they want them to convert to Verizons Network

That's interesting. All I knew is that my Tello was Tello, not that it's anyone else. Never thought about it. But it's excellent for the price.

That's interesting. All I knew is that my Tello was Tello, not that it's anyone else. Never thought about it. But it's excellent for the price.
In the US there are only three major networks:

1) AT&T
2) T-Mobile
3)Verizon

All the rest I believe are considered MVNO's . Here's a list of the T-mobile MVNO's >>>>>>>

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 12-34-22 T-Mobile MVNOs Compared In 2023 - BestMVNO.jpg

Agree, funny though, I was interested and completely confused why he said with Cricket and then reversed himself.
I do get it, if it was about cost... but he never clarified (yet)as to your question. This is a bazaar thread *LOL*

Straight Talk is also a Tracfone brand. From what I read they still use all three networks. If the OP truly wanted to be on a particular network Cricket was the way to go for ATT OR Redpocket allows him to chose the network and POSSIBLY Tracfone MAY allow him to choose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TracFone_Wireless

PS @Pablo what's up with your post #62? *LOL*
I didn’t really care for Verizon’s premium price for service. Cricket expects folks to prepay 3 months at least for service. Screw that. Dunno what I’ll do. So much conflicting info here lately. Maybe just get flip phone from tracfone and be done

I didn’t really care for Verizon’s premium price for service. Cricket expects folks to prepay 3 months at least for service. Screw that. Dunno what I’ll do. So much conflicting info here lately. Maybe just get flip phone from tracfone and be done
53s
Your post made me think of a strategy. Carry a flip phone for daily use. Keep a smartphone without a carrier on hand if ever needed, like a q r code. Use public WiFi for the occasional smartphone requirements.

53s
Your post made me think of a strategy. Carry a flip phone for daily use. Keep a smartphone without a carrier on hand if ever needed, like a q r code. Use public WiFi for the occasional smartphone requirements.
I’m working on that at moment with tracfone.

I can be wrong as it has been a while but I think the only reason they ask for 3 months prepay is they are giving you the iPhone for $99.

I assumed that was the case also but the article says they will contact customers when they want them to convert to Verizons Network

Yes, I would think you are correct. I could not think of a reason why they may not, unless for some reason tracfone was going to be left to operate in its own way, meaning forcing a conversion to Verizon would not increase the profit margin but based on your post we know it will be all Verizon someday.

Thought they migrated all TF customers to Verizon after VZN bought Tracfone? I had to change to a Verizon SIM on my wife’s iPhone 6 (she had at the time) & on my SE (which is my iPhone 8 now, switched when work went to Android). It’s been at least 3-4 years ago now, and ATT has gotten steadily worse since then anyway.

I can be wrong as it has been a while but I think the only reason they ask for 3 months prepay is they are giving you the iPhone for $99.
If I’m bringing my own phone and number to them; I’m surely not paying couple hundred bucks for service.

To wander a bit here; who is using a flip phone with just talk? I’m thinking of Lively.com I could easily do without a smartphone.

Thank You

Cricket expects folks to prepay 3 months at least for service. Screw that. Dunno what I’ll do. So much conflicting info here lately. Maybe just get flip phone from tracfone and be done
This is incorrect, you do not have to pay 3 months in advance
If I’m bringing my own phone and number to them; I’m surely not paying couple hundred bucks for service.
Just to repeat, you do not have to pay anything in advance. Like many providers they will give you additional discounts if you chose a plan to pay multiple months at a time but NOT a requirement.

You might be best going into a Cricket store, I think everyone has answered everything they can. I even saw a post where you were going to get an iPhone but now back to a flip phone.
You should call these companies and ask them directly. I think you are misreading and getting confused on the options that are available to you but they are not required options.

Here is the Cricket rate plans. You can pay as little as $30 a month and not pay anything in advance.

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 9.06.14 AM.png

Here is more =

Cricket appears to cater only to phone addicts with plans that are all unlimited data and expensive or equally expensive but with a data limit. No inexpensive options.

This is incorrect, you do not have to pay 3 months in advance

Just to repeat, you do not have to pay anything in advance. Like many providers they will give you additional discounts if you chose a plan to pay multiple months at a time but NOT a requirement.

You might be best going into a Cricket store, I think everyone has answered everything they can. I even saw a post where you were going to get an iPhone but now back to a flip phone.
You should call these companies and ask them directly. I think you are misreading and getting confused on the options that are available to you but they are not required options.

Here is the Cricket rate plans. You can pay as little as $30 a month and not pay anything in advance.

View attachment 177952

Here is more =
I didn’t see talk only plans. I’ll check at cricket store after work.

Meanwhile, this morning T Mobile sent me this👍

Attachments

• IMG_7003.jpg
    IMG_7003.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 8
I didn’t see talk only plans. I’ll check at cricket store after work.

Meanwhile, this morning T Mobile sent me this👍
No there are no talk only plans for Cricket. I was just answering your OP on what provider and also your reference to iPhone.
Lively.com will cost you roughly close $25 a month if you include tax for talk and text only assuming you allow them to automatically debit the monthly payment.
The Cheapest Cricket plan gives you some data for $30 a month tax included, and I believe also auto debit.. Options are good to have.

If you just want a flip phone like the Jitterbug maybe Best Buy is for you at $19 a month plus fees and taxes. Unlimited talk and text.

Last edited:
Back