$35k rust belt truck - how much rust is acceptable?

For $35K I'd say the amount of rust should be somewhere around zero, but as I am sometimes reminded of here, my thinking on values and pricing is about five years behind current reality.

Why not just get a new Canyon and do whatever rust treatment you like from day one.

Or get a used full size shipped from a non rust place using something like Carmax? You can trade in your stuff locally and order the vehicle you want. When the vehicle shows up you do the trade in/pick up process.

Last edited:
There's a guy on here, Steve Lang (macrose) that's a used car dealer/buyer in Atlanta that sources vehicles for customers. He buys out of Florida too and ships at a reasonable rate. He should be able to find you something. Maybe send him a PM and talk off thread.

While the rust looks bad, it is only surface rust at the moment and can be managed quite easily going forward. Of course that would require someone to be pro-active about it.

Still, this proves that all these expensive trucks are nothing but cheap thin cans. Pure profit for the corporations and people fall all over themselves to buy this junk.

Bought a super nice 30K mile 10 year old 1 owner Acura TL from Carmax a few months back that on the surface was truly in excellent shape. Did all of the maintenance that the age would call for and after seeing the rust on the suspension and underbody from just being in Iowa all of it's life killed the love I had for it; I ended up selling it back to Carmax a little over a week ago at a slight loss from what I paid. What worried me most after coming to the realization that I wasn't getting rid of the rust is 1) what I didn't see and 2) the massive PITA it would be to work on changing suspension and various underbody components as time went on. An expensive lesson learned on an otherwise sweetheart of a car.

Just FYI, as I work for a new car dealer group, we deduct from the value of an otherwise perfect car that has lived anywhere north of Kentucky knowing that underbody rust is going to be there.

Got some numbers put together today on a new Honda Ridgeline…hard pass. 9% interest rate. Car isn’t in stock. Couldn’t test drive as all units were sold. Couldn’t even sit in them.

I’ll wait til spring and try looking for a new 3/4 ton. If I’m paying that kind of money I need something that will haul anything I throw at it.

9% APR for new? I thought 7.8% for used last month was bad enough.

Yeah I'd pass too. As much as I like the Ridgeline, or at least the concept of it, that's a hard pass.

Why is a van not a consideration? Superior hauling capabilities, for both passenger and materials. Better fuel economy. Lower repair costs, etc.

If you can find a truck in Louisiana, thats also a good buy. I live half an hour from the Gulf, and go there maybe twice a year. Everyone around here, their vehicles have zero rust, body or frame. No way I could live in a salt belt state, it would drive me nuts to see my truck rust away even with undercoating.

OP, this is what a 20 year old F150’s underside looks like that has lived its entire life within a few miles of Richmond, VA:
IMG_9792.jpeg

I’m from Syracuse, I say go South.

For $35K there better be about as close to zero rust as possible. If not I'd keep looking, or buy new and rustproof it like I've been doing.

That dodge ram with 62k is dismal. I can’t believe it has that much rust in only 3 years.
It really is.

Even if it was purchased and on the road in 2019 for it's first rust-belt winter.

Regardless, any boxed frame light truck from the big 3, Toyota or Nissan get pretty disturbing looking underneath, left untreated through 2-3 winters. I went through this with 2017 and 2019 Ram 1500s and currently a 2022 Nissan Frontier. All bought lightly used.

Back