Opinions on the Hyundai Veloster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealer actually offered me 10,000 about 6 months ago when I was just seeing what was out there. It's weird I see some people get low trade in on our dart group and then other get really decent offers.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by ram_man
Trouble is I want something with a stick and something car meet friendly..I know that's dumb but it's my thing. Also the dart trade in here is 7-8000 retail is 11,000 or so. Mine has literally everything. That's based off kbb.

You've actually gone to a dealer and they offered you 7-8 grand for it? Or you are going by KBB? As I said, that year seems to be going for around 9 up here, so I'd expect them to be less down there
21.gif

In fairness, his is a loaded GT.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Ugh. I had a Veloster once as a rental in Texas. If I had been there more than two days I would have demanded a different car it was so bad. The rearview mirror and window are essentially useless, with the window size about that of a nickel. The DCT was gutless, and the three-door configuration is retarded. Other than that, I'm sure it's a great car
smirk2.gif

Had my choice of rental cars in San Diego and took the Veloster. I hated it same as you. Very slow. Not all the zippy car it looks like it would be.

Drove a Kia Soul rental from San Diego to LA and that car was very nice for the money.

Last edited:
From my perspective, Hyundai is hit and miss. After buying my 2017 Elantra I have read of lot of threads on various Hyundai models, many painful. People needing replacement engines at low mileage when properly maintained. If you are looking for long term reliability with a Veloster in my opinion it is a roll of the dice. First is finding one properly maintained and not abused. Second is the Hyundai factor. Around 2011 Hyundai had issues when implementing GDI. This thread explains:

Hyundai's GDI engine was a problem from the beginning

Since reliability is important to you I would start with cars that have the best track record, then choose one with body style you like, not the other way around.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Trouble is I want something with a stick and something car meet friendly..I know that's dumb but it's my thing. Also the dart trade in here is 7-8000 retail is 11,000 or so. Mine has literally everything. That's based off kbb.

You've actually gone to a dealer and they offered you 7-8 grand for it? Or you are going by KBB? As I said, that year seems to be going for around 9 up here, so I'd expect them to be less down there
21.gif

Not knowing the OP's car's mileage nor condition, it's kind of hard to gauge value.

I had one as a rental for 3 days. The base engine is gutless, and the automatic transmission (on this one, anyway) psychotic. The car would be almost undriveable except for using the steering mounted shift paddles to force it to shift at reasonable shift points. The ride was stiff and would be punishing, if the roads are not smooth where you are.

It was cute and my kids loved it for that, and the fact it had 1 door on one side and 2 doors on the other. This is actually a rather practical arrangement versus a straight-up 2 door coupe.

But you're only young once. I had a first model year Fiero and survived it OK. It only died on me on a 55MPH highway bridge with no shoulder once. The girls liked it. Just keep enough credit card reserve for a rollback ride home from the furthest place you plan on taking it.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
So my thought was to trade the dart in for a car a little cheaper 8-9 grand tops

How much do you think your Dart is worth?

My little bro just traded his in on New Years Eve... 2015 Dart GT, mostly loaded (no HID headlights), got $7,500 for it.

Get a used Accord. V6 with stick. They are actually pretty darn fast, and have made the 10Best list longer than the snowflake generation has been alive. You can't go wrong with an Accord, especially if you drive a ton. They're usually very reliable, plus an Accord is way less likely to be neglected and abused than the Dart or the Veloster.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

I know, so here are two examples on the Auto Trader here in Canada:

1. 2014 loaded GT, 6spd manual with leather and navigation, backup camera, heated seats and wheel...etc $8,971 CDN. Has 118,000Km on it (73,000 miles) Link to 2014 Dart GT on AutoTrader

2. 2014 loaded GT, 6spd manual with navigation, camera....etc. Private sale at $8,900 CDN. Has 84,000Km on it (52,000 miles) 2014 Dart GT on AutoTrader

There's an automatic one listed for $9,900
21.gif

A Hyundai Genesis hatchback would be the way to go. A step up from the Veloster. Someone on here with a Veloster said the engine/trans is reliable enough it's everything else that is suspect. Loud, cheap plastic on the inside, rattles, etc....

Originally Posted by wemay
OP, this is a pic i found of mine...

They do look good. I love the look .

I saw a Veloster today. They are cute. I like the idea of the Honda Accord. Someone at work has one with very nice styling. Good luck whatever you decide.

Dealer actually offered me 10,000 about 6 months ago when I was just seeing what was out there. It's weird I see some people get low trade in on our dart group and then other get really decent offers.

They do that when they think they can rip you off for an extra 3000 on the car they are selling you.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Get a used Accord.
Yup. Very car meet friendly, too. Every time you're stuck in traffic, it will feel like you're at an Accord meet-up.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
It's a modern day Geo Storm or Toyota Paseo. All show, no go.

The exception is the just now released N version.

But for an over 30K list price, I expect fixed caliper brakes to be included equipment.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back