Switched from T-Mobile to US Mobile

Well, I finally took the prepaid plunge. I've been a T-mobile customer in one way or another since '07 (technically left for Sprint in '10, which was then merged back into TMO), but paying $65/mo for one line while using absolutely none of the "perks" just became too wasteful to ignore.

I took advantage of the US Mobile port-in offer: bring over your line and get 30 gigs of premium data with unlimited talk/text and 5 gigs of hotspot free for 30 days, after which I'll be on the "Unlimited Starter" plan which offers 35 gigs of premium data monthly for $29 all-in. In addition: after 12 months of service I'll receive a $50 prepaid Mastercard reward.

The port-in process went incredibly smoothly. 99.9% of porting issues are caused by the end user not having the correct information, so I triple checked my acct #, transfer PIN, and billing details. Within 60 seconds of completing the transaction on the USM website, my phone lost signal and I received a text message from TMO saying they were sorry to see me go. About 3 minutes later, the USM website refreshed and gave me a big ol' QR code for my new ESIM. I added the ESIM, let the phone do it's thing, and rebooted. That was IT. Everything works out of the gate, including WiFi calling and 5G stand-alone.

An added bonus of USM: during setup, you can choose to utilize EITHER the Verizon network or the TMO network depending on what works better for you in your area. They're also beta testing a feature which will allow you to add a second "auxiliary" network/ESIM for an additional $15 which will allow you to switch between providers on the fly in areas of poor signal.

Their phone app is amazingly sleek and simple, and both their customer service and their CEO are very active on Reddit. When I posted a "Hello" post on Reddit, the CEO replied personally with a welcome and thank you.

Ok, enough of the ad read. But seriously, if you're looking to save some serious money and support a smaller company give US Mobile a try.

Well, I finally took the prepaid plunge. I've been a T-mobile customer in one way or another since '07 (technically left for Sprint in '10, which was then merged back into TMO), but paying $65/mo for one line while using absolutely none of the "perks" just became too wasteful to ignore.

I took advantage of the US Mobile port-in offer: bring over your line and get 30 gigs of premium data with unlimited talk/text and 5 gigs of hotspot free for 30 days, after which I'll be on the "Unlimited Starter" plan which offers 35 gigs of premium data monthly for $29 all-in. In addition: after 12 months of service I'll receive a $50 prepaid Mastercard reward.

The port-in process went incredibly smoothly. 99.9% of porting issues are caused by the end user not having the correct information, so I triple checked my acct #, transfer PIN, and billing details. Within 60 seconds of completing the transaction on the USM website, my phone lost signal and I received a text message from TMO saying they were sorry to see me go. About 3 minutes later, the USM website refreshed and gave me a big ol' QR code for my new ESIM. I added the ESIM, let the phone do it's thing, and rebooted. That was IT. Everything works out of the gate, including WiFi calling and 5G stand-alone.

An added bonus of USM: during setup, you can choose to utilize EITHER the Verizon network or the TMO network depending on what works better for you in your area. They're also beta testing a feature which will allow you to add a second "auxiliary" network/ESIM for an additional $15 which will allow you to switch between providers on the fly in areas of poor signal.

Their phone app is amazingly sleek and simple, and both their customer service and their CEO are very active on Reddit. When I posted a "Hello" post on Reddit, the CEO replied personally with a welcome and thank you.

Ok, enough of the ad read. But seriously, if you're looking to save some serious money and support a smaller company give US Mobile a try.
Good move. I left T-Mobile in October after having been with them for 20+ years. They had become intolerable with their veiled threats to move customers from existing plans. Went to Google Fi...which is simply T-Mobile without any headaches and significantly cheaper.

If the T-Mobile network works for you and low cost is the primary objective, a lot of people here like Tello.

If the T-Mobile network works for you and low cost is the primary objective, a lot of people here like Tello.

Looks like Tello is $25.83 for the same amount of data as US Mobile. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for the great CS that USM offers.

Nice catch, among the best that I can tell. Im looking for "the catch" even though we have had cell service since around 2001, around 2010 we went all prepaid, saved a fortune between three services in the following progression, Straight Talk, Walmart Family, Cricket and Redpocket.
Redpocket won long term until 2022 when we went to T-Mobile Magenta 55+ plan, actual payment $70 with a host of included options like airlines, overseas text/talk/data a reasonable cost if not free, paid for basic Netflix subscription.

The key for the switch from Redpocket though was a one time special for the plan included trade in our older iPhones and get two new (at the time) recently released iPhone 13's for around $300, $1,600 worth of new phones with a low rate, it was hard to pass up. We ALWAYS purchased our own phones.
In two months it will be the two years of bill credits paying for the phones and will decide then if the options are worth the $70 which is still reasonable for a primary provider, unlimited everything with two lines. They no longer offer this plan but I might stay with them as long as we stay grandfathered. I cant believe how much the rates have gone up from the primary 3 there is now a 4th primary up and coming, Dish owned Boost offering ok deals.

If we switch we may wait a year, have a trip overseas coming up and the T-Mobile might be worth to hang onto for now, if not thanks for this review, it will be in the top few to look into more. Pay once a year and get two lines for $30 a month is pretty amazing. I don know if I will be able to wait until the end of the year *LOL* it is very good.
The monthly plan brings us a little closer for two lines with our TMobile cost of $70 a month, simply because they pay $8+ a month of our Netflix subscription and other perks. Still save money, just not as much. I like that 10gb data plan, even though we are on our phones ALL THE TIME using data, it's on our wifi network anyway. 10 per line would be perfect, we never come close to that, again because of wifi in our house.

Thanks again for posting.

That 10gb plan is almost impossible to beat

Last edited:
We have three phones utilizing T-Mobile Magenta. It is $120 a month which I consider fair but not a bargain. I myself don't need the Magenta perks but my Daughter utilizes them and my wife to a smaller degree. I like the idea of unlimited data but personally don't need it, here again my wife and daughter are always on their phones doing something it seems. So the question I have is, can I approach T-Mobile and possibly lower my bill for the existing services or do I have to go somewhere else to have equivalency at a lower cost? I currently receive a veterans discount but the wife and I who are seniors don't get that discount.

I switched from Straight talk(AT@T) to Mint Mobile(T Mobile) and had problems with calls going in and out. I called them and they switched me to another tower and it has been working fine. I’m rural and there’s not many towers around but I have 5g at my property. T Mobile has the best coverage in WV with AT@T being second. It’s $30 per month if you prepay for 6 months and $25 if you pay for a year. 5gigs a month data.

We have three phones utilizing T-Mobile Magenta. It is $120 a month which I consider fair but not a bargain. I myself don't need the Magenta perks but my Daughter utilizes them and my wife to a smaller degree. I like the idea of unlimited data but personally don't need it, here again my wife and daughter are always on their phones doing something it seems. So the question I have is, can I approach T-Mobile and possibly lower my bill for the existing services or do I have to go somewhere else to have equivalency at a lower cost? I currently receive a veterans discount but the wife and I who are seniors don't get that discount.
insider discount coupon code and avail of as many free lines a you can get if you want tmobile direct.

If that doesnt work, check out red pocket, mint mobile, or as many trial esim tmobile virtual telecom providers to weed out the garbage

I switched from Straight talk(AT@T) to Mint Mobile(T Mobile) and had problems with calls going in and out. I called them and they switched me to another tower and it has been working fine. I’m rural and there’s not many towers around but I have 5g at my property. T Mobile has the best coverage in WV with AT@T being second. It’s $30 per month if you prepay for 6 months and $25 if you pay for a year. 5gigs a month data.
I'm getting 15gb of data/month on Mint for $20/month on the pay for a year interval. I had one $90 referral, so my cost for the ended up being $150+ taxes and fees.

Maybe I'm misreading your $25 for 5gb of data???

Since Dish bought out Republic Wireless, my plan is under the Dish family which is Boost Infinite. The carriers are Dish, TMO, and AT&T. $25 a month for "Unlimited" which translates to 30gb premium data, talk, text, after that...downgraded I guess. BUT, because I was a RW customer, or I use SO little data (.4gb in two weeks) they've been refunding me $7.xx each month. And I've been told it's "forever". We'll see. But it is nice to have a $17.xx bill.

Yeah you did OP. Been with USM for a year now. Just got the annual unlimited starter plan to save a few more dollhairs.

We have Magenta 55+ for two lines, $70 payment however those plans have now OR are now being phased out to a more profitable T-Mobile plan, we are grandfathered in so far. I'll never pay more, ready to switch at any time. Good deals from Boost Mobile (the new dishnetwork) and someone in here posted about US Mobile, great rates, also a standby is always Redpocket.
We use the Magenta perks, such as free basic netflex, they pay for THEN we add on the next higher level of Netflix, so T Mobile pays half the cost.

Here are the new Senior plans and THEY are expensive, as T Mobile now adds taxes and fees, unlike Magenta 55+ everything is included, $70 actual payment.

Something else for you

I dont know your daughters age ... but it may be time for her to switch if she wants to keep those options that you dont use?

US Mobile that the OP posted is only $15 a line if you prepay a year or $25 monthly with more data (that you wont need) ALL prices include Taxes. Redpocket is much the same. Looks like US mobile might be less confusing to some people

Last edited:

Please update us over time on how it's working out. I think most likely it will be as expected. Which is no different than if you have one of the major providers.

5 lines TMO legacy Unlimited basic with auto-pay $137.92 including taxes and fees, is what we're doing. 50GB premium data total on account, but when that is exceeded the cut is not as drastic as the 1Mbit that US Mobile states. And we go way, way over 50GB across our account, that's around what we're actually doing per line per month. We have YouTube Premium and we stream a lot, I never listen to FM radio any more.

Back