Pure talk

After some thought I decided to keep my iPhone XR a little bit longer probably until apple stops pushing updates to this device. Also wife surprised me with AirPod pros for Christmas so I’m an apple head for now. My primary line is married to T-Mobile family plan and have been using google voice for my side business it works but also limited to certain things texting is very generic etc. my co worker is on pure talk after doing some research they seem to be legit and reasonable also like the fact they’re veteran owned and support the armed forces. Besides all that they use esim which I’m taking advantage of with the XR and like the fact they’re using ATT towers. So here I am waiting for the port to process, Could be 3-5 business since google voice is considered a voip/landline. Anyone here using pure talk?

Go for it, your friend is happy with it, the rates are great, there is no contract so you’re not stuck with them = nothing to lose except saving money. Plans look attractive if your happy with the price, if this it about price only Red Pocket and some others include taxes and fees but all are less than the 3 primary call phone companies by a lot.

I never had them but past history with Straight Talk, Cricket and Red Pocket all worked perfect over a decade of use.

I happen to be with TMobile right now because over 1.5 years ago they gave me almost 2 free iPhone 13s on a 55+ plan in exchange for my older iPhones.
In 3 more months I am considering going back to a 3rd party provider if it’s worth it. Right now our net cost is only $63 (net) for two unlimited lines on their now Magenta 55+ plan. If they don’t keep me grandfathered in because the plan they replaced it isn’t as good I’ll be going back to 3rd party. Never had a bad one and your friend can confirm.
My history contains using cell phones for 23 years.

Last edited:
Puretalk up and active.

Attachments

• IMG_4034.jpg
    IMG_4034.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 10
Downside of iPhone XR is it only does LTE and majority of providers have limited LTE on towers now with majority of faster 5g. You in iPhone 12 or greater for 5g.

Downside of iPhone XR is it only does LTE and majority of providers have limited LTE on towers now with majority of faster 5g. You in iPhone 12 or greater for 5g.
LTE is plenty fast with excellent coverage. No carrier has decommissioned any 4G/LTE frequencies on their networks “towers” what would happen if 5G went out? 4G/LTE will be around for a while.

LTE is plenty fast with excellent coverage. No carrier has decommissioned any 4G/LTE frequencies on their networks “towers” what would happen if 5G went out? 4G/LTE will be around for a while.
They leave a limited amount of LTE on tower upgrades with majority 5G if provider pays rent to tower owner. LTE is near useless around here while 5G has full bars.

I asked Verizon and that is their approach on network upgrades.

You are correct and chances are you will have less issues with LTE in more rural remote areas. You are not at a disadvantage not having a 5g phone.

You are correct and chances are you will have less issues with LTE in more rural remote areas. You are not at a disadvantage not having a 5g phone.
Yeah I’m not fully sold on the dry grind of 5G just yet. If I didn’t have a choice I’d embrace it but definitely not looking for it

I have Verizon and their coverage is awful on LTE. Am not happy but I think it's because I have prepay and they are snubbing their nose at me (that's a hunch, I can't prove it). If they sunset Tracfone I'll probably give up my cell number instead of upgrading to a phone that does 5G, I only make a few texts each month.

Yeah I’m not fully sold on the dry grind of 5G just yet. If I didn’t have a choice I’d embrace it but definitely not looking for it
I’m definitely not saying to anyone don’t buy a 5G device, but I am saying to anybody if they’re happy with their current LTE phone chances are they won’t know a difference for a very, very long time. of course discounting the fact that all new electronic devices have faster, processors and electronics but it’s much less apparent in a relatively up-to-date LTE phone. In some cases 5G currently gets in the way of speedy LTE service.

Phones can switch back and forth. My wife iPhone XR and daughters old iPhone SE both useless in many dead spots Verizon addressed. They don’t add LTE capacity /towers just 5G into their networks. My wife is like you and hangs onto her iPhone XR despite the huge gaps.

I have Verizon and their coverage is awful on LTE. Am not happy but I think it's because I have prepay and they are snubbing their nose at me (that's a hunch, I can't prove it). If they sunset Tracfone I'll probably give up my cell number instead of upgrading to a phone that does 5G, I only make a few texts each month.
If you’re on prepaid and in a congested service area you definitely won’t get network prioritization that’s what you’re most likely witnessing the coverage wouldn’t be less but data speeds will be significantly less and calls might not connect as fast.

If you’re on prepaid and in a congested service area you definitely won’t get network prioritization that’s what you’re most likely witnessing the coverage wouldn’t be less but data speeds will be significantly less and calls might not connect as fast.
Semi rural area. Most towns are like 2 to 5k people. But lots of hills.

Data? don’t make me laugh.

I went out today, my car said the trip to the bank was 12 miles. Wife sent me a text right after I left, needed to get something at the grocery store. I opened a bank account, then went to the grocery store, then drove home.

Got the text as I walked into the house. Needless to say, I didn’t get what she wanted.

Semi rural area. Most towns are like 2 to 5k people. But lots of hills.

Data? don’t make me laugh.

I went out today, my car said the trip to the bank was 12 miles. Wife sent me a text right after I left, needed to get something at the grocery store. I opened a bank account, then went to the grocery store, then drove home.

Got the text as I walked into the house. Needless to say, I didn’t get what she wanted.
That’s a bummer

Back