Switched from T-Mobile to US Mobile

All carriers suck one way or another. I always want to be on that carrier that im currently not on.
Rural areas certainly can get tricky, I guess mountains too. In 22 years, never been stuck with bad service. Though I have traveled almost every back road and every corner of the state of SC and can say, it can get dicey at times. I used to be glad my company vehicle was tracked by GPS in case I never returned one day they would know where to look *LOL* Even been to some scary looking places.
Typically though, in those areas, either my Verizon work phone or ATT personal phone would work, many times one or the other and sometimes but rarely none. I can see if you're stuck with one service in those areas.

Well, I finally took the prepaid plunge. I've been a T-mobile customer in one way or another since '07 (technically left for Sprint in '10, which was then merged back into TMO), but paying $65/mo for one line while using absolutely none of the "perks" just became too wasteful to ignore.

I took advantage of the US Mobile port-in offer: bring over your line and get 30 gigs of premium data with unlimited talk/text and 5 gigs of hotspot free for 30 days, after which I'll be on the "Unlimited Starter" plan which offers 35 gigs of premium data monthly for $29 all-in. In addition: after 12 months of service I'll receive a $50 prepaid Mastercard reward.

The port-in process went incredibly smoothly. 99.9% of porting issues are caused by the end user not having the correct information, so I triple checked my acct #, transfer PIN, and billing details. Within 60 seconds of completing the transaction on the USM website, my phone lost signal and I received a text message from TMO saying they were sorry to see me go. About 3 minutes later, the USM website refreshed and gave me a big ol' QR code for my new ESIM. I added the ESIM, let the phone do it's thing, and rebooted. That was IT. Everything works out of the gate, including WiFi calling and 5G stand-alone.

An added bonus of USM: during setup, you can choose to utilize EITHER the Verizon network or the TMO network depending on what works better for you in your area. They're also beta testing a feature which will allow you to add a second "auxiliary" network/ESIM for an additional $15 which will allow you to switch between providers on the fly in areas of poor signal.

Their phone app is amazingly sleek and simple, and both their customer service and their CEO are very active on Reddit. When I posted a "Hello" post on Reddit, the CEO replied personally with a welcome and thank you.

Ok, enough of the ad read. But seriously, if you're looking to save some serious money and support a smaller company give US Mobile a try.
I've been on USM Warp 5g (verizon) for 6 months now with no issues. If you travel internationally, their premium GSM 5H (tmobile) plans has 10gb of international data and native roaming. You can switch between verizon and tmobile plans in about 10 minutes. Super slick and can actually take calls, send texts, and have data and not need to worry about an international esim.

All carriers suck one way or another. I always want to be on that carrier that im currently not on.
With the inexpensive MVNOs you can have access to multiple carriers for relatively low prices.

I think I've outlined my current stable of carriers in the javaContour household.

I have Mint (TMO) and Visible+ (VZN) on my phone for about $55/month to have both services. oilBabe has Boost Infinite which is Dish/TMO or ATT towers and Visible+ That's exactly just over $60/month as BI is $26.xx with taxes and fees while Visible+ is $35/month all in.

If we don't have coverage with one of our carriers, no one does.

Well, I finally took the prepaid plunge. I've been a T-mobile customer in one way or another since '07 (technically left for Sprint in '10, which was then merged back into TMO), but paying $65/mo for one line while using absolutely none of the "perks" just became too wasteful to ignore.

I took advantage of the US Mobile port-in offer: bring over your line and get 30 gigs of premium data with unlimited talk/text and 5 gigs of hotspot free for 30 days, after which I'll be on the "Unlimited Starter" plan which offers 35 gigs of premium data monthly for $29 all-in. In addition: after 12 months of service I'll receive a $50 prepaid Mastercard reward.

The port-in process went incredibly smoothly. 99.9% of porting issues are caused by the end user not having the correct information, so I triple checked my acct #, transfer PIN, and billing details. Within 60 seconds of completing the transaction on the USM website, my phone lost signal and I received a text message from TMO saying they were sorry to see me go. About 3 minutes later, the USM website refreshed and gave me a big ol' QR code for my new ESIM. I added the ESIM, let the phone do it's thing, and rebooted. That was IT. Everything works out of the gate, including WiFi calling and 5G stand-alone.

An added bonus of USM: during setup, you can choose to utilize EITHER the Verizon network or the TMO network depending on what works better for you in your area. They're also beta testing a feature which will allow you to add a second "auxiliary" network/ESIM for an additional $15 which will allow you to switch between providers on the fly in areas of poor signal.

Their phone app is amazingly sleek and simple, and both their customer service and their CEO are very active on Reddit. When I posted a "Hello" post on Reddit, the CEO replied personally with a welcome and thank you.

Ok, enough of the ad read. But seriously, if you're looking to save some serious money and support a smaller company give US Mobile a try.
Congrats on taking the plunge into prepaid. Did you go with Verizon or T-Mobile on USM?
I've been doing prepaid since about 2015. I like the flexibility of being able to change carriers at anytime with my factory unlocked phone.

Congrats on taking the plunge into prepaid. Did you go with Verizon or T-Mobile on USM?
I've been doing prepaid since about 2015. I like the flexibility of being able to change carriers at anytime with my factory unlocked phone.

I stayed on the T-Mobile network. Verizon's 5G is a joke where I love, and my girlfriend is almost always with me and she's on Verizon so we're usually pretty well covered.

If the T-Mobile network works for you and low cost is the primary objective, a lot of people here like Tello.
I looked into Tello and it is very reasonable. I did notice that using WiFi still counts against your data. I find this disadvantageous and would not work well for me. My Google Fi plan does not count WiFi against my data usage, I'm on WiFi 99% of the time.

What is even weirder is if you go to the TELLO website, check out the exact wording of their policy on WiFi calling and do some FAQ/blog searches on TELLO's policy on WiFi data usage. If I'm interpreting it correctly, using WiFi calling will still result in deduction of call minutes (not data) from your TELLO plan, just as if you were using cell tower service in the field. Using WiFi data will not result in consumption of your mobile data allocation from your plan.
This makes sense. WiFi calling uses your minutes, data does not. I wonder if @RTexasF mean't to say that instead of the other way around.
You do not need a cell provider to access data using your phone if you have a WiFi connection, much like any computer.
You do need a Cell provider whether you are using Wi-Fi or Cell to complete phone calls for you.

Last edited:
This makes sense. WiFi calling uses your minutes, data does not. I wonder if @RTexasF mean't to say that instead of the other way around.
You do not need a cell provider to access data using your phone if you have a WiFi connection, much like any computer.
You do need a Cell provider whether you are using Wi-Fi or Cell to complete phone calls for you.
TELLO is the only carrier that I'm aware of that consumes talk minutes from the plan allocation when calling on WiFi. Our household has phones on postpaid contracts with T-Mobile & Verizon, as well as monthly prepaid plans with Tracfone and Mint Mobile (MVNOs operating on Vzw & T-Mo networks). When calling on our WiFi network, no talk minutes are consumed from the prepaid plans. The T-Mobile & Verizon postpaid plans have unlimited minutes that go un-tracked.

Whether you're talking on wifi or LTE, they do have to pay someone a fraction of a cent per minute to transport your call out of IP space into the traditional phone number space.

I grouped data & calls as the same which they are not, my mistake. Regardless it's rather odd the way they deal with WiFi. With unlimited calls it really wouldn't matter but it's kinda goofy.

I grouped data & calls as the same which they are not, my mistake. Regardless it's rather odd the way they deal with WiFi. With unlimited calls it really wouldn't matter but it's kinda goofy.
Im pretty set to stay with T-Mobile company right now, as our plan for a major provider is no longer available if I give it up. Roughly just over $60, unlimited everything, including tethering, data on airplanes, out of country text and some calling for a reasonable fee I think, monthly actual payment is $70 for two lines, but must take into account they give you free Netflix so net cost is about $62 for two lines.

I will be traveling outside the USA and will be worth it to stick with them this year but after that, the US Mobile looks compelling if it is still available OR if T-Mobile forces me into another plan.
Cell service prices have definitely gone up significantly from the majors which is also affecting the secondaries.

Im pretty set to stay with T-Mobile company right now, as our plan for a major provider is no longer available if I give it up. Roughly just over $60, unlimited everything, including tethering, data on airplanes, out of country text and some calling for a reasonable fee I think, monthly actual payment is $70 for two lines, but must take into account they give you free Netflix so net cost is about $62 for two lines.

I will be traveling outside the USA and will be worth it to stick with them this year but after that, the US Mobile looks compelling if it is still available OR if T-Mobile forces me into another plan.
Cell service prices have definitely gone up significantly from the majors which is also affecting the secondaries.
T mobile will force you into another plan. Not if but when.

T mobile will force you into another plan. Not if but when.
“Force you” is a strong word.
T-Mobile is known to grandfather in prices and plans. If that ever changes (which it may or may not) and you find something else at a better price you switch. Like any service.
Right now the plan price and all its features is unmatched by anyone.

I’m a former user of straight talk, cricket and red pocket and can switch back to Red Pocket or US Mobile in 30 minutes (or less) if or when something changes to something I don’t like. 🙃

I do agree at some point in my life the cost of any cell service will go up in price. I’m already surprised how much others have gone up in just two years.

T-Mobile is known to grandfather in prices and plans. If that ever changes (which it may or may not) and you find something else at a better price you switch. Like any service.

I’m a former user of straight talk, cricket and red pocket and can switch back to Red Pocket or US Mobile in 30 minutes (or less) if or when something changes to something I don’t like. 🙃

I do agree at some point in my life the cost of any cell service will go up in price. I’m already surprised how much others have gone up in just two years.
Take the good stuff while you can. T-Mobile currently has the best reception and price for our age and location. Sr Magenta or some such name, which actually has changed but not the price.

They did tee me off once so far. They won't take the credit card and still give the online pay discount, so debit card it is. No % points.

Last edited:

Nonsense that it "unmatched by anyone ". Google Fi beats them in every point...and it's T-Mobile's network. I pay less and get more. It's more streamlined. I don't care anymore about T-Mobile Tuesday silliness...download an app to save $2.75 on a Pizza Hut pizza or, wear a magenta jumpsuit and get 25% off a Whopper Jr. in some filthy BK...or some other useless marketing promotion.
After 50+ trips to Europe, I don't need international text, calling or data of any sort anymore.
They were once very good. Not anymore.

Back