OW-16 vs 0W-20 viscosity specs - does it really matter.

^^^ Engines are designed to use 0W-8 and 0W-16 with less risk of wear than engines that are not using design aspects (wider bearings, different materials & coatings, etc) to use oils that thin. The API logo and ILSAC designation on the oil bottle are different for 0W-8 and 0W-16 because they don't want people using it in engines not specifying oil that thin - ie, not designed to go that thin.

Engines designed to use 0W-8 and 0W-16 certainly can use thicker oil viscosiy without issues, as seen by same engines used in other areas of the world specifying a range of viscosity up to xW-40. But using 0W-8 or 0W-16 in an engine not specifying it could have issues. Going up in viscosity poses no real risks, but going down in viscosity could.

As a :thin oil guy", 0W-16 should only be used in engines calling or it...

As a :thin oil guy", 0W-16 should only be used in engines calling or it...
Yes, that's why: "The API logo and ILSAC designation on the oil bottle are different for 0W-8 and 0W-16 because they don't want people using it in engines not specifying oil that thin - ie, not designed to go that thin."

I am not contesting your experiences. You sound like a knowledgeable and skilled tech. However I can assure you that my Toyota dealership here in Vancouver Canada uses the Toyota Branded 0W-20 motor oil, as confirmed by multiple UOA where additives packages confirm it's their blend. I am not saying this is the norm, but saying there are dealerships that don't use the cheapest bulk they can fine.

A big difference between a "tech" and a petroleum engineer. I was also a "tech" for a while. But now I can find my butt with both hands since not being one!

Um, they use the best bargain from a major manufacturer. It might be Castrol or Pennzoil locally but it will still meet the specs!
+1

I have plenty of oil analysis reports of dealer oil changes on my Jeep Gladiators and nothing about those reports suggested they did not meet spec.

It's simply not worth the risk for any dealer-franchise to not use the advertised oils meeting the specification. I know this first hand as an "ex-tech". Both the oil companies and the OEM WILL COME FOR YOU. ...

Fahrvergnügen said:
An engine is not designed or built to run a specific weight. For this engine outside of USA it calls for anything from 0w16 to 15w40. It says for fuel efficiency use 0w16.

Yeah, um, wrong...

Straight from the UK manual 2020 rav4 ... temp chart with grades from 0w-16 to 15w-40

Correct, no engine is designed to run a specific grade. An engine can have design features that allow it to run on certain lower HT/HS oils without excessive wear, but this does not preclude the use of a higher grade. Physics matters.

Correct, no engine is designed to run a specific grade.
Except when it comes to 0W-8 and 0W-16, because those engines are designed to run oil that thin. And of course, they can also run oil that is thicker than that too. 0W-8 and 0W-16 even have their own API logo and ILSAC designation because they don't want people putting it in engines that don't specifically recommend/spec those viscosities because it could do harm.

Straight from the UK manual 2020 rav4 ... temp chart with grades from 0w-16 to 15w-40

Does he have a 2020?

And, um, "CAFE Standards"?

Except when it comes to 0W-8 and 0W-16, because those engines are designed to run oil that thin. And of course, they can also run oil that is thicker than that too. 0W-8 and 0W-16 even have their own API logo and ILSAC designation because they don't want people putting it in engines that don't specifically recommend/spec those viscosities because it could do harm.

And for the record, I would never drive any of those!

Back