Mobil 1 - What does the FS on the jug stand for?

From the source at Mobil...

Thank you for your patience.

The FS on the Mobil1 FS 0W-40 stands for " Full Synthetic ". I received confirmation this morning. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you might have.

If I can help with any other motor oil questions, please respond to this email or call me at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL (800-275-6624).

Thank you for choosing Mobil,

Ashley Bhatti
Mobil Help Desk Team
It does not … that guy is in a call center wearing purple Converse sneakers - Infineium and EMRE uses it for Full SAPS …

Last edited:
It does not … that guy is in a call center wearing purple Converse sneakers - Infineium and EMRE uses it for Full SAPS …

And that is why I asked the Help Desk to get an answer from an engineer who deals with 0W-40 to get back to her. A couple of emails went back and forth.

If it stands for something else, please provide manufacturer documentation.

And that is why I asked the Help Desk to get an answer from an engineer who deals with 0W-40 to get back to her. A couple of emails went back and forth.

If it stands for something else, please provide manufacturer documentation.
Can you explain why it’s critical to you? It’s quite irrelevant actually at least in terms of what the oil does and in performance.

Can you explain why it’s critical to you?

Curiosity, because so-called experts like Lake says on thing and others on this forum say something else. Its not a use or do not use question.

Critical, it isn't as it is the oil spec my car calls for.

Can you explain why it’s critical to you? It’s quite irrelevant actually at least in terms of what the oil does and in performance.
That’s a good question but I find deductive reasoning can be applied … if you read that they don’t recommend FS for (certain) emissions systems - that would steer you to the mid SAPS product line they call ESP … (emissions system protection) …

Some FS discussion here

Last edited:
From the source at Mobil...

Thank you for your patience.

The FS on the Mobil1 FS 0W-40 stands for " Full Synthetic ". I received confirmation this morning. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you might have.

If I can help with any other motor oil questions, please respond to this email or call me at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL (800-275-6624).

Thank you for choosing Mobil,

Ashley Bhatti
Mobil Help Desk Team
Did you tell her that the guys over on BITOG say she's a big fat liar and it's really full SAPS?

Did you tell her that the guys over on BITOG say she's a big fat liar and it's really full SAPS?

Where did you read that? What site?

Look I have been around the internet for a long time and there is one thing that was obvious to me, the internet is ths greatest source of unconfirmed information. And for that reason, I like to list sources. I also came from working in a lab for over 20 years.

Look I have been around the internet for a long time and there is one thing that was obvious to me, the internet is ths greatest source of unconfirmed information. And for that reason, I like to list sources. I also came from working in a lab for over 20 years.
Yes much like Lake.

Look I have been around the internet for a long time and there is one thing that was obvious to me, the internet is ths greatest source of unconfirmed information.
LOL, sorry, but that reminds me of this old meme:
1702336483901.jpg

Yes much like Lake.

Lake is a bit too hyper for me if I happen to bump into his channel by accident. And the oil analysis he pushes, I've never needed one in any of my high mileage cars.

Lake I assume got the FS meaning from Mobil. Help Desks usually held by non-techical types I do not put any faith in and that is why I get them to ask their engineering department.

Where did you read that? What site?

I was being sarcastic...

LOL, sorry, but that reminds me of this old meme:
View attachment 192593
O/K … how do you reach this guy …
I‘d like to ask out of the dozen or so M1 offerings - which others have this mysterious FS ? Are they ACEA offerings only ?
Or they already have “Advanced Full Synthetic” on the label …
I must reach this guy - will pay finders fee in CDN crypto 😵‍💫

The only thing that makes sense to me is FS = Full SAPS. ESP is not, and all other Mobil 1 oils are not (mid SAP).
The only thing that makes sense is the repeated information provided by Mobil that it is "full synthetic".

It's Full Saps. I was able to get confirmation via Drew at Mobil. If you call their number, ask for Drew. The industrial guy, who sounded like he was from India, had no clue. Drew said that many think it means full synthetic but he said "that is not the case."

Also, by looking at their line all of the product descriptions say full synthetic because they are all full synthetic. Drew said the FS line is Full SAPS due to higher levels of ZDP/Detergents. And, all of the other oils are mid SAP other than Racing oils which are not for street use.

Last edited:
It's Full Saps. I was able to get confirmation via Drew at Mobil. If you call their number, ask for Drew. The industrial guy, who sounded like he was from India, had no clue. Drew said that many think it means full synthetic but he said "that is not the case."

Also, by looking at their line all of the product descriptions say full synthetic because they are all full synthetic. Drew said the FS line is Full SAPS due to higher levels of ZDP/Detergents. And, all of the other oils are mid SAP other than Racing oils which are not for street use.
So back to my comment....the one lady was a big fat liar then.

Back