Which 1qt oil has the best cleaning capability? Redline, Amsoil or HPL?

I need 1qt of oil to eventually replace the 1qt that my Volvo will consume and I would like it to have high % of esters in order to clean the pisstons.

Currently the car is running Castrol Edge high mileage 5-30

Edit: only problem with HPL is that I can't procure just a single qt.

Last edited:
I'd send a message to HPL and see if you can buy a quart. They sell a quart of EC(engine cleaner)so shouldn't be much different. Plus when you buy 6 quarts they will replace one quart with EC if you want.

1qt wont do anything to be honest. Just run a full change with it or a similar high cleaning additive oil.

Here is a VOA of Castrol edge euro 5w-30 posted by Himemsys. 2800 ppm of calcium will do some work.

You can also try m1 0w-40 as it has some esters which clean well given the price and availability. Others on here can attest to its cleaning ability.

Do a piston soak then run HPL, Amsoil SS or Rislone Engine Treatment in whatever your choosing for a full oci but you will need to continue whatever you choose over multiple oci to see meaningful results.

I don't think any quart of oil cleans the engine. The detergent properties are experienced more in the long term. If you are down a quart, add a quart. If you need your engine cleaned, use a cleaner, I suppose. Even if these oils varied a little in their cleaning capacity, it could not possibly amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world in the question you pose.

Seriously?

You’ve started several threads on this.

You told us you were going to use HPL in this thread:

I need 1qt of oil to eventually replace the 1qt that my Volvo will consume and I would like it to have high % of esters in order to clean the pisstons.

One quart added to the remaining oil isn't going to do much for you. You are expecting miracles.

Seriously?

You’ve started several threads on this.

You told us you were going to use HPL in this thread:

Can't get a single quart. I am not payomg $90 for a whole 6. I will attempt to contact the owner to see if I can get a single qt pricing. If not then I will get the others. I have no funds to spend $90 on oil.

I was originally planning on using EC30 but after reading that it's cleaning ability is less than a qt of the regular oil by HPL then I decided against it. Why use something that's weaker than a regular oil cleaning ability? The car has had synthetic Castrol Edge since it was built thus I am not expecting a sludge fest that would require a gentle ECL treatment.

Starting thread after thread isn’t going to get it fixed, either.

If you haven’t called HPL, how do you know what you can, or can’t, get? They are a small company. The website isn’t their primary sales vector.

So, call them. But honestly, one quart of anything isn’t likely to make much difference. You are talking about cleaning rings, and that is a tall, tall order.

If you’re serious about engine cleaning, get a six pack of HPL. You’ll have to add it all in the next six months, anyway, given the burn rate.

Just remember going in, that this engine was known to be an oil burner, it had ring problems, so don’t be disappointed if even a good cleaning oil makes no difference.

Is the consumption OR other problem you are trying to fix?

No oil or additive will cure a worn out engine.

What tells you the engine needs some magic cleaning?

Is the consumption OR other problem you are trying to fix?

No oil or additive will cure a worn out engine.

What tells you the engine needs some magic cleaning?

He has a Volvo that uses 1QT/1,000 miles.

In addition to this thread, he started the above threads to see if he can fix the Volvo by using a cleaner, or a different oil.

Same question - different threads.

Wow!
One quart HPL installed with an existing 4-5-6 quarts of used oil?
You need to borrow $100 and run an entire OCI of HPL.

.... or better yet (if your wallet is relatively empty), do a Google Search on BG MOA / EPR Motor Oil Supplements.
They work well (large following) and reasonably priced.

Comes in quarts as well..
Screenshot_20230812-090459~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HPL. Amsoil will clean but not as aggressively. Same for Red Line who uses more ester than the other two but uses less polar esters.

Each brand has their forte...

HPL - Strong cleaning action, shear/thermal stability.
Amsoil - Long change intervals, durability.
Red Line - High heat tolerance, shear stability.

They all 3 have strong ties in the racing world, applying some of what they've learned in that realm to better their street oils. This isn't to say that HPL can't go long change intervals or that Amsoil won't clean. It's just not the primary focus with their formulas. With HPL, the main focus is on ensuring engine durability through aggressive cleaning action, improving ring seal, and reducing oil consumption, but formulating an oil to do that means using high quality materials that happen to also promote a long oil service life. Amsoil's focus with their ester content is likely improving oxidative stability and shear stability and having some cleaning action accompanying it as a bonus.

Last edited:
Back