Oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
10W30 Castrol GTX has always reduced consumption in everything I have tried it in.

If it were mine I'd likely run 5W30 Maxlife, 5000 mile changes. And just keep it topped off. A quart every 1000 miles is not TOO bad

1 quart in a 1000 at that mileage is not bad at all. If it happened suddenly then something is at fault, if gradual then just normal wear and not much you can do about it

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Our 08 CRV is in the same boat. About a half a qrt every 4K miles. Not bad by any means. I may try a 30W next time or add motor oil saver.

Oh no! Not the snake oil temporary repair...
33.gif

Lubro Moly makes some awesome additives. Is it needed, no. Is it worth a shot, why not.

My personal theory is that when a relatively low mileage engine sees excessive consumption, the culprit is probably sticky rings.
If that is the case, then a strong solvent might be worth a try.
Kreen?
I'd doubt that this thing is all that badly worn after only 145K, especially since you've already gotten rid of Honda's awful VCM implementation, and bad valve guide seals are mainly a thing of the distant past with any engine, so trying a ring unstick solution might be worth a shot.

He was burning only one quart per OCI and he searched for a cure? Times have changed if that seems to be a problem... Auto mfgs still tell you to check oil level, correct?

Originally Posted By: ammolab
He was burning only one quart per OCI and he searched for a cure? Times have changed if that seems to be a problem... Auto mfgs still tell you to check oil level, correct?

It is more than 1 qt. A qt is pretty conservative. I would say more like 1.5 - 2 qt per OCI.

I don't mind adding oil every so often. I am just worried my cats might get poisoned and my sensors all gummed up. These things are not the cheapest on the menu to replace.

Considering you ran the Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic and it did not curb anything -- I would step up a grade and try another HM motor oil. Have you tried multiple or consecutive HM OCIs? Sometimes it takes multiple oil changes for the HM oil to take affect.

Dale

Originally Posted By: shurguywutt
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Try a stout conventional Xw30 like Formula Shell at Home Depot on sale for $9.88 till 4/15. Five qt. jug also. Replace pcv valve with an oem unit. Usually the spring breaks around the 60k mark.

Does this thing have vcm? If so disable it with a vcm muzzler. div>

Yeah, pcv is replaced, not with oem unit however. It does have VCM but I disabled it a long while back. Did not change oil consumption however. Also, most of my mileage is highway which seems to speed up the oil consumption rate.

I had a 99 Accord with the F23 engine that burned a fair amount of oil driving a lot of hwy miles. Replacing the pcv valve with an oem one did the trick. Worth the $13 or so that they cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back