Keep getting the new car itch....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I refuse to buy a CVT. They've been around a LONG time and have never proven themselves.

I don't mind Honda CVT's since having a Honda Fit Sport loaner for 2 months for the air bag recall. But the way I drive I will destroy one in 40,000. Then it is $6,000 to get a new one.

Also direct injection, a problem waiting for a $900 fix every 40,000 to 60,000 miles, walnut blasting out the intake valve ports and valves. All motors need 2 injectors per port like Toyota and Lexus is doing on their more expensive cars. That solves the carboning up issue.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
...and its been worse than ever lately with the new Accord out. I stopped by Honda today to check it out in person. I have to say when they first came out I was a bit indifferent toward they styling, but it grew on me and it looks SWEET in person. I was hoping they would have a manual 2.0 to test drive, but no luck. All they had were CVT's on the lot.

I turned around and hopped back in my paid off Accord and drove home, and hit v-tec a couple times on the way back for kicks and giggles haha. I may look again toward the end of the 10th gen production so they get their teething issues taken care of. Handsome looking car none the less.

Here is the link to the one I was looking at...
2018 Accord Sport

I would keep your current Accord.

I also get the new car/truck itch from time to time. Then I rationalize that my vehicles have been longggg payed off & I dont want a payment "besides" my mortgage. Rather put my extra money into paying down the house or my 401k at this point. Granted -- "everybodys" situation is different in life. If I was to buy new -- the 2018 Toyota Camry XLE is the most appealing in that class.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on the 4 cylinder Accords yet....I have been eyeing the Ridgeline.....sell current truck and get the Ridgeline...it will pull my boat and Seadoo.....but.....dang.....38K???? At least it still has the V6.

Here’s my advice (which will surely be ignored).

Honda is having real issues with fuel dilution in its 1.5T engines. In cold weather, dilution is extreme and has triggered CELs and caused on the road breakdowns. If posters on CRV forums are to be believed, there are lots of them languishing on dealer lots waiting for a Honda fix.

Maybe the 2.0T is different, but fuel dilution seems to be a Honda thing at the moment, even in na DI engines. Of course we don’t know why this is so, but if one were to speculate it could be that Honda is running these engines extra-rich in certain conditions to be absolutely sure no LSPI events occur. While all OEMs do this, Honda seems to have carried it further, maybe accepting fuel dilution is the lesser of two evils even if it’s extreme. And maybe accepting slow, longevity-compromisIng damage in the process.

Honda may change course as these models age and may take a different approach when LSPI-preventing SN Plus oils are available. When/if this happens you should see the owner’s manual specify SN Plus as the only approved oil and you may also see a small bump in EPA mileage estimates. If it were me, I’d wait ‘til then.

You will not find a manual on the lot and good luck trying to find one anywhere. Dealers can't even order the car you want they are sent what Honda wants them to have. They will dealer trade if you want to pay for a manual car half way across the US to be shipped in. Not buyer friendly. I think they make one manual Accord and send it to Car and Driver.

I have probably the opposite feeling. Not many new cars appeal to me and they all seem the same. Vague looking crossovers with turbo 4 cylinder engines, numb feeling CVT transmissions, and everything controlled by an infotainment system. The cars that do stand out have some of the most ugly styling I've seen in the last 10 years.

Maybe I'm the only one under 30 years old who doesn't want a big bright screen distracting me while I'm driving, or things that light up and beep at me needlessly.
21.gif

If I'm plunking down the money for a new car I want to be excited about my purchase. A co-worker of mine recently bought a new car, and her feelings about it were "it's okay, I mean it gets me from A to B but it's nothing exciting". That's sad to me.

Danh,

On the 1.5, do you think the capacity of the sump has a big impact on the fuel dilution issue? If I remember rightly, it’s only 3.5 quarts. Does the 2.0 have a bigger sump?

I agree, the fuel dilution with the Honda 1.5 is very prominent in the forums. Honda seems to be hanging their hat and reputation on this engine though.

Why another Accord? It's quite obvious that Accords don't provide the needed owner satisfaction for OP, despite him claiming how great they are and that he will keep it forever, he keeps changing them quite often. Explore other options and you may find out your brand loyalty was unfounded.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Why another Accord? It's quite obvious that Accords don't provide the needed owner satisfaction for OP, despite him claiming how great they are and that he will keep it forever, he keeps changing them quite often. Explore other options and you may find out your brand loyalty was unfounded.
Sometimes you just get the itch for something different. That's what happened to me last year, I was happy with my Camry and wanted to take it to 300k miles but then I searched on AutoTrader for 2015 and newer Sonatas and found one at an unbelievable price and couldn't pass it up.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Is the "problematic VCM" Honda's CVT? ...their ONLY CVT?

No, VCM is Variable Cylinder Management aka ‘cylinder deactivation’, as found in all late model Honda V6s.

Google “Honda Engine Misfire Settlement” and spend a couple of hours educating yourself on how a large and talented legal department cuts a class-action lawsuit down to size. Many diehard Honda fans got burned in the early days of this problem and swore them off.

Good to remember what Honda really thinks of their customers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
The 1.5 is a DI engine and the 2.0 is multiport injection.

Better tell Honda: its website says the 2.0T is DI.

You may be thinking of the 2 liter engine available in lower Civic trims that is multi-port injected. But it’s a completely different engine.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Danh,

On the 1.5, do you think the capacity of the sump has a big impact on the fuel dilution issue? If I remember rightly, it’s only 3.5 quarts. Does the 2.0 have a bigger sump?

I agree, the fuel dilution with the Honda 1.5 is very prominent in the forums. Honda seems to be hanging their hat and reputation on this engine though.

The 1.5T has an oil and filter change capacity of 3.7 quarts, the 2.0T is 5.0 quarts, so both have about 2.5 quarts/liter of displacement. Not sure if that makes the 2.0 less prone to dilution or not as there will be higher fuel consumption and more piston ring area for unburned fuel to escape through.

The 1.5T dilution issue,really seems to have taken off in cold-weather parts of China. Owners are irritated enough they’ve taken to driving their CRVs to Honda dealers en masse and blocking access. Honda has been forced to admit there’s an issue, will provide free oil changes if crankcase levels are above a certain point and is working on a fix. Will they do the same for the US and Canada?

You have no idea how I feel right now lol. I just went to the Detroit Auto show today. Seeing new cars from most auto manufacturers today was a tantalizing nightmare. My cars are 19 and 28 years old. And I so wish I had a car with shiny paint like all those cars I saw today. Only reason I don’t go out and buy a car is I have no money. 3k savings to my name isn’t going to buy a nice new car. But if I had the money, I would definitely buy a nice car. I am a car guy.

Here’s some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back