Ford 6.2L oil consumption

I’ve noticed my oil consumption since I’ve been using Valvoline EP 5W-30 has increased some what
Not that it’s crazy out of line but it’s more than normal
As of now I’m down over 1/2 quart at 4500 miles and that’s more than normal for my engine
Just curious is all
Thanks guys

An HPL Engine Clean + Amsoil SS combo seems to have dramatically reduced oil burn on my CR-V

What is "normal" oil consumption for your engine, after 4500 miles? Half a quart doesn't seem bad for that duration.
Normal for my engine has been since I bought it new has been almost zero oil consumption
I’m now at 93K miles
So I’m just curious is all

I’ve noticed my oil consumption since I’ve been using Valvoline EP 5W-30 has increased some what
Not that it’s crazy out of line but it’s more than normal
As of now I’m down over 1/2 quart at 4500 miles and that’s more than normal for my engine
Just curious is all
Thanks guys
That amount of consumption is not bad at all. I wouldn't worry about it but I would check oil level on a regular basis in case it gets worse..

You could just switch brands. Did it ever consume any oil prior to this? Valvoline EP 5w30 is on the thicker side. They don't give Noack, but I suspect it would be pretty good at around 7-9% if I had to guess. VI is low, HT/HS is 3.2 for this oil. Then again, Noack doesn't correlate to oil consumption all that well which is why they're revising the test for GF-7.

Keep an eye on it and keep doing what you're doing. It could just as easily be that it didn't deposit quite as much fuel in the oil this time around. I wouldn't change anything until I was convinced of an issue.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound too bad & it may be a new change that continues on or averages out higher. I don't belive there is any other magical "Brand" that would change that but using a thicker oil MIGHT lower consumption. 10w-30 or 5w-40 Try it & take notes on it's consumption to see if that makes any difference. Did Ford replace those 6.2L with the 7.3 & 6.8L V8?

For an off shelf grade/brand, I'd try a 10w30. I'm actually considering it for this winter due to potentially lower VII.

The VI here is only 152. This oil likely has very little VI polymer with very good Noack.

1695649200412.jpg

Back