Looking for a reliable, fuel efficient car

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 years ago I was looking with the same priorities, plus wanting adequate cargo space and flexibility to carry bikes regularly (and other awkward freight occasionally, for example the 7'3" grandfather clock I transported this year). That combination effectively limited my search to hatchbacks.

After giving up on a new manual Fit (short gearing, overpriced, and scarce at the time), Versa Note (short gearing, lousy seats, poor cargo flexibility), or Accent (skimpy space, poor visibility, GDI), I ended up with a used (41k) 3rd-generation Prius. It's the clear winner on space and fuel-efficiency, and has been very reliable so far. However, they've been known to develop expensive problems with advancing age.

Originally Posted by atikovi
2000-06 Honda Insight. 60 mpg easy, 75 with a little effort. Many go well over 300,000 miles. $5,000 gets you a nice one.

They're good cars IF you know what you're getting. They're tiny, loud and uncomfortable. Of course, that also means they're very light weight, but there are always trade offs.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
2000-06 Honda Insight. 60 mpg easy, 75 with a little effort. Many go well over 300,000 miles. $5,000 gets you a nice one.

They're tiny, loud and uncomfortable. .

Sounds like every supercar I've ridden in.

Miata is like that as well.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

My z06 was pretty comfy, fwiw.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

The original Insight was actually a pretty impressive car from an engineering standpoint. IIRC it's still the most aerodynamic car ever mass produced, and Honda went to great pains to make it as light as a modern car could possibly be. With the manual it weighs 1847 lbs, which is about the same as an old base model CRX, while also being considerably safer.

The body is entirely bespoke and made of aluminum, which makes it incredibly light but also makes it an absolute nightmare if you ever wreck it as body parts are very hard to find and might be impossible to find new. The engine was also a one off, and was used in no other Honda models. It shares an engine family with some JDM Hondas, but it's not identical. It's actually kind of astonishing the amount of work and money that went into building the ultimate economy car. Ultimately, they probably tried too hard as the tiny, uncomfortable Insight wasn't a big sales success whereas the larger and more comfortable Prius was a home run.

That said, all that means that keeping them going can be a real hassle. Parts for the Prius are everywhere, the first gen Insight, not so much.

Fun fact: The Insight being so light and aerodynamic means that it can be made very fast. It was banned by name from Formula 1000 rally in the UK because it was so utterly dominant nothing else had a chance, and K series swapped Insights exist, and are VERY fast.

Saturn SW2, manual transmission...

Swap 5th gear .730 for a SW1's .605 gear.
Fill tranny with TES-295 fluid..

Drops RPM's by 1000...
40+ mpg..

$2000-$2500 for low miles Saturn

Can also be done with SL2 and SC2, manuals...

Saturn sc1. Manual trans, glasspack muffler. Will get 40+ hwy without running a/c.

Early sawtooth wheels are lightest about 16-17lbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MoPowa
The vehicle that's currently filling this role is a Subaru legacy. I'm very seriously considering trading this for a new vehicle because of the above points (Max 32 mpg, problems sourcing parts for repairs, etc.) I haven't run into an issue yet where I felt the awd was necessary ( if that helps with the recommendations). I will definitely look into the Prius and cx5, those weren't on my radar. Thanks!

What year Legacy do you have? I have the two in my signature, and though they max out at 35 mpg highway, the newer one only cost me $2100 (pretty, rust-free CA car with the nice snowflake alloy wheels - in great shape and pretty much sorted when I got it too) - which buys a lot of gas on a $10K used car budget. Not sure about your problem sourcing parts, I'm not a mechanic, and only in the past several years started working on my own cars and find that they are easy to work on and not hard to get parts for.

My 2010 Prius fit most of your criteria, though I'd be hesitant to get another Gen 3 Prius (or Prius v wagon, which has the same powertrain) due to propensity for blown head gaskets and oil consumption at higher mileage. My 2003 Legacy is just the better car than the Prius overall by a good margin and way more fun to drive than the Prius. Actually the 1996 is funner than the Prius too. Being able to have full AC/heat while camping in the car at night, while the engine cycles on only as necessary was the high point of the Prius though. I think I spent a total of two months sleeping in the Prius (with a big dog) over three years of road trips, including a comfortable night below -40 degrees.

Actually, if you do want a Prius, get one that needs a new engine or head gasket. That way, it's deeply discounted when you get it, and with the new engine you're good to go for another 150K miles or so (though save $2K for the new traction battery that will be needed after 10-15 years of service). Same for Subarus. My 2003 Legacy came with the headgasket replaced just 10K miles before I bought it this past summer, as well as a new clutch, CV axles, steering rack. At the rate I drive, I probably don't have any more large expenses on it for another 10-20 years.

Last edited:
A 5-Speed Focus. The horrible DCT tanked the focus's resale, so even the manual ones feel the burn with resale. Cheap, easy to work on, and generally very reliable in non-DCT transmission form.

my 2014 yaris is a french made, ex hertz rental with 42k miles at $9800 in 2016. base model with straight up non turbo 1.5l engine, conventional at, ac and crank windows, to which i added an after market cruise control kit. uber reliable, simple, tossable and solid, i take it not too far off paved roads on sw desert dirt roads. its boxy shape gives it great visibility and lots of interior room. the yaris is southeast asia's official taxi, nary a honda or nissan to be seen in any livery, where it gets the old timex watch treatment.

The OP brought up parts availability on the road which is smart thinking. Years ago, my older sister had an 01' VW Jetta and broke down in BFE, Missouri.
The ignition coil wasn't available locally and it took a few days to get back on the road.

[Linked Image]

I was in the same boat I bought a used 2012 Honda Insight putting about 500 miles a week. It had just rolled 101k when I bought it, so far it's a great car cost under $20 to fill up right now.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with my 2001 Toyota Echo 5-speed. Been commuting 125 miles a day and it is averaging in the low 40s for MPG on winter tires.

Originally Posted by HeritageHighRoof
I've had good luck with my 2001 Toyota Echo 5-speed. Been commuting 125 miles a day and it is averaging in the low 40s for MPG on winter tires.

I drove a 2002 (I think) Echo with a 3-speed auto for 200K miles. Great car...good call on the 5-speed manual - at 75mph it sounded like a dentist's drill with the 3-speed.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

I drove a 2002 (I think) Echo with a 3-speed auto for 200K miles. Great car...good call on the 5-speed manual - at 75mph it sounded like a dentist's drill with the 3-speed.

Toyota Echo for sure! [censored] good, reliable car--and easy to work on. Great MPG, more so with a stick shift. The 1NZ-FE engine is/was arguably one of the best engines Toyota ever made. These cars WILL do 300-400-500K miles.

Last edited:
Lot of Toyota recommendations on this board, rather surprising.

I agree with Cujet, I'd check on actual costs, based on your annual miles driven, to determine what fuel cost you will have. It's nice to drive that cost down, but not if you're going to blow it on purchase cost or otherwise not wind up ahead in the game. I keep thinking about upgrading my 30 mpg car with one of these 40-50 mpg cars, but I can't find any financial case for doing so.

I'm still partial to my '99 Camry. It has its flaws (timing belt!) but so far it's been relatively easy to work on, parts all over the place, and being bigger than a compact, not that bad on the highway. I feel like it's a good size for one or two people; 4 though and it feels underpowered (because it is, only made worse with extra weight).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back