If 10mm is ok for bears, why not 357 mag?

Definitely a good way to look at. However we shouldn’t hyper focus on ballistics with handguns on large animals especially. Penetration of vital structures is what is going to put the large animal away with a pistol round. I see this choice as giving one more chances to puncture vital structures not as more kinetic energy summed on target.
Agreed.

The more chances you have with a viable round the better.

Carry what you have and can actually hit with.

Was gonna chime in that your statement is the most correct...and from the guy in Alaska no less.
I have met and heard from knowledgable outdoorsman from Alaska that really don't worry a whole lot about caliber of handgun for bear protection. In fact many carried a 9mm, usually a high capacity one, with FMJ ammunition. They felt the key was simply always having it on them. At least anecdotally from news articles, there were more than enough news articles on 9mm working, for them to feel confident it was "enough gun".

In Canada, it has to be at least .44Mag to get an ATC (authorization to carry) for wilderness protection, not an easy task to get the ATC anyway. Many choose .454 Casull thou.

With the powerhouse ammo you start to run into issues with the automatic delivering consistent performance, factory springs and hot loads end up opening early and your power goes away. You need to start using different slide and hammer springs which will beat up the lugs and slide stop - then the lighter stuff wont cycle as well.

With an aftermarket barrel (tighter chamber) and 22lb recoil spring, my particular G20 is more reliable than stock shooting both 10mm and .40.
No one can make a case for the 10 MM being more versatile, you are stuck with one ammo.
See above.

With an aftermarket barrel (tighter chamber) and 22lb recoil spring, my particular G20 is more reliable than stock shooting both 10mm and .40.

See above.

Is there a .40 rifle? I think I've seen them? (Ruger?)

I'll still take the flexibility of being able to run three loads in a 357 over a one size 40 or 10.

I also like the ability to operate without a magazine which the 40 or 10 forces on you.

The heavier spring while assuring full hot load performance typically compromises lighter load cycling performance.

How are you determining these mods make it more reliable than stock 10 and 40 setup? According to owners of these weapons they "never malfunction/ fail to cycle or misfire" so perfection is a hard metric to top.

Last edited:
Is there a .40 rifle? I think I've seen them? (Ruger?)

I'll still take the flexibility of being able to run three loads in a 357 over a one size 40 or 10.

I also like the ability to operate without a magazine which the 40 or 10 forces on you.

The heavier spring while assuring full hot load performance typically compromises lighter load cycling performance.

How are you determining these mods make it more reliable than stock 10 and 40 setup? According to owners of these weapons they "never malfunction/ fail to cycle or misfire" so perfection is a hard metric to top.
Not just any 10mm firearm can fire .40, research needed for each, but for the Glock 20/40 it is the case.
Reliability in my case was just based on the number of failures to eject and misfeeds. Glock perfection ... not with my copy.

Not just any 10mm firearm can fire .40, research needed for each, but for the Glock 20/40 it is the case.
Reliability in my case was just based on the number of failures to eject and misfeeds. Glock perfection ... not with my copy.

Huh? Wasnt aware this could be achieved? Pretty sure no factory rifle can do both? That'd be cool.

Even if so - neither the 40 nor the 10MM match the 357's muzzle energy out of an 18" barrel. The 357 Beats the 10MM by over 200lb ft / 20+%.

Last edited:
I shot a bear in Quebec province some years ago. I was in a tree stand and fired at the bears shoulder from about 100 yards. I was using a Marlin Cowboy action .45-70 with 350 grain +P ammo. Hit the bear right in the lower shoulder. Bullet cut through the leg bone, went through his heart and cut a rib on the far side. Died instantly. I dug the expanded bullet out of about one foot of sandy soil! So I would say a .45-70 is more than adequate for bears. I am sure it would have a similar effect on a brown bear at 100 yards.

My Glock 20 has been utterly reliable with 10mm ammo.

Are you saying that your Glock didn’t perform reliably with 10mm?

Or, as I read your post, that it was unreliable with .40 ammo?

Because if it is the latter, that is clearly on you. No firearm manufacturer condones firing .40 in a 10mm gun, despite what internet blowhards post about doing so.

Never had a Glock with a Glock barrel misfeed or otherwise FTF.

I have used .40SW Barrels (and 9x25 and 357Sig) in my Glock 20, which is the right way to do it. And some of those aftermarket barrels are a bit tight (LW) and need clean up, not a huge issue.

Yeah…lots of folks do this, and claim success.
A lot of people don't know how 10mm/40SW depend on case...........and they need to think how a .40 sits and is held in a 10mm chamber. I treat my guns better than that. Someone who does this without correct chambered barrel is abusing the gun. And yeah it might work.....

... Some Alaskan guides carry a lever in .45-70. I suppose that would be my minimum caliber.
Another common bear protection firearm among guides and rangers is a 12 gauge with heavy slugs like the Brenneke black magic, 3" magnum, 602 grain.

Back