$35k rust belt truck - how much rust is acceptable?

I know it's been talked about here in the past, but I wouldn't recommend a long bed CC Frontier anyway, due to their comically huge turning radius. It's only a feature on the long bed/wheel base CC models and continues with the 2022+ models.

The rear seat is pretty tight on them as well. An average sized adult would not be comfortable for long back there.

As much as I like my 2022 CC short wheel base, I couldn't imagine paying $40k+ for one. I bought mine lightly used in Oct 2022 for $33600+ttl and lost sleep over that. Lol.

I was just looking at some used examples. Lot of lightly used, new generation Frontiers for $34k or less. Back seat is abit tight. Not really a big deal as long as the seat exists. I’ll have to see one in person to decide if it’s enough space. It’d be nice if I could store tools under the seat and still seat 2 adults in the back.

But I was on the other side of town earlier today and stopped at the CDJR dealer. They had a handful of 20/21 Ram 1500s in excellent shape. Low mileage and minimal rust. Just a few spots starting on suspension that can be saved and surface rust on the axle. Frame/body was spotless. This may be the move if they can get the numbers to work. I’m starting to notice is the franchise dealers tend to have cleaner trucks. Even the same auto group - they relocate the rusty ones to their used car division and keep the clean ones by the showroom

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
Would really like a Frontier crew cab with the 6ft bed. No availability to order, and all of the 6ft SV trucks in stock are $43-44k which is more than I’d want to spend on an SV. It’d have to be a crew cab since I’m replacing my Accord.

I think I may just have the bite the bullet and buy a PA truck for $35k. What sucks is a lot of the NY trucks often get shipped down south only to be sold and make its way back up here.
Don't take this question the wrong way, as it comes from seeing the majority of truck owners with a 6ft-8ft bed... But how often would you actually use the 6ft bed for its intended purpose? Is 5ft really that inferior? Is that extra 1ft so necessary that it's worth giving up the warranty (new vs used trucks that is) and other benefits of a brand new vehicle?

I have a friend with a 2009 Frontier. 4x4, 6-speed manual, 4.0L V6. Crew Cab and 5FT bed. For those 1-2 times per year where he needs the longer truck bed - he uses the truck bed extension, which connects into the hitch receiver. $45 at Harbor Freight and extends the truck bed length to over 8FT total.
image_21914.jpg
There are other (more expensive, and more aesthetically pleasing) options out there to safely extend the usable truck bed length.
Just weight all the PROS/CONS, and go from there. Good Luck!!!

How many miles on the Accord and F150? Those values seem very low. I think someone mentioned Carmax. You can get their values online by filling in a few answers on their site.

Figure the time and effort of going down south $35k might become $40k after all is said and done. $40k can buy cleaner trucks up here as they are usually 2022s with low mileage. Probably only seen one winter.
It took me less than a thousand bucks to fly to Raleigh, rent a car, get a temporary plate, pay for gas, tolls, hotel, and food to return 847 miles North.

Don't take this question the wrong way, as it comes from seeing the majority of truck owners with a 6ft-8ft bed... But how often would you actually use the 6ft bed for its intended purpose? Is 5ft really that inferior? Is that extra 1ft so necessary that it's worth giving up the warranty (new vs used trucks that is) and other benefits of a brand new vehicle?

I have a friend with a 2009 Frontier. 4x4, 6-speed manual, 4.0L V6. Crew Cab and 5FT bed. For those 1-2 times per year where he needs the longer truck bed - he uses the truck bed extension, which connects into the hitch receiver. $45 at Harbor Freight and extends the truck bed length to over 8FT total.
View attachment 176756
There are other (more expensive, and more aesthetically pleasing) options out there to safely extend the usable truck bed length.

Good mention. For me the extra foot is so I have more room to place heavier items. Concrete, bricks, cinder block etc. I try to place all of it against the cab and right above the axle. Am I hauling this type of stuff daily? No. But the space comes in very handy when I do. And usually when I do I wish I had a one-ton 8ft truck instead lol. Being able to close the tailgate for other longer items and not have so much hanging off is also a big plus, like laminate flooring or 2x4x8s.

Realistically a 5ft bed would work in a pinch. The Frontier with a 5ft bed will do what I need to do if I can enhance the rear end to take on an additional 300-400lb, putting it at 1780-1880lb. If they’re anything like the Tacoma I used to own I’d be disappointed with how much the truck sagged with weight in the back. I had 2 new toilets on the Tacoma once and it had considerable sag for a friend to think my truck was broken. I’d be fine with Sumo springs or Timbrens on the back to enhance the rear end though.

Figure a ram 1500 crew cab 5’7” bed is only 7” longer so it’s not that much bigger. Really only getting a bigger cab and slightly higher payload.

Last edited:
How many miles on the Accord and F150? Those values seem very low. I think someone mentioned Carmax. You can get their values online by filling in a few answers on their site.

86k on the Accord Hybrid and 126k on the F150. Accord was a CPO but had 2 minor accidents on record prior to me buying it. Both were bumper resprays by the looks of it. The F150 has rotted rocker panels and starting to pinhole on the bedside wheel wells. There’s a 1” rust hole on the tailgate. So wouldn’t be something a franchised dealer would retail. They’d have to send it to wholesale so they’re paying me under that.

Figure the time and effort of going down south $35k might become $40k after all is said and done. $40k can buy cleaner trucks up here as they are usually 2022s with low mileage. Probably only seen one winter.
Trading 2 for one your going to get spanked twice. Truly. Have you gotten quotes for both from the likes of Zoom and Carvana?

One winter for me is one too many. Not sure why anyone would accept rust if it can be avoided. Sounds like you already decided, so I guess find the one with the least?

View attachment 176756
Having a 6ft bed was a big problem for my craft mobile because everything had to be water tight and under a topper, had to redo a bunch of my equipment to fit or pull a trailer for big shows

Would really like a Frontier crew cab with the 6ft bed. No availability to order, and all of the 6ft SV trucks in stock are $43-44k which is more than I’d want to spend on an SV. It’d have to be a crew cab since I’m replacing my Accord.
The 6ft bed with CC only comes in the SV trim - and has always been that way. Its been a long pet peeve of Frontier fans. Still, the top trim Pro4X primary difference is it has the rear e-locker, Bilstein shocks, some bent sheet metal skid plates and a few other mostly cosmetic trinkets. They both have the ABLS and hill start assist, etc. The SVCCLB starts over $40K MSRP, so those prices aren't out of line - in today's crazy world.

Having said all that, and I love my Nissans - I have always heard Nissan's in general don't suffer salt all that well. I wouldn't know personally, but that was always a thing on the Nissan boards.

View attachment 176756

I've gotten used to 5' beds. Honestly, on a truck that is mainly a people hauler, it's much easier to park. Those 6' double cab models are pretty darn long!

If I need to haul something, I make due....

wvJoMU3.jpg

ANGaEej.jpg

My Fronty has the 5 foot bed. Its perfectly fine for lumber because it can hang out, and would hang out of a 6 foot bed also. But its really small for a lot of things where 6 feet would be nice. Everything is a trade off. I didn't buy the 6 foot bed because as it is parking in a normal parking spot is doable but another foot would matter a lot of times, not to mention the turning radius. Now that my kids are grown my next truck will be a single cab full size - haven't decided on 6.5 or 8 foot bed yet.

I’ve never heard of Fluid Film, but I did apply sound deadening material by Second Skin, which is essentially under coating. It’s water based so theoretically it can be removed, but I doubt I’ll ever need to.
IMG_2558.jpeg
IMG_2572.jpeg

Check out the chassis rust on this 2019 Silverado at around the 17 minute point.

Eric O has said many times: they last 10 years at most and its past time for the junkyard. Its sad so many people dont maintain their trucks like they should up north, must be rich.

View attachment 176756
I'm subscribed to the old school mentality that a truck is really a moving giant wheel barrow, hence 6 foot is bare minimum, 8 foot is just right. If you whine about parking situations, you shouldnt have a truck or daily drive one.

It can be word of mouth. In May I flew to New Orleans, the dealer picked me up at the airport, his dealership was 5 minutes away. I drove home 500 miles on the same day. The carfax was accurate in my instance. He is a giant Saints fan and had some Superdome bleachers in his office, pretty cool. He also runs a mechanic shop right next door and does whatever work needed before selling. https://www.123getauto.com/

Check out the chassis rust on this 2019 Silverado at around the 17 minute point.

This is what I mean when I feel like I’m expecting too much. Plenty of folks driving around trucks like that I start to question if I should just accept it as normal. I don’t expect to keep the truck for 15 years. If I can get 6-7 years of use out of it I’d be contempt.

The frame itself doesn’t really bother me. it’s got more to do with the nuts, bolts, clamps, lines that rust and pose a risk with either leaks and/or PITA repairs.

My Tacoma was rusty, but the only reason I dumped it for the F150 was because I couldn’t refill the transmission properly after a trans line rotted out because the sight hole bolt was seized to the pan, and the pan bolts were non existent due to rust. A simple fill would’ve require tapping and drilling, new pan/filter. That’s the reason I hate rust.

My F150 has rusty rockers and starting to pin hole on the bed sides, the frame looks like the Silverado in the video, but almost every single fastener is still in good shape other than the header and valve cover bolts. I can live with looking at rust as long as the truck is serviceable.

Back