Horrendous AT&T cell service

With my iPhone 13 Pro on verizon it works better when I turn off 5G.

On LTE at home I got 94 down, 6 up, 40 ms. There was a time when 94 down was unbelievable.

I’m not paying $10/mo extra it’s already expensive, I think around $35 plus tax not sure not gonna stew over it. Also I get a stipend from work.
On the phone forums I'm a member of, lots of folks turn off 5G to get better, more stable speeds. And it can give you a big boost in battery life 😀 Unfortunately AT&T won't let you turn it off 😕

But your speeds will let you do whatever you want... that's better than a lot of folks home internet speeds that I know lol.

Which all brings it back to all service complaints are generally local.

I have better ATT service when I am in the rural areas of MN than I do at home in the suburbs... many times on 5G. go figure...

We have all three services - ATT hotspot, Verizon work phones, T-Mobile personal phones. I don't see much, if any difference between them. At my house none of them work except on the roof. That is not surprising since they mostly use the same towers. Rural coverage is pretty bad for all of the carriers. It was a lot better in the old analog days.

T-Mobile generally has the fastest data speeds. Verizon and AT&T extend further from the towers. On campuses, ATT and/or Verizon often have local transmitters that work in the buildings & stadiums. Sometimes all 3 work when a 3rd party operator (e.g. Crown Castle) does the retransmission.

On the phone forums I'm a member of, lots of folks turn off 5G to get better, more stable speeds. And it can give you a big boost in battery life 😀 Unfortunately AT&T won't let you turn it off 😕

But your speeds will let you do whatever you want... that's better than a lot of folks home internet speeds that I know lol.
Thanks for your post. When I walk in the hood, my 5g keeps cutting off the music on my phone. My feeling is the T-Mobile 5g wireless internet is used by people in the circle and is messing with my phone. So thanks to this post by @J Dubbs, I did a deep search on my Sammy A53 running on Mint Mobile and was able to shut off 5g. We will see if it helps on my next walk. Thanks

Thanks for your post. When I walk in the hood, my 5g keeps cutting off the music on my phone. My feeling is the T-Mobile 5g wireless internet is used by people in the circle and is messing with my phone. So thanks to this post by @J Dubbs, I did a deep search on my Sammy A53 running on Mint Mobile and was able to shut off 5g. We will see if it helps on my next walk. Thanks
Update: It worked not a single cut out this morning. Thanks again.

long + interesting read. just a cell phone talker when really needed + cheep is good IMO! had ATT go phone plan for years but when 4G became mandatory i retired my flip + went to redpockets $60 yearly plan after some issues. GSMA sim did not work but GSMT did, good enough for me. when ATT deleted my girlfriends rollover balance, said too much reserve-bull i encouraged her to redpocket BUT she has NO service at her house + neither do i, but it worked for me a few months ago, so back to ATT go phone plan, her phone works upstairs buy a window or outside + my "better" TCL phone DONT work at her house!!!

Just seeing this thread.... We had Verizon for 16 years and switched to AT&T two years ago. Initially it was outstanding, but as the OP has reported, tower coverage went to **** around June-July.

My neighbor has AT&T and uses his WIFI tether for internet (he only does email). He called and complained every week in July and finally, technician told him this....

"The Govt is forcing us to activate 5g and slow down 4LTE and 3g. You are going to have terrible service until we can build more towers because 5g doesn't reach out as far."

Don't know if that is true, but that is what my neighbor was told. The guy also said it is every carrier.... He said his buddy that works at Verizon is reporting horrible coverage as well.

Just seeing this thread.... We had Verizon for 16 years and switched to AT&T two years ago. Initially it was outstanding, but as the OP has reported, tower coverage went to **** around June-July.

My neighbor has AT&T and uses his WIFI tether for internet (he only does email). He called and complained every week in July and finally, technician told him this....

"The Govt is forcing us to activate 5g and slow down 4LTE and 3g. You are going to have terrible service until we can build more towers because 5g doesn't reach out as far."

Don't know if that is true, but that is what my neighbor was told. The guy also said it is every carrier.... He said his buddy that works at Verizon is reporting horrible coverage as well.
It's true. Your friend heard right. I haven't heard about the govt forcing the carriers to switch, but they're all switching and it's going to be a work in progress for a while to come... so there's going to be a step backwards in service for awhile.

One of the only workarounds is to switch to 4G/LTE only when you notice you're having signal issues like Hermann did above... then switch back to auto select when you're in an area with better 5G 😉

Update: It worked not a single cut out this morning. Thanks again.
You're welcome 😉 I'm glad it worked for you.. that's about the only workaround we have as customers, but it's a pretty good one 👍

If you ever have troubles you can switch back to 5G... just switch back and forth as needed 😃

You're welcome 😉 I'm glad it worked for you.. that's about the only workaround we have as customers, but it's a pretty good one 👍

If you ever have troubles you can switch back to 5G... just switch back and forth as needed 😃
Yes it is. Was successful again on this mornings walk. Didn't cut out once in my 29 min walk.

Anyone know how to turn 5G off on an i14?
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with iPhones ☹️

A quick Google search would probably give you a fast answer though. It's most likely going to be under the network settings for your SIM card or ESIM 😉

...My neighbor has AT&T and uses his WIFI tether for internet (he only does email). He called and complained every week in July and finally, technician told him this....

Hate to say it, but folks are so gullible for stuff like this. Reality is the opposite - the carriers have wanted to move much faster, but were held back by not having spectrum to work with, which was resolved, but the same entity that made that spectrum available did nothing to alleviate the conflict with the FAA and that same spectrum. That led to delays while that was all sorted out...

The carriers continue to build out these networks as if they don't, they may be left behind by a competitor who does...

I'll say it till I'm blue in the face - generalities about ATT or Verizon having terrible service means little since all service is local. Verizon and T mobile stink in many of the places I frequent, but ATT has built their network out (partially as part of FirstNet, but regardless, its there, and the others aren't today.) My 5G service at my home in the City stinks, but at my cabin at the end of 30 miles of gravel road and 22 miles from the Canadian border (as the crow flies) is excellent... Of course the 4G service at my home was also poor, so not a surprise that 5G isn't any better.

My parents and siblings have Verizon. Myself and my wife are on AT&T. So far (in both Carolinas) our service is evenly matched. On latest trip to a lake Verizon phones were useless, while my AT&T kept chugging along with calls, messages, and GPS. They had to rely on my Google Maps to follow us out to civilization, before Verizon phones finally regained service.

Who you going tingle it’s? Seems itsnregional up here
Hard to say since AT&T bought up several.
Visible wireless does work well here, and I do know its Verizon, but the deals are good.
But I will shop. T-Mobile and Boost-Mint etc. do not do well here. Cricket used to be the bomb but they
are now AT&T. Consumer Cellar.......... another AT&T deal. Homework ahead but no more AT&T

Back