No more T Mobile auto pay on CC

What is the monthly for their top tier service?
I don't have, nor need, top-tier service-for unlimited talk/text (T-Mobile MVNO) and 500 MB of high speed data (which reverts to 2G after the 1/2 GB is gone), it's $9/month, and the fees are only an additional 18 cents. Around $110/YEAR! By way of comparison, my Tracfone with it's fairly high balance, is $55 plus tax/year with NO additional minutes nor data. I don't know how Tello does it, but I'm not complaining-I was paying MORE for a Spectrum VOIP home landline!

It's my opinion that credit cards rule.

Couldn't agree more, nothing with me gets paid in cash and I don't even carry any on me. With credit cards I get the rewards you outlined, if I lose my card I simply call the bank and have another issued (never liable for any charges I didn't make) and if there is an issue with a merchant I can initiate a chargeback. Not to mention all the other perks that come with some credit cards like extended warranties and other benefits and protections.

Ok teach us. What are the issues with cash that out weigh the handling of Credit or debit cards.? At some point isn't a Venmo type of service going to have to charge a fee to someone? There is no free lunch. Someone has to pay for the service. It is not a charity.
Cash can be pilfered by an employee-much easier than a credit card transaction. Then of course you have the issue of "making change" that some at the retail level have issues with. Then you have the counting of the cash at closing, the filing out of the deposit slip, and then the (small) business owner having to make a trip to the bank with said cash. Yes, there are services that will make your deposits for you, but those costs money as well.

The "cash is king" saying is woefully outdated. As a matter of fact. there are many businesses here that paying with (physical) cash is not even an option. The requested payment is usually VENMO under these circumstances.

These carriers are running buck wild. I got a text that I lost my discount because I removed my paperless billing.

I didn't do anything. Yet, the portal says I am paper, and when I try to go paperless, it says you are already paperless.

So what did I do? I also canceled autopay and started paying with credit card. At least I can cause can you hear me know to pay the interchange due to their incompetence.

Oh, and my mom's line got surcharged $5 for being an "old" 5G plan. Wait, there's a new one that's $5 cheaper--when I tried to switch to that? I would lose my discount of $30/mo. Sheer and utter manipulation.

I know what they are doing. They want to get everyone onto more expensive unlimited, not entry level, 5G plans. Do you want to pay $5/mo for nothing, or $13/mo for something? Most are gonna go for the something. I used to not care because my employer gave me a $140/mo cell phone stipend. But now it's only $40.

Couldn't agree more, nothing with me gets paid in cash and I don't even carry any on me. With credit cards I get the rewards you outlined, if I lose my card I simply call the bank and have another issued (never liable for any charges I didn't make) and if there is an issue with a merchant I can initiate a chargeback. Not to mention all the other perks that come with some credit cards like extended warranties and other benefits and protections.
Agree, I think I remember we were on the same page with this stuff, once in a great while I forget my wallet, but I have my phone with me and my watch. LOL
I remember a couple times I even left my phone in the car into my surprise. My watch worked without the phone nearby.
For the past summer one of the cards I have and I forgot which one paid 5% cashback on everything I used Apple Pay for.

I pay contractors for most major jobs in cash...new HVAC for our beach house...$8500 cash=10% savings over credit card or check.
Removal and replacement of old cast iron drains under the house...
$3000=15% discount for cash payment to plumber/mechanical contractor.
It puts you into the good paying customer column and moves you to the top of the list when there's a problem.
T-Mobile became burdensome with nitpicking requirements...this being one. They'll be gone by Tuesday after 20+ years for me and 6+ for my family. I'll pay Google Fi for the same 5g coverage with unlimited( although potentially throttled after 30-35g data/line) at a fraction of what T-Mobile One TE was costing. Plus, I'll be getting a new Pixel 7a free after 2 years billing credits. Way better than what T-Mobile offered.
BTW, their recent controversy involving migrating many customers to more expensive plans was a management disaster. A study in poor marketing and communication.

Cash can be pilfered by an employee-much easier than a credit card transaction. Then of course you have the issue of "making change" that some at the retail level have issues with. Then you have the counting of the cash at closing, the filing out of the deposit slip, and then the (small) business owner having to make a trip to the bank with said cash. Yes, there are services that will make your deposits for you, but those costs money as well.

The "cash is king" saying is woefully outdated. As a matter of fact. there are many businesses here that paying with (physical) cash is not even an option. The requested payment is usually VENMO under these circumstances.
The fact that some employees can't make change is an indictment on our public education. Some regions have better public education than others. Even with the cash registers that tell them what the change due, makes it even more troubling.

I very likely would not support a store who would not take cash. I am not alone.

Who pays for the Venmo service? Maybe they are eating it for now but it will not last. It can not. For example, Amazon ran for years loosing money. They took the long game approach and knew they would have market share in due time and would be a cash machine. Maybe they think they can grab most of of Visa and MC business over time. Visa and MC et al will have to make adjustments if this trend continues. Most people do use some kind of Plastic payment when shopping for larger priced items, including groceries. They like the convenience, protections/services the typical VISA/MC offer them. Not to mention the bonus points some get.

I still see some gas stations and restaurants giving a discount for cash sales. They are not worried about employees steeling or handling the cash for some reason. They are encouraging cash sales. I think your explanation sounds good but is missing something. In my neck of the woods anyway.

I pay contractors for most major jobs in cash...new HVAC for our beach house...$8500 cash=10% savings over credit card or check.
It puts you into the good paying customer column and moves you to the top of the list when there's a problem.
T-Mobile became burdensome with nitpicking requirements...this being one. They'll be gone by Tuesday after 20+ years for me and 6+ for my family. I'll pay Google Fi for the same 5g coverage with unlimited( although potentially throttled after 30-35g data/line) at a fraction of what T-Mobile One TE was costing. Plus, I'll be getting a new Pixel 7a free after 2 years billing credits. Way better than what T-Mobile offered.
BTW, their recent controversy involving migrating many customers to more expensive plans was a management disaster. A study in poor marketing and communication.
You are not the first person to tell me it puts you in good standing and you go to the top of the list as a good paying customer when paying cash. Especially with small business people like mechanics, trades people and local services. You can even pay your US taxes in cash. It is in the tax code. Next to no body does it. If you want to do so, the IRS has to accomodate you. I walked out of a Chipolte because they would not take cash. I am not putting a 8 dollar taco on my credit card.

You are not the first person to tell me it puts you in good standing and you go to the top of the list as a good paying customer when paying cash. Especially with small business people like mechanics, trades people and local services. You can even pay your US taxes in cash. It is in the tax code. Next to no body does it. If you want to do so, the IRS has to accomodate you. I walked out of a Chipolte because they would not take cash. I am not putting a 8 dollar taco on my credit card.
You did yourself a favor walking out of Chipotle. They should have an Imodium A-D dispenser at the counter.

I have mixed feelings because there’s no way to tell if a cash discount is legit. They can pad an estimate to win no matter what.

Take my wedding reception for example. Proprietor said you pay cash no tax. I said that’s 8.25%, but you save 40% income tax so let’s split it 20% discount for cash.

He said no. So I said then I’ll use Amex. It was like $12,000, so was I foolish? I don’t think so at least I earned 3% cash rewards. Also this forced the establishment to declare income so I think he was foolish not to counter. If he said 15% I would have accepted.

With hvac, there is no tax in PA, so that’s why no monkey business with a cash price. My .02

I have mixed feelings because there’s no way to tell if a cash discount is legit. They can pad an estimate to win no matter what.

Take my wedding reception for example. Proprietor said you pay cash no tax. I said that’s 8.25%, but you save 40% income tax so let’s split it 20% discount for cash.

He said no. So I said then I’ll use Amex. It was like $12,000, so was I foolish? I don’t think so at least I earned 3% cash rewards. Also this forced the establishment to declare income so I think he was foolish not to counter. If he said 15% I would have accepted.

With hvac, there is no tax in PA, so that’s why no monkey business with a cash price. My .02
Well you never say cash payment up front. You get the price and then ask if there's any discount for paying cash. Your example assumes personal income tax...not a business. I would say he was likely foolish too. Although, banks are required to file a CTR for withdrawals of $10k or more....and two separate withdrawals of $6k will trigger a SAR.

Well you never say cash payment up front. You get the price and then ask if there's any discount for paying cash. Your example assumes personal income tax...not a business. I would say he was likely foolish too. Although, banks are required to file a CTR for withdrawals of $10k or more....and two separate withdrawals of $6k will trigger a SAR.
Oooh have a story on that. In Dec 2006 I put 30k down on my 335i, financed with tax etc about $16k.

I was watching “Without A Trace” a lot.

So I ask for qty 3 cashiers checks for $9,999.99 each. You guessed it.

I was standing there sweating for 35 min while they did the SAR.

And stupid me, car dealer reports the aggregate cash transaction anyway.

When I got the cashiers check for the Lexus in 2016 it was like $14,800 all in one. Took < 5 min

Good advice. Regardless of how much of a discount you get. If you are going to use the service again you will be remembered as a good customer. Running a small business is harder than ever. Any break you can give these folks is noticed.

I had hughesnet and even when i canceled my plan and sent the equipment back they still charged me but i got a refund then they freaking charged me again next month when i had no plan or anything. I got another refund and canceled my debit card and got another one. I understand wanting it on a CC instead of debit or chk acnt. It's just infuriating.

Back