5.7 Chevy oil

Evening. I have a 5.7 Chevy suburban. It’s a 96. It has 93k miles on it and I’m getting ready to do an oil change. For the half year I’ve owned it I changed the oil last with Traveller brand 5w30 conventional and a purolator filter. My question is should I be running a synthetic? I like valvoline products but should I use that high mileage? Or a semi synthetic? Or should I use rotella 5w30 syn? I’ve always used conventional on everything I’ve owned and I’ll admit I’m afraid of synthetics. I do mostly town driving short trips but also do some towing and potential snowplowing. Let me know what you all think I should do. Should I just stick with the Traveller brand oil? It’s about the only place that has labeled conventional 5w30. Thanks for any input. I want the best oil in this.

It doesn’t matter if you use conventional, blend, or synthetic in that. I’ve owned MANY GMT400s with the 5.7 and always just run whatever 5W-30 I had floating around that day.

I have Mobil 1 5w40 in my 93' 5.7l C1500 now. Will probably be putting QSFS Euro 5w40 or Castrol 5w40 next. I have run QS All Mileage 10w40 for a while in it, Havoline HM blend 5w30 and 10w30, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40, Rotella T6 5w40 and Valvoline white bottle 10w30 as well. Motor isn't picky and will run on whatever you choose for a long time.

Don't be afraid of synthetics. Today, even oils that don't say synthetic on the label are nearly all have some Group III "synthetic" base stocks in them in order to meet today's more stringent certification requirement.

Conventional, semi-synthetic, synthetic, none of these are a mistake, but the cost of synthetics are close enough to cheaper oils, that there little point in going for the cheapest oils over synthetics. The main thing is to change the oil on a regular schedules. For a townie car, 5000 or less miles per change is a good idea.

Mobil 1 FS Euro 0W-40 would be a nice choice to run. Nice HTHS and good additive pack. Also on a pretty good sale at Walmart.com
Right now. About $21-22 per jug if bought in a 2 pack.

With that thing being 28 years old I’d think any sort of high mileage oil couldn’t hurt…might actually help with some of the seals on that engine.
Thank you! Believe it or not this motor is pretty much bone dry. I’m not sure if it was gone through gasket wise I know intakes were done so it might have all new seals! Lucky me lol! Thanks

With that thing being 28 years old I’d think any sort of high mileage oil couldn’t hurt…might actually help with some of the seals on that engine.
R
Don't be afraid of synthetics. Today, even oils that don't say synthetic on the label are nearly all have some Group III "synthetic" base stocks in them in order to meet today's more stringent certification requirement.

Conventional, semi-synthetic, synthetic, none of these are a mistake, but the cost of synthetics are close enough to cheaper oils, that there little point in going for the cheapest oils over synthetics. The main thing is to change the oil on a regular schedules. For a townie car, 5000 or less miles per change is a good idea.
thank you ripcord! I change at every 4k. Appreciate it!

I typically opt for Havoline when choosing a conventional oil, but it's becoming expensive and hard to find. My only local source is Napa and it's silly to pay $9.99 a quart for conventional Havoline when I can grab Motorcraft Synthetic Blend at Walmart for $5.62.

Note that Traveller conventional oil does contain some synthetic base oils.

Considering the Traveller conventional oil meets the GF-6A specification, I'd use that without worry and run it 6 months/5000 miles. $5.49 a quart is a nice everyday price for a GF-6A oil.

Last edited:
Back