My firearms should be greased or not question…..for the experts….

From my POV, oil is a product used for two purposes. First, oil is used in sealed machinery with oiling systems where oil flows through machinery providing lubrication and wear particle removal. Second, oil is used in a non-lubricating function for wipe down for corrosion prevention.

That is not really what a firearm is. A firearm is a an open system. This is where grease does best for lube….in open or high potential to leak systems. Grease also allows for higher pressure wear resistance….if formulated so.

Grease gets a bad rap. Mostly because most gun grease is reformulated auto or aviation grease…. This is because they are NLGI #2. Think peanut butter! IMO, the key is doing what ALG has done, but with real grease with a tds and sds. That is making NLGI #0 or #00. If those documents don’t exist for your grease, it is probably a repackage of a low cost product and then needs to be secret. Anyways…

I’m looking at:

I worry this could be a coloring and resale of another aviation product. Not bad, but why not buy the parent grease for less??

Another is John Deere Special Corn Head Grease:

Some TDS info…. but kind of limited

Anybody use either of these on a gun?

Fast Forward a week. I bought JD Corn Head grease. It looks pretty good. Very thin. I don’t mind testing, but I’m interested in your results. Any negatives? What could be an issue?

Are there any finish concerns I should have? Polyurea grease does have a lot of internet chatter, but it seems that is damaging the grease by putting it on equipment with other grease.

So, any reason to think it might damage Cerakote, DW Duty Treat, DLC, or S&W Melonite? SS ok? Bluing?

I’d appreciate your thoughts on this application….

I have had negative experiences with grease in guns, particularly in semi-auto mechanisms. It slowed down the action just enough to cause mis-feeds. Changed to oil, and the problem went away. I've never used it since.

But I can see a few places where it might be the right choice, particularly on bolt or lever action guns. As you say, it would have to be the right grease, with good cold temperature characteristics.

On polymer guns I use oil. A very small amount is all that necessary.
On my all steel 1911 I use grease.

A great resource can be found on a forum dedicated to Sig pistols by a contributor who goes by the name Flork.

Grease on guns that call for it. Oil for guns that call for it. Of all of my guns, the Garand is the only one to really call for grease. Everything else gets oil.

Often times depends on the gun in question. I use Enos slide glide for most of my grease needs. That said, I use about a gallon (I shoot a lot and clean a lot) a year of BreakFree CLP as it does most of what is needed. For specific oiling, I have a needle dropper filled with Mobil 1 5-30. I drop a dab of oil on all the metal parts of my plastic guns (Glock, Shadow Systems,HK USP's, M&P, Sig 365) but the oil truly shines with the metal frame guns like my Sig P series (220's, 229's, 226's) and my 1911's.

Something to be cautious over is grease on many parts of a gun. Think 1911 rails as a prime example. Put grease in a rail slot and much of it gets pushed out. I used 5-30 oil alone on a new 226 and 229 Legion LE guns from new to 2500 rounds each. The results were impressive with barely any wear.

I learned of this when I bought 2 Alchemy Prime Elite 1911's from the builder Rob Schauland who explained this well. After application, it sure does work well. Tighter tolerances even more.....

Last edited:
Pistols get a very, very thin coat of Magnalube on the slide to frame contact points. If it's an AR, it gets a light coat of Redline 2-stroke oil on reciprocating parts. Grease tends to pick up lint, dirt, stray tumbleweeds and stale farts, so I don't use it much.

The only one-off is the Garand, which gets a very light coat of Magnalube on the op rod and follower rod.

Cherrybalmz seems to have a decent rep on some of the better gun boards, but I've never used it. Can't say I've ever seen any discoloration or similar from using grease or oil on guns.

I have had negative experiences with grease in guns, particularly in semi-auto mechanisms. It slowed down the action just enough to cause mis-feeds. Changed to oil, and the problem went away. I've never used it since.
Which grease? What was the NLGI rating?

If it stinks, don't use it to lube your guns.
Is this a hunting reference? BTW, Corn Head grease has no smell.

Oil for guns that call for it.
I think most guns do, but after a year, it is kind of gummy or so thin it is gone.
I use Enos slide glide for most of my grease needs.
What nlgi number is that?

Would the maker of a firearm not know the best way to lubricate it?

But this is BITOG, you should fit right in, welcome.

Here is how Glock says to lubricate a clean Glock pistol.
1708749024684.jpg

No, in general, but good advice for:

Storage. Smells like sulfur fert in your safe and every time you open your safe
Carry. I can smell the stench, can you?
Range. That guy uses gear oil, phew.
Hunting. No need for any much aroma.

I know nothing of Corn Head. And yes, there are some greases that don't have an aroma.

This seems to be a highly contested topic. Grease vs oil for guns. Some gunmakers spec grease and others oil, and some spec oil in some places and grease in others. Why? many reasons I am sure, and not all because it is best.

It also depends on the gun. Some guns run a little less "violently" and have issues with grease slowing the action. I dont think you can ever use "too much" oil, but you can use "too much" grease.

Generally speaking, I use grease where things slide against each other, and oil where things pivot, and not a bunch of either.

Which grease? What was the NLGI rating?

I think most guns do, but after a year, it is kind of gummy or so thin it is gone.

What nlgi number is that?
I’ve literally never had any of my handguns or ARs gum up using gun oil or engine oil. What are you doing with your life? That includes 30 years of shooting on the civilian side and 8 years in the Army Infantry.

It also depends on the gun. Some guns run a little less "violently" and have issues with grease slowing the action. I dont think you can ever use "too much" oil, but you can use "too much" grease.
Doesn’t this also depend on the grease? When using oils, it seems bone dry after a few rounds. I’m sure it is still on there from a corrosion protection viewpoint, but it is not migrating wear particles away from the point of wear.

With a grease, the main concern is viscosity slowing a spring or gas powered mechanism, right? That is a real concern with applications of std NLGI #2. With #0 or #00 is this really a concern? It doesn’t have the negative of oil migration or evaporation(which I think is mostly migration). Most grease tend to dry up slower.

Grease on a Garand bolt . ATF Motor oil or some lube from a spray can . It won't matter. I will use gear oil for the first couple of range trips on a new 1911 slide to frame,,, just in case. For storage there are rust preventers in a spray can. Amsoil metal protector works really good.

I’ve literally never had any of my handguns or ARs gum up using gun oil or engine oil. What are you doing with your life? That includes 30 years of shooting on the civilian side and 8 years in the Army Infantry.
Well, it often happens with my collection guns that see shooting and cleaning less that once per year. This is with WeaponsShield which has been better than others like Hoppes oil or Rem oil.

From my POV, oil is a product used for two purposes. First, oil is used in sealed machinery with oiling systems where oil flows through machinery providing lubrication and wear particle removal. Second, oil is used in a non-lubricating function for wipe down for corrosion prevention.

That is not really what a firearm is. A firearm is a an open system. This is where grease does best for lube….in open or high potential to leak systems. Grease also allows for higher pressure wear resistance….if formulated so.

Grease gets a bad rap. Mostly because most gun grease is reformulated auto or aviation grease…. This is because they are NLGI #2. Think peanut butter! IMO, the key is doing what ALG has done, but with real grease with a tds and sds. That is making NLGI #0 or #00. If those documents don’t exist for your grease, it is probably a repackage of a low cost product and then needs to be secret. Anyways…

I’m looking at:

I worry this could be a coloring and resale of another aviation product. Not bad, but why not buy the parent grease for less??

Another is John Deere Special Corn Head Grease:

Some TDS info…. but kind of limited

Anybody use either of these on a gun?

Fast Forward a week. I bought JD Corn Head grease. It looks pretty good. Very thin. I don’t mind testing, but I’m interested in your results. Any negatives? What could be an issue?

Are there any finish concerns I should have? Polyurea grease does have a lot of internet chatter, but it seems that is damaging the grease by putting it on equipment with other grease.

So, any reason to think it might damage Cerakote, DW Duty Treat, DLC, or S&W Melonite? SS ok? Bluing?

I’d appreciate your thoughts on this application….
What do the technical data packages for your firearms call for (a/k/a civilian Owners Manual) ?? Don't get paralyzed by analysis.

Back