Reliable/Low Maintenance or Super Fun Vehicle To Purchase

I really like to purchase a vehicle to have as a joyriding, weekend, family vehicle, and possibly other non-ordinary activities. Whenever I look for new vehicles, I always tend to head toward Honda because they are generally very easy to maintain and very reliable with basic maintenance. I have an 2002 Accord and 2012 Fit so I am technically two years past my vehicle purchase interval thanks to Honda’s reliability. But Honda doesn’t have any fun vehicle beside the Type R and I am not a stick driver; I can do if I need to in an emergency but I only learnt enough to say I can but never been a fan. I am listing down a few fun vehicle I always wanted to own but reluctant to. I have a very reliable now in a Fit and the Accord will be back in full duty once I put replace timing belt and water pump so I can confidently take it across country if need to (it is driven daily but mostly local and to the office 40 miles away); thereforex, super reliability is a nice to have rather a must have.

New Options because I can justify the cost as long as it is MSRP or below:
1) Dodge Challenger: Either SXT ( great fuel economy so I can drive it to Florida, Texas, or hit the beach 200 miles away regularly) or Scat Pack (Wonderful engine note, nice body kit from factory, and still respectable highway fuel economy)

2) Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - whichever version with 3.6 liter V6 and automatic. I always like a Jeep to take to Outer Bank. And it has enough space for everyday family use. I can also do limited towing when I get a big ATV, SxS, or little camper)

3) Jeep Gladiator - Probably the bad model Sport S. Everything I want in a Wrangler but with a bed and automatic in much lower cost trim. This satisfies the truck need/want to.

4) Dodge Ram 1500 - Either a Big Horn or Tradesman. I actually prefer the Tradesman because of the front bench seat; it is a southern thing.

5) Dodge Charger SXT - A big burly American muscle that can serve as a comfortable family sedan. I definitely don’t need a V8 here as I can see this puppy going to Florida and back to West Virginia a lot.

Used options as they are expensive for what they are new. Probably want these to be under 50k miles
6) Bimmer 330i - I always like a Bimmer even though I know they can be nightmare for those not very mechanical inclined, with tons of tools and garage space, and access to affordable indi-shop.

7) Porsche 911 - It is a Porsche

Used and probably under 100k miles as these aren’t that bad to maintain.
8) Corvette - Base model with automatic
9) Lexus IS 250/300/350
10) LEXUS LS 460. The LS 430 has timing belt and I try to avoid vehicle with timing belt unless I know the seller and know it has been done on time and within 30k miles.

I know option 8-10 are easy as Lexus are relatively reliable and I can at least change the oil. The ATF on newer Toyota vehicles are a pain but I can manage with minimal fuss. And the Corvette aren’t nightmare to own if properly inspected to not have been owned by an abusive maniac.

Anything I should be worrying about and plan for in each of these choices.

The boring but reliable choice is a new Civic, Accord, Prius, or Tundra. I am neither rich or broke; just frugal and wasn’t the best with finance because I helped people so Incan afford each car listed but I do have other responsibilities outside of car note, which I hadn’t had since 2013. And the house is paid off next year so this will be a midlife purchase.

I love my RAM Classic. Best riding truck on the planet. If you like the Classic style get one! My Pentastar V6 puts out 305hp and still gets 20+ mpg.

You mentioned family, but also the Corvette so I will assume 2 seaters work; Boxster w/ the PDK. Buy as new & nice as your situation allows. Two 911's but the Boxster is my favorite driver.

I have a 2022 RAM Classic RCSB, white, 3.6/auto, my work truck. Wife has 2019 Charger SXT white, 3.6/auto. I've had 3 Challenger R/T's, 5.7/ 6 speed manuals. I wanted something more Ahhhhh............. So. 2023 Challenger SXT in Destroyer Gray, full leather, all the bells and whistles interior. Couldn't be happier. Unless I find a Mopar anything with a 426 HEMI in it. The only Mopar engine I haven't owned.

I love my RAM Classic. Best riding truck on the planet. If you like the Classic style get one! My Pentastar V6 puts out 305hp and still gets 20+ mpg.
I know I have lower view of Chrysler reliability than of Honda and Toyota but Jeep and Ram have better design departments than most automakers. Just look at how beautiful the Challenger is comparing to the Camaro in term of true retro. And a Ram truck is so beautiful that Toyota mimic the overall shape for their Tubdra from the 07 model year onward with the big bubble shape. And Ford stole the Wrangler design and will likey steal the Gladiator design next.

You mentioned family, but also the Corvette so I will assume 2 seaters work; Boxster w/ the PDK. Buy as new & nice as your situation allows. Two 911's but the Boxster is my favorite driver.
Yeah. Two seater works in some instances. Very small family. And the next vehicle will likely go to the kid once driving skill is sufficient for the vehicle.

Last edited:
I know I have lower view of Chrysler reliability than of Honda and Toyota but Jeep and Ram have better design departments than most automakers. Just look at how beautiful the Challenger is comparing to the Camaro in term of true retro. And a Ram truck is so beautiful that Toyota mimic the overall shape for their Tubdra from the 07 model year onward with the big bubble shape. And Ford stole the Wrangler design and will likey steal the Gladiator design next.
The RAM Classic (mine is a 2019) has slightly older tech, and I love the simplicity of it. The later Classics like any other generation have things pretty well worked out. I avoid the first 1-2 years of any make.

Edmunds calls it "superior".

Wrx with a cvt
I honestly have no faith in Subaru’s engine reliability. The 2.5 suffers one bad poor design after another and all from Subaru’s informed decision to use improper material to ruin an otherwise good engine. Head gasket was the result of wrong gasket use and now the oil leak in another area where a wrong seal/gasket material is used. That is a new problem they knowingly created after addressing some of the blown head gasket problem. Great looking cars, awesome AWD system but corporate ruin this and that is why it is forever a niche car company.

I really like to purchase a vehicle to have as a joyriding, weekend, family vehicle, and possibly other non-ordinary activities. Whenever I look for new vehicles, I always tend to head toward Honda because they are generally very easy to maintain and very reliable with basic maintenance. I have an 2002 Accord and 2012 Fit so I am technically two years past my vehicle purchase interval thanks to Honda’s reliability. But Honda doesn’t have any fun vehicle beside the Type R and I am not a stick driver; I can do if I need to in an emergency but I only learnt enough to say I can but never been a fan. I am listing down a few fun vehicle I always wanted to own but reluctant to. I have a very reliable now in a Fit and the Accord will be back in full duty once I put replace timing belt and water pump so I can confidently take it across country if need to (it is driven daily but mostly local and to the office 40 miles away); thereforex, super reliability is a nice to have rather a must have.

New Options because I can justify the cost as long as it is MSRP or below:
1) Dodge Challenger: Either SXT ( great fuel economy so I can drive it to Florida, Texas, or hit the beach 200 miles away regularly) or Scat Pack (Wonderful engine note, nice body kit from factory, and still respectable highway fuel economy)

2) Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - whichever version with 3.6 liter V6 and automatic. I always like a Jeep to take to Outer Bank. And it has enough space for everyday family use. I can also do limited towing when I get a big ATV, SxS, or little camper)

3) Jeep Gladiator - Probably the bad model Sport S. Everything I want in a Wrangler but with a bed and automatic in much lower cost trim. This satisfies the truck need/want to.

4) Dodge Ram 1500 - Either a Big Horn or Tradesman. I actually prefer the Tradesman because of the front bench seat; it is a southern thing.

5) Dodge Charger SXT - A big burly American muscle that can serve as a comfortable family sedan. I definitely don’t need a V8 here as I can see this puppy going to Florida and back to West Virginia a lot.

Used options as they are expensive for what they are new. Probably want these to be under 50k miles
6) Bimmer 330i - I always like a Bimmer even though I know they can be nightmare for those not very mechanical inclined, with tons of tools and garage space, and access to affordable indi-shop.

7) Porsche 911 - It is a Porsche

Used and probably under 100k miles as these aren’t that bad to maintain.
8) Corvette - Base model with automatic
9) Lexus IS 250/300/350
10) LEXUS LS 460. The LS 430 has timing belt and I try to avoid vehicle with timing belt unless I know the seller and know it has been done on time and within 30k miles.

I know option 8-10 are easy as Lexus are relatively reliable and I can at least change the oil. The ATF on newer Toyota vehicles are a pain but I can manage with minimal fuss. And the Corvette aren’t nightmare to own if properly inspected to not have been owned by an abusive maniac.

Anything I should be worrying about and plan for in each of these choices.

The boring but reliable choice is a new Civic, Accord, Prius, or Tundra. I am neither rich or broke; just frugal and wasn’t the best with finance because I helped people so Incan afford each car listed but I do have other responsibilities outside of car note, which I hadn’t had since 2013. And the house is paid off next year so this will be a midlife purchase.
If you're wanting a reliable, versatile, low-maintenance vehicle, a Toyota 4Runner is the best I've ever owned. They run forever and are just about worry free. We have a 2006 (240k miles) and a 2018 (85k miles) and both have been fantastic. The 4.0L V6 uses a timing chain, so very low maintenance.

I have a 2022 RAM Classic RCSB, white, 3.6/auto, my work truck. Wife has 2019 Charger SXT white, 3.6/auto. I've had 3 Challenger R/T's, 5.7/ 6 speed manuals. I wanted something more Ahhhhh............. So. 2023 Challenger SXT in Destroyer Gray, full leather, all the bells and whistles interior. Couldn't be happier. Unless I find a Mopar anything with a 426 HEMI in it. The only Mopar engine I haven't owned.
There is a guy with a Scat Pack Challenger living some far from here. I normally see him past my neighborhood in the morning as I wait to enter the main road. He always has this grin on his face as he comes around the corner and you can hear that big 6.4 liter Hemi rumbling from miles away. That is probably the cheapest amusement park ride in life.

What about going electric? You already have two ICE cars for if you need to go on a road trip where charging infrastructure isn’t perfect. Meanwhile you can daily drive the EV - they’re fun to drive!
If I am more confident about hidden repair and upkeep cost of EV, I would get a Tesla since it is technically faster than many non-exotic car off the line. But the $20k battery cost and unknown service life and a host of possible hidden repair cost prevent me from owning one.

Also, I can’t see myself finding a EV charge station in the middle of WV mountain area or the Outer Banks where I go for ATV and off-road adventure with friends. Out in the isolated WV area, they have 3 dedicated fuel and stores (forgot the exact name for this type of store but it sells food and serve food too) near the trail and a fuel, beer, and food station rigjt on the trail; gas is sold from 2-gallon or 5-gallon cans or those wanting to top off without getting out of trail.

Fun is subjective.

My family has had a ton of fun in our Xterra - camping, finding backwoods fishing holes, driving on the beach.

I think Corvette's are cool, but will never own one likely. Would never use it enough - no room for the family.

You're all over the map on choices. Being you already have two cars, I'd get a truck.
It is a want and not a need. I have all the vehicle I need. Thank you Honda for making reliable cars that area easy to work on.

Back