4T80 reliability and 06+ Northstar?

I've been wanting to add another vehicle to the fleet for a while now. I want a large sedan, V8 powered and preferably RWD. I also want heated leather seats, a nice ride, ample people/cargo room and a good factory stereo system that a simple double-din CarPlay radio can work just fine in and sound good. Something that can get 15-18 in the city and over 25MPG on the Thruway would be amazing. I would be more inclined to GM.

Some of my thoughts have put me towards a Town Car and W220 Benz S-Class w/M113 5.0 V8. The Town Car is excellent but wow does it command a premium. I'd be inclined to think Livery companies are scooping up any and all they can find. The Benz drivetrain sounds pretty reliable, but the aftermarket radio support w/Fiber Optic Infotainment is limited. That and just potentially complicated Benz stuff, maybe that isn't a great area to go into for a hillbilly rural GM owner.

Then I got thinking... this isn't supposed to be a "performance/track" car. Why am I excluding FWD? Then I thought, what about a late-model DTS with a Northstar and the 4T80-E? From my reading, it seems as if the later years Northstars... essentially the DTS entire model year run, all of the head bolt issues have been revised and they're an excellent engine.

But what I'm really curious on is this transmission. I don't really see much discussion on the 4T80-E. Possibly thats cause they do not break?

Seems to me there's DTS for sale down south for reasonable prices with favorable miles.

Looks like the 4.6 Northstar takes the same filter as a Gen III LSx... is this a sign? 😄

I had good luck up to 100k, when I sold it, on my 1998 Eldorado ETC. I had several hard launches on that car & the transmission gave no indication of wear. I think they're mostly fine transmissions. Some later northstars models had RWD FYI but I'm not sure what transmission they had.

I have a DTS myself. I bought my car with 80K miles and now have 185K. Never had transmission problems.

However I did “cooler-line” fluid changes at 84K, a pan drop at 100K, and more cooler-line changes every 36K miles. Might be too much, I like the trans fluid smelling sweet and looking red

I have a DTS myself. I bought my car with 80K miles and now have 185K. Never had transmission problems.

However I did “cooler-line” fluid changes at 84K, a pan drop at 100K, and more cooler-line changes every 36K miles. Might be too much, I like the trans fluid smelling sweet and looking red
From what I’m looking at the pan seems easily accessible for all bolts. Looks like there is a fill spot for the trans on the driver side of the bay near the trans case and a dipstick? Or is the fill/dipstick all one?

How is the shift quality on a 4T80? Pretty confident feeling?

Yes, pan drop is easy, it comes straight down. Unfortunately the actual trans filter is internal and can’t be replaced unless you remove the transmission. But there are some screens you can replace after dropping the pan

The cap is the dipstick. But it’s a wide cap and the stick is short. Very easy to stick a funnel there

If you want to DIY transmission fluid changes, you can disconnect the top trans cooler line from the radiator and point it to a bucket. You can pump out 6-7QTS this way and then refill it from the top

Thanks, that is good information. Like I said I'm not expecting a sports car in terms of handling, or even drivetrain performance. But what I am looking for is the nice torque pull of a V8 and a smooth driving sedan. That of which I think would come from a DTS/Northstar.

Truth be told, I might be underwhelmed with a 2V 4.6 Modular in the Town Car. I am spoiled by my, while heavy and tank like, 6.0 in the Tahoe. It is not fast but torque-filled.

Thanks, that is good information. Like I said I'm not expecting a sports car in terms of handling, or even drivetrain performance. But what I am looking for is the nice torque pull of a V8 and a smooth driving sedan. That of which I think would come from a DTS/Northstar.

Truth be told, I might be underwhelmed with a 2V 4.6 Modular in the Town Car. I am spoiled by my, while heavy and tank like, 6.0 in the Tahoe. It is not fast but torque-filled.
And I'm sure you've done this research but my ETC had a 25 hp bump up to 300 hp. They increased compression to get the extra ponies. It had a little bit of torque steer where it would pull to the right on launch but nothing you can't handle. Try to find a low mileage example & one towards the later years. Also, If you plan to get into the throttle I'd recommend 91 octane but the later years don't require it but that's my opinion on it.

Last edited:
And I'm sure you've done this research but my ETC had a 25 hp bump up to 300 hp. They increased compression to get the extra ponies. It had a little bit of torque steer where it would pull to the right on launch but nothing you can't handle. Try to find a low mileage example & one towards the later years. Also, If you plan to get into the throttle I'd recommend 91 octane but the later years don't require it but that's my opinion on it.
That’s awesome. They sound like a fun drivetrain. I do know on later years they have a lower and higher HP version. Prob compression as well like you mentioned.

Time for me to start reading up on sales brochures and trying to find what trim/model is equipped with what and how they come optioned.

Not a huge thing but I’d really like a column shift.

The 4V Mercury Marauder is faster than the Townie, but yeah, the Panther cars hold a niche that's likely why the price is higher than expected.

The 4V Mercury Marauder is faster than the Townie, but yeah, the Panther cars hold a niche that's likely why the price is higher than expected.
A 4V would be awesome. Marauders are gorgeous.

I’d take a Town Car or well optioned Panther for sure if every nice/clean/not hammered one wasn’t gobs of cash.

4V Lincoln’s with the Intech also. Think that was the Continental?

Another - you need to get under the hood, under the frame of a Lexus LS. 4 piston calipers, big motor that will loaf through hundreds of highway miles, good packaging and RWD like cars are supposed to be. I never noticed them when they were new. Now aging into forgotten oblivion, these are really cool cars.

Some later northstars models had RWD FYI but I'm not sure what transmission they had.
5L50E & 6L50E depending on the year

But what I'm really curious on is this transmission. I don't really see much discussion on the 4T80-E. Possibly thats cause they do not break?
4T80E's are pretty reliable, But TCC problems do happen. Make sure the converter locks up HOT. TCC issues more often than not require transmission removal.

4T80E's are pretty reliable, But TCC problems do happen. Make sure the converter locks up HOT. TCC issues more often than not require transmission removal.
Thanks! I thought it was awesome when they rotated the engine & made some later North*'s RWD.

GMs nomenclature always confused me on that one. The T80 and the R50 seem to be equal. I'd understand if they called it a 4T50e.

The numbers actually mean anything? Or just arbitrary numeric strength designation?

The transmission is fine, but the engine is not :cautious:

If the 4L80 doesn't have a drain plug, you can get an aftermarket pan that has one.

But you're missing two good cars from your list: the Lexus LS430 and Infiniti M45.

If FWD is acceptable, there's the Buick LaCrosse Super with the LS4. It's probably better than a Northstar, and the Buick will ride nicer than than the equivalent Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP.

People have swapped the LS4 into Cadillacs like the one you're considering ;)

GMs nomenclature always confused me on that one. The T80 and the R50 seem to be equal. I'd understand if they called it a 4T50e.

The numbers actually mean anything? Or just arbitrary numeric strength designation?
4T80E deserves it's strength rating....It's way overbuilt for the applications it was used in, Even Hearse & Stretch Limousine duty.

Bet the 4T80 was the most expensive to manufacture unit Hydramatic ever produced.

4T80E deserves it's strength rating....It's way overbuilt for the applications it was used in, Even Hearse & Stretch Limousine duty.

Bet the 4T80 was the most expensive to manufacture unit Hydramatic ever produced.
TH425, I bet they had a lot or R&D into that monster.

When I was wrenching the only 4T80e I ever saw any issues with had a cracked case near the torque converter. Removed the power unit (dropped the engine/trans as a unit) thinking it was a leaking pump or input seal. Nope, case cracked. Swapped the low mileage internals to a junkyard case. Was a surprisingly easy job, just a lot of labor.

Back