Mobil 1 0W-40 Supercar vs Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP

ESP has 900/990
FS has 930 Phos/1000 Zinc

So ESP would be a "Mid" saps. Not a whole lot different but that's what they call it ESP LOL

That's ~3.3% and ~1.0% respectively. Is that really significant (genuine question)?

I was looking at the Lubrizol comparison tool, and while they are different specs, we can see what they require:
1703477875513.png

ESP 5W-30 and ESP X3 0W-40 both meet MB 229.52, so I put it in the middle. ESP 5W-30 meets the specs up to MB 229.52, and ESP X3 0W-40 from MB 229.52 onward in the table. C40 is stricter in SA than C30, but ESP 5W-30 already meets the stricter MB229.52 in the SA% aspect. So maybe it's something else?

That's ~3.3% and ~1.0% respectively. Is that really significant (genuine question)?

I was looking at the Lubrizol comparison tool, and while they are different specs, we can see what they require:

ESP 5W-30 and ESP X3 0W-40 both meet MB 229.52, so I put it in the middle. ESP 5W-30 meets the specs up to MB 229.52, and ESP X3 0W-40 from MB 229.52 onward in the table. C40 is stricter in SA than C30, but ESP 5W-30 already meets the stricter MB229.52 in the SA% aspect. So maybe it's something else?
Great question & I'd not have a good answer for that. It's amazing how little a formula can be but how majorly different advertising can make it sound like it's a totally different product. Sort of exactly what we see here. One is positioned for emissions while the other is not but yet there is very little difference between them.
Does anyone know what calcium # is in Mobil1 Super Car 0W-40?
Don't know how accurate but I just dug this one up but it's the FS
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/mobil1-0w-40-o-7-118mi-o-2010-civic-si-126k.369300/

So, I’ll rope start y’all even more on my birthday. Y’all think I could use 0W-40 Supercar in our AMG GLE 63S instead of 0W-40 European Formula since it meets MB 229.51?!

Last edited:
I actually typed the wrong spec two posts above (now edited). It calls for 229.5*, 229.51.

Does anyone have any insight into why the ESP 0W-40 X3 is "only" API SN+, but not API SP? Especially since the ESP 5W-30 is API SP.
SP adressess LSPI and timing chain wear by reducing calcium-based detergents to magnesium-based detergents ratio along with eliminating sodium-based detergents from the package. Reducing detergency of the oil is also known to reduce the competition over the metal surface in favor of making ZDDP more effective, thus, reducing wear in several key engine components using different approach. Generally SP oils are more prone to shorter life than SN+ oils but I'm not in position to empirically conclude by how much. However, since both additive packages have lowered ZDDP limits, SP is leaning to higher wear control due to the reason above.

SP adressess LSPI and timing chain wear by reducing calcium-based detergents to magnesium-based detergents ratio along with eliminating sodium-based detergents from the package. Reducing detergency of the oil is also known to reduce the competition over the metal surface in favor of making ZDDP more effective, thus, reducing wear in several key engine components using different approach. Generally SP oils are more prone to shorter life than SN+ oils but I'm not in position to empirically conclude by how much. However, since both additive packages have lowered ZDDP limits, SP is leaning to higher wear control due to the reason above.
I thought SN+ was for LSPI, and SP was for timing chain (I might be mistaken though). That being said, according to the following two VOA posts for ESP 5W-30 and ESP 0W-40, they both seem to have similar levels of Ca and Mg. I don't know if the P + Zn levels are within measurement tolerance ranges though, because they do seem a bit higher for ESP 0W-40.

* https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/mobil-1-esp-5w30-voa.361030/
* https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/m1-0w40-esp-x3-dexos-2-voa.350828/

I thought SN+ was for LSPI, and SP was for timing chain (I might be mistaken though). That being said, according to the following two VOA posts for ESP 5W-30 and ESP 0W-40, they both seem to have similar levels of Ca and Mg. I don't know if the P + Zn levels are within measurement tolerance ranges though, because they do seem a bit higher for ESP 0W-40.

* https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/mobil-1-esp-5w30-voa.361030/
* https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/m1-0w40-esp-x3-dexos-2-voa.350828/
The 5W-30 linked is the old SN+ formula.

It seems that Amazon will be the most efficient way to procure M1 0W-40 Super Car. I've not found it at two different auto parts stores or Wal Mart.

That's why it's so important to feed your gasoline engine SP motor oils having higher quality base oils. Some of the oil additive counts may look anemic with Mobil-1 EP oils and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. But don't be discouraged by it. Higher levels of Natural Gas induction base oils are at play here. We are well protected, despite the lowered oil additive numbers displayed.

Want the best of both worlds? Purchase boutique oils from the likes of HPL, Amsoil and a few others. Just be prepared to pay more for them.

Last edited:
Yes, true - it can be ordered from Wal-Mart. I should've been more clear that I've not found it physically in stock in any (3) Wal-Mart stores that I've visited.

Back