Mobil 1 0w-40 (FS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
No GTL oil will get BMW LL01. The cheapest russian sludge oil have Bmw long life LL01 here where i live. The problem is that oil with GTL with no group3 cleans engine too "much" and cant go for the bmw 30k KM oci. It will block up the oil filter to fast.

That reminds me of the reason certain boutique oil manufacturers used to give as to why they neglected to obtain proper certifications - that the oil was "too good" and wouldn't meet the spec as a result.

Do you have access to the details of Longlife-01 certification to substantiate your claim?

No i do not have and read my comment. The spec has noting to do with effect of clening the engine. It does not meet the long life 30k if its clog the filter long before a group 3 does. But there is a spider diagram that show Bmw LL01 vs MB 229.5 and the MB have better wear protection. Same goes with the BMW M series oil recommedation 10w-60(you can google it). Name one oil company that have GTL based 0w-40 that have bmw LL01. Figure it out dude!

No i do not have and read my comment. The spec has noting to do with effect of clening the engine. It does not meet the long life 30k if its clog the filter long before a group 3 does. But there is a spider diagram that show Bmw LL01 vs MB 229.5 and the MB have better wear protection. Same goes with the BMW M series oil recommedation 10w-60(you can google it). Name one oil company that have GTL based 0w-40 that have bmw LL01. Figure it out dude!

"Dude"? Lmao. What does that translate from Finnish?

You're full of it, that's all I can figure out. Make stuff up and when questioned about it, make up more.

You're full of it, that's all I can figure out. Make stuff up and when questioned about it, make up more.

Well... i dont make anyting up and you dont need to belive me if you dont. Didint know you where that sensetive. BTW Mobil 1 fs 0w-40 sold in eu is made in Finland and i know a lot about BMW engines. I live in eu and beemers are pretty common here. But stick with your bmw lonlife oil in your Fiesta and change it before 10k miles!

Well... i dont make anyting up and you dont need to belive me if you dont. Didint know you where that sensetive. BTW Mobil 1 fs 0w-40 sold in eu is made in Finland and i know a lot about BMW engines. I live in eu and beemers are pretty common here. But stick with your bmw lonlife oil in your Fiesta and change it before 10k miles!

You do realize that the BMW 5w-30 and 0w-40 made by SOPUS is GTL-based, as are the SOPUS products that carry LL-01 are also, right?

GTL is also Group III, FYI.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

You do realize that the BMW 5w-30 and 0w-40 made by SOPUS is GTL-based, as are the SOPUS products that carry LL-01 are also, right?

GTL is also Group III, FYI.

GTL is Group 3 plus. You do realize Pure GTL oil of viscosity 0w-30 or 0w-40 dont have LL01. Yes the 5w-30 or 5w-40 gtl have LL01. I did talk about 0w-xx gtl oils. 5w-xx have "the old group 3" and GTL. And Shell Helix Ultra 0w-xx have not bmw longlife and its the same as SOPUS.

GTL is Group 3 plus. You do realize Pure GTL oil of viscosity 0w-30 or 0w-40 dont have LL01. Yes the 5w-30 or 5w-40 gtl have LL01. I did talk about 0w-xx gtl oils. 5w-xx have "the old group 3" and GTL. And Shell Helix Ultra 0w-xx have not bmw longlife and its the same as SOPUS.

There is no official designation of "Group III Plus". It's Group 3 because it isn't Group IV or Group V.

BMW's 0w-40, made by Shell, using GTL, is LL-01:

643077_x800.jpg

Quote:
Engine oil BMW M TwinPower Turbo Longlife-01 SAE 0W-40 is designed specifically for the BMW M engines of the new generation. Through the use of innovative technology GTL base oil protects the engine at a level exceeding industry standards. This engine oil maintains optimum purity of BMW M engines of the new generation and makes full use of their potential.

Their 0w-30 meets LL-01 FE, and is also GTL.

No GTL oil will get BMW LL01. The cheapest russian sludge oil have Bmw long life LL01 here where i live. The problem is that oil with GTL with no group3 cleans engine too "much" and cant go for the bmw 30k KM oci. It will block up the oil filter to fast.

The problem in EU is that many is too lazy to change the oil in time.
BTW US makes the best engine oils in the world!

This is quite a unique point of view, I have to say.

There is no official designation of "Group III Plus". It's Group 3 because it isn't Group IV or Group V.

643077_x800.jpg

Quote:
Engine oil BMW M TwinPower Turbo Longlife-01 SAE 0W-40 is designed specifically for the BMW M engines of the new generation. Through the use of innovative technology GTL base oil protects the engine at a level exceeding industry standards. This engine oil maintains optimum purity of BMW M engines of the new generation and makes full use of their potential.

LL01 FE is low viscosity oil. Not the same as LL01. And Bmw M twinPower its not a full GTL oil and we are talking about 0w-40 Pure GTL oils(50% or more) and why they not have not the LL01 as Mobil 1 0w-40 FS, Shell Helix Ultra Pennzoil 0w-40 and their cleaning power of the engine.

The problem is that oil with GTL with no group3 cleans engine too "much" and cant go for the bmw 30k KM oci. It will block up the oil filter to fast.

I thought it was the additives in the oil that were responsible for cleaning and not necessarily the base oil itself.

Also, when you look at engine mfg specs, including BMW LL-01, you see minimum cleanliness requirements. I have never seem maximum cleanliness requirements.

Quote:
It will block up the oil filter to fast.

What if you have a clean engine to begin with? What will block the oil filter then?

Quote:

The 0W40 is not made by Shell, it was leftover from the Castrol days. That is why BMW no longer offers 0W40, it has been discontinued.

Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 provides:

Unsurpassed sludge protection – no other motor oil can keep your engine closer to factory clean is their claim. Well try to drive 30k km oci and it will clog the filter faster than a 0w-40 non gtl oil do. Pretty common sense, Bmw LL01 is for long life, and no overkill protection spec. Mobil super 5w-40 have this spec but not MOBIL 1 and all know here that Mobil1 is much better than mobil super.

LL-01 is far more than just a long-life spec. There are wear requirements as well as turbo coking requirements.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Quote:

The 0W40 is not made by Shell, it was leftover from the Castrol days. That is why BMW no longer offers 0W40, it has been discontinued.

The MSDS says it is made by Shell:

https://www.scfuels.com/sds/BMW/bmw-twinpower-turbo-0w-40.pdf

LL01 FE is low viscosity oil. Not the same as LL01.

I am aware of the difference. I thought it was worth mentioning.

And Bmw M twinPower its not a full GTL oil and we are talking about 0w-40 Pure GTL oils(50% or more) and why they not have not the LL01 as Mobil 1 0w-40 FS, Shell Helix Ultra Pennzoil 0w-40 and their cleaning power of the engine.

This sounds like wild speculation. Why do you think GTL, as a base oil, has magic cleaning power that doesn't exist in PAO or, in particular, POE bases? Base oils, as QP mentioned, aren't what does the cleaning, it is the additive package.

Quote:

The MSDS says it is made by Shell:

https://www.scfuels.com/sds/BMW/bmw-twinpower-turbo-0w-40.pdf

Interesting, thanks for the clarification. Wonder why BMW discontinued it?

Interesting, thanks for the clarification. Wonder why BMW discontinued it?

No problem. I honestly have no idea
21.gif
it doesn't seem to be an overly popular grade in LL-01 anymore, whereas it used to be quite common. It would seem only "legacy" formulations like Castrol 0w-40 still carry it. I'm wondering if LL-01 contains some protocol that is at odds with one of the other approvals that has perhaps been updated?

I'm not buying the "GTL is too good at cleaning" argument as it doesn't make sense and Shell's Ultra Euro 5w-40 was majority GTL and still had LL-01.

Would be nice if Mobil or Shell would answer the question
smirk.gif

Im not up to date on this,

Is the FS M1 the gold label 0W40?

What I have in my stock is the grey label "European Car Formula" 0W40.... is this the better version? Its getting replaced?
I need it for my GLK350 and am thinking of using it for my '18 F150 3.5EB

"European Car Formula" 0W40 on sale at my local Walmart... should I hoard the shelves?

thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thugzy
Im not up to date on this,

Is the FS M1 the gold label 0W40?

It is still grey label, but now with tiny "FS" letters on the front. It also no longer mentions BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back