Auction 2012 HYUNDAI GENESIS 5.0L R-SPEC

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I am the current high bidder on this 2012 HYUNDAI GENESIS 5.0L R-SPEC. Only 25k miles, title is weird but appears to be a non salvage title. I suspect a issue mechanically, as the Seller is not a insurance company. My high bid is $1050, so I would not expect to win, and won't go a penny higher. If this was a insurance seller, I would consider going higher. But no seller listed equals a very likely major hidden issue.

Those 5.0 V8s are actually really good, but that is a weird selling situation.

Reactions: GON
Very quick, faster than my sister's 4.6L V8 Genesis, and handles better too. Is known for being quite an oil burner though. 1qt/1k miles is normal. But if oil level is in check - it should be quite trouble free otherwise. The whole Genesis platform, regardless of the engine (3.8/4.6/5.0), is very picky on sensors and electronics. Only "likes" OEM stuff. As I recently found out - I'm not the only person replacing Genesis alternators often. Seems to be a recurring theme across the board. Easy to replace, but for longevity it may be worth to get OEM. Aftermarket ones last a year, year and a half at best.

• Helpful
That's a weird one. To the original purchaser it has a 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain. And then to the second and subsequent owners it's 5 years or 60,000 miles. Why would in be in a junkyard with 25,000 miles on it? IMHO-possible frame/subframe damage with taped bumper.

That 5.0L is a gem. Loved my 2015. Had a little more pep than it’s replacement, my 2018 has the 3.3TT which is great but that 5.0L…

Update, I inspected the vehicle on Tuesday and thought it was nice, but the interior was nothing to go crazy over. The Buyer of this car does not get to start, test drive, nothing. My max bid would be $1400, which is about $2200 out the door from the auction house (that does not include tax, tile, etc).

Car did not meet reserve at auction yesterday. And remember- something likely very off with the car as it had a clear title, so could have been sold anywhere, but was put up for sale at a auction that doesn't allow running the vehicle or test drives.

With no reserve met- the car was relisted for auction next week, but also a buy it now price of $12,700. That means out the auction house of about $14,100. The car sold very quickly at the buy it now price, and at about 0200 pacific time. Very weird. Way to much risk/ reward at $14k. But I may be missing something, and we continue to see a very strong pricing in used cars.

PXL_20230829_195531425.jpg
PXL_20230829_195615176.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20230829_195537943.jpg
PXL_20230829_195736574.jpg

Very quick, faster than my sister's 4.6L V8 Genesis, and handles better too. Is known for being quite an oil burner though. 1qt/1k miles is normal. But if oil level is in check - it should be quite trouble free otherwise. The whole Genesis platform, regardless of the engine (3.8/4.6/5.0), is very picky on sensors and electronics. Only "likes" OEM stuff. As I recently found out - I'm not the only person replacing Genesis alternators often. Seems to be a recurring theme across the board. Easy to replace, but for longevity it may be worth to get OEM. Aftermarket ones last a year, year and a half at best.
What’s the root cause of failure on the alternators? Do they need a more robust ground, or do they overheat?

What’s the root cause of failure on the alternators? Do they need a more robust ground, or do they overheat?
Still working on figuring that one out. Short recap:
- OEM(?) one died soon after purchasing the car, so blamed time and mileage on that.
- Next DuraLast alternator just wouldn't give a charge randomly, blamed cheap aftermarket (internal) voltage regulator for that one. Lasted a year.
- Swapped it under "Lifetime" warranty, and this time it died due to bearings. Nothing seemed out of alignment, automatic belt tensioner is working like it should, so wonder if cheapest shaft bearings were used by whoever "remanufactures" DuraLast alternators. Got no other explanation here. Lasted a little over a year.
- Currently on alternator #4. Results pending, but so far - so good. Due to alternator's location - it should get plenty of cooling.
- Connected with another Genesis owner and he didn't share much details on the reasons, but did mention that he also had to replace alternator more often than other cars.

Last edited:
Back