Most reliable old man car: Grand Marquis or Buick Lucerne?

Or really any Buick prior to 2009 with the 3800 V6?

Assuming same year, same mileage and same overall condition would you choose a Grand Marquis (or Lincoln) or a Buick Lucerne or Lesabre with the 3800 series III V6? Which is most likely to give a few more years of reliable service before needing major work? The car would probably be driven 8-10K miles a year and receive good maintenance. I think I'm going to give up trying to find a decent hatchback gas saver and go full Senior. There seem to be some reasonably priced old man land boats on the market right now while any decent economy car is priced at least 2X what it should be.

Crown Vic or Lincoln Mark VIII.

My parents’ have had both (in the past) and they are awesome. Full senior.

Currently wrestling with 3800 problems on another car (Equinox my Mom had new since 2007); I’m now calling any GM 3800 car a “racoon.” As in: “never again.”

Also agree with what @Graham Piccinini said, Avalon or similar.

I succeeded in the last two years getting both my mid-70s parents into a Lexus ES and an RX (both high mileage and well used), and out of the GM and Ford stuff they were driving. My future work load is dramatically reduced.

Subtitute “GM 3800” for “Racoon” in this and you get my feelz on the issue.

Attachments

• 30DB0EC8-A79C-4477-97AC-1762CC276696.jpeg
    30DB0EC8-A79C-4477-97AC-1762CC276696.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 30

Currently wrestling with 3800 problems on another car (Equinox my Mom had new since 2007); I’m now calling any GM 3800 car a “racoon.” As in: “never again.”

I succeeded in the last two years getting both my mid-70s parents into a Lexus ES and an RX (both high mileage and well used), and out of the GM and Ford stuff they were driving. My future work load is dramatically reduced.

3800 never went in the Equinox.

2007 Equinox has a 3.4. Nothing like a 3800.

2007 Equinox has a 3.4. Nothing like a 3800.

LoL, yes you’re right. Late at night and I wasn’t thinking. V6 GM is not my forte.

But if you know the weirdness of them, and feel generous, help me solve some problems and pm me… ;)

The 3800 engine is a good engine, but there's more to a car than just the engine.

If you want a reliable car, it's hard to beat the Panther platform. (They are not fast or particularly pretty by today's standards ... but that's not what makes them desirable). There's a reason they made a metric ton of CVPIs, and most of them rocked on later in life as taxi's in about every large city in North America.
- V8
- RWD
- body on frame
.......... Panthers are essentially an F-150 with a trunk.
They do have little annoying things that go wrong, but most are solved with a quick trip to the parts store. Generally, the entire drivetrains are as reliable as Old Faithful and tough as granite. Plus, because they made a blue-bazillion of them for a very long time, parts are fairly easy to come by and reasonably priced.

I’m wondering why these are “old man” cars. At 19, I had a 1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency two door coupe. A two ton cruiser about the size of a Suburban.

It dwarfed anything you’re considering. Acres of velour accompanied the plush ride.

As I approach “old man” status, a have, well, they’re in my signature.

Not one of the current cars are anything like the boats you’re describing.

If i`m not mistaken the Grand Marquis is a rebadged Crown Victoria. And i suppose Crown Vic which have been widely used as police and taxi prove that it`s should be more reliable than say Buick. I know i would buy Mercury because of that fact and it`s better looking imo than Buick Lucerne.

It is very hard to beat a GM 3800. One can substitute bacon grease for oil and the engine wouldn't miss a beat.

Pontiac Bonneville, Buick Park Avenue (G platform ,2000-2005). Find a one owner one from a retired person in the Southwest and you will have a very nice vehicle with ample power and good fuel economy.

If I was gifted lets say a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville without rust. I would do the following and that car would be rock solid for many years:
-replace coolant elbows with metal replacement
- replace coolant tank
- flush coolant
- replace wheel bearings in the front (replace brake pads why in there)
- install a trans go shift kit
- update trans fluid to DEX VI
- replace serpentine belt
- oil change
- plugs
- air filter
- buy a spare ignition coil and keep in center console
-reglue the head liner
- replace motor mount with a hockey puck with a hole drilled in the middle

Spend a day doing the above, that Bonneville/ Park Avenue will be significantly more fuel efficient, dependable, and safer on wet roads than a Crown Vic.

Last edited:
Since where you live you see some inclement winter weather, my vote is for the FWD Buick.

Back