No more T Mobile auto pay on CC

It’s so easy to create another checking account and fill it with money, a cave man could do it. I use discover. They give me a debit card that pays cash back. just direct deposit some money there and use it for autopay. Their linked savings acct is paying reasonably too..

It’s so easy to create another checking account and fill it with money, a cave man could do it. I use discover. They give me a debit card that pays cash back. just direct deposit some money there and use it for autopay. Their linked savings acct is paying reasonably too..
Agree,
What annoyed the heck out of me and still does is they changed the payment method on me after 1.5 years of a two year agreement that was giving me bill credits for accepting two new iPhones.

So even though there is no contract and I am free to leave them if I don’t like their new payment terms these payment terms were not in effect at the time of the agreement.
I’m sure they are legally correct in changing the payment terms but this was the company that always regarded themselves as “The uncarrier”

It’s also the company that recently had multiple major data breaches and now insists on your banking information. I won’t make a big deal out of the extra $16 a year I pay because I no longer get 2% cash back either.

Not a big deal I do have an unused 2nd checking account, just the principal. They used to grandfather things in and they could have until at least the original agreement of 2 years worth of bill credits were fulfilled by them. If I left them before that 2 years roughly 6 more months now in rough numbers I would lose $60+ dollars a month x 6 months in bill credits

So is your employer putting say 5% of your pay into this checking account / debit card that you use for auto pay and the rest into a main checking account ?

So is your employer putting say 5% of your pay into this checking account / debit card that you use for auto pay and the rest into a main checking account ?

I can set up my direct deposit any way I want. I don’t need my employer to do much of anything. But yes, I do put an allocation into that account.

Even if I didn’t direct deposit into my discover account, I could easily transfer funds from another bank account. Just a few clicks. It could even be automated.

That’s what I did. As soon as I set up the Discover checking for auto pay my $5 per line discount came back.

ATT moved from ten dollars off with autopay to five with a cc and it remains ten off with a debit card per line

I received a text from t mobile today saying I’ll lose my auto pay discount if I don’t switch to a debt or bank account. And they want this done by tomorrow. I’m not comfortable having my debt # out there and having 5 lines, I’ll be paying $25 more. Just curious if other phone options still use a CC for auto pay?
Try https://privacy.com to sort control your debit card number.

I got that message too so we went to a local free checking bank and deposited a $1000 so they could their payment and my granddaughters private christian school lunch bill uses it too. I didn't want them to have access to my real money.

I can set up my direct deposit any way I want. I don’t need my employer to do much of anything. But yes, I do put an allocation into that account.

Even if I didn’t direct deposit into my discover account, I could easily transfer funds from another bank account. Just a few clicks. It could even be automated.
Yes
It really is a thoughtless process. You can do a monthly auto- transfer from your main account at any bank to a free checking account at any bank for bills being paid with auto-draft.
In fact because of this thread and I think your posts too, it made me think more about it and put an unused account to work by doing automated monthly transfers from my main online bank to my unused free checking account at another bank.

This leaves me with zero exposure except for monthly payment amount and maintain the high interest rate in my main bank until the last minute because I can set up these transfers even from a high interest savings account, it doesn't have to be a checking account. Good thread

I wouldn’t stay on t-mo but my wife has us and my mom on a family plan. I own my iPhone XR I might go off on my own maybe vz prepaid or att.
Yeah, T-Mobile isnt the cheapest anymore, though maybe still cheaper than Verizon and ATT but they closed the gap.

For 55+ T-Mobile still a great deal for what you get, IF you use all the features. We pay $70 a month, two lines, actual payment and its everything unlimited including airplane data, international text AND Netflix Basic out of the $70 payment we make to T-Mobile and since we already had Netflix mid tier before TMobile That brings our 2 line cost to around $63 actual payment, we pay the difference from Basic to Mid Tier that we had. Pretty darn good price for a major carrier that includes so many extras even if we dont use them.

We could get Red Pocket (which I love) for $50 so the extra services are costing us an extra $12 a month which are good with, as they gave us at the time two brand new iPhone 13's which at the time would have been $1,600 for giving them back our used, unlocked iPhone XR and iPhone 11. So in reality our total cost for the two new phones is less than $400. after 2 years of bill credits paying for our outlay of the phones we can switch, IF we choose to RedPocket in March 2024. But call me crazy, I am kind of happy with T-Mobile as of this moment except for their obnoxious changing of the payment method. So I may switch once I get all my bill credits, time will tell what deals are out there.

The title of this thread is misleading. Nothing really changes except they now charge $5.00 more if you had a discount before and continue to auto pay with a credit card. Compared to Verizon arbitrarily jacking everyone's rates with a "fee" increase and reserving the right to do it again in the future, this is a non-scandal.

You must have it already set up on a debt card or autodraft
If you dont you already are having a surcharge applied to your monthly bill for this month I think it takes affect (or last month)
I thought it was being drafted via AMEX but maybe it has been through our checking account. I'll have to ask the boss lady. The Bill amount has remained essentially unchanged for over a year.

I wouldn’t stay on t-mo but my wife has us and my mom on a family plan. I own my iPhone XR I might go off on my own maybe vz prepaid or att.
Why?

We only have an Apple Watch and a hotspot on T-Mobile and the hotspot seems to do better in its location than att on my phone. I’m not so sure about the watch.

I ask because I’m interested in switching to T-Mobile for everything especially since they give the in flight wifi which is a good deal.

I received a text from t mobile today saying I’ll lose my auto pay discount if I don’t switch to a debt or bank account. And they want this done by tomorrow. I’m not comfortable having my debt # out there and having 5 lines, I’ll be paying $25 more. Just curious if other phone options still use a CC for auto pay?
T-Mobile has been hacked so many times in the last couple of years that I would not at all let them have my bank account information D

Back