Looking for a reliable, fuel efficient car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by panthermike
Hard to beat a Corolla in regards to simplicity and reliability. I like the pre CVT models.

Yes wife would like a new car I think Corolla has stopped building a manual transmission in the Corolla. I just replaced my clutch at 137595. It will run for a long time now. Gets 33.XXX MPG in city driving and on long freeway drives it will consistently deliver 40 MPG.

Corolla.

Our 2006 survived three teenagers and made it to 200,000 before it was given to someone who needed a car. She's still driving it. Zero repairs since new.

Regular Prius, 2nd gen.

They made a bazillion of them due to high gas prices in 2005-07. Plenty of parts support. Plenty of forum support. Instructables on youtube. Battery pack can be rebuilt at home with a $10 socket set from Harbor freight, if necessary. Spare parts galore are on ebay. The brakes and struts are shared with the corolla, celica, and yaris, somewhat willy-nilly. Advanced diagnostics come from a questionably licensed ebay copy of techstream, with cable, for $15.

If cabbies still drive these, they must still be good cars.

Originally Posted by bcossa2001
So is my 2016 1.5 Ecoboost Fusion.
Regularly get 35 mpg on highway and really like the vehicle but I am partial to sedans...

[Linked Image]

This is a pic from a round trip tp Maine from Illinois near St. Louis 18 months ago in my 2017 Fusion.

Last edited:
Honda Fit, if you can get past the mini mini van sort of looks.

Honda reliability, awesome mileage, a TON of cargo space with hatchback flexibility, and fun to drive, in a slow go kart kind of way ...

3000 miles a month in a penalty box? That's going to take some of the fun out of your travels. There aren't many cars that get 35 mpg mixed driving so that limits you to a handful. Under $10k limits it further but it looks like you can buy 2015-2016 Fusions with reasonable miles for around $10k. It might be tough to meet all of your criteria.

Pontiac Vibe. There are a few AWD models around. Basically a rebadged Corolla tall hatch. Should be under 5K for a late model one.

Last edited:
The fusions are good driving cars, I'm on my third one as a company car, two hybrids and one conventional. Hybrids get a little over 40mpg combined, the regular model was about 32.

They are quiet and smooth. We put a little over 100,000 miles on them before they get replaced. To that point they've been trouble free.

For 3,000 miles per month I'd lean more in this direction.

2018 Elantra SE $8900 (Craigslist)

Some hail damage but you live in TX so par for the course.

There's a thread from the other day where a guy operates a fleet of Hyundai Elantra Ubers at similar mileage as you plan to accrue.

I have a 2017 Fiesta SFE (1.0 Ecoboost) sedan with 12K miles on it. It seriously gets 45+ MPG doing 70 on the highway. I'm about to list it for sale. $10K-ish.

Given the budget, I'd say get a used Honda Fit with a manual transmission. It should meet all your requirements and can haul lots of camping/outdoor gear.

Originally Posted by NO2
Pontiac Vibe. There are a few AWD models around. Basically a rebadged Corolla tall hatch. Should be under 5K for a late model one.

Good idea.

If fun to drive isn't an issue, the Prius is going to be your best bet. It gets incredible MPG and is one of the (if not the) most reliable cars built. Toyota has sold a ton of them so parts are easily available and mechanics wont be unfamiliar with them. The power and handling, however, are never going to be anything better than just adequate. Anyone saying they're dangerous is just being hyperbolic, but they're not built to be sports cars by any means.

That said, they do ride quite well, they're pretty comfortable, and the newer models are pretty quiet even at speed.

If you want something that drives a little nicer, get a Mazda3. The 2.0 gets 40MPG on the highway and they handle remarkably well. They're not fast, but unless your commute involves a lap of the Nurburgring you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by MParr
If you could find a low mileage used VW Jetta TDI (diesel), that should meet your requirements.

Except for the reliability and ease of repair issues, which the TDI isn't to either one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back