If 10mm is ok for bears, why not 357 mag?

Very mild but yes in some cases or burr removal. In at least one barrel just polishing compound.

Lone Wolf used to be infamous for this. Under specification! We reasoned it was tool wear.
Thanks, I have a spectresupply barrel that I suspect is narrower towards the end of the chamber, have to do some measuring.

For years there has been a debate about the "best" bear repellent caliber. Many have said "44 mag is the minimum" While others say "10mm is best". Why would 357 mag not be proper if 10mm is satisfactory?
357 Mag would be sufficient in most cases, imo.
My Dad loaded all of his own ammo starting way back in 1966 and 357 Mag was
one of his favorite calibers in the pistol category. He could load them with different powder, bullet configurations and some was very destructive.
He also cast a lot of his own bullets and had the lead and babbitt mixtures down
very well that worked best in certain guns he used them in.
He was very good at the reloading and had a couple manuals, Hornady, RCBS, and another
or two that he went by. He also loved shooting my old Ruger Redhawk which i loaded
for as well. He had an early 1970s model Remington 222 that he loaded for and he had it
down to near perfection. That old rifle was deadly accurate and he killed many, many groundhogs and coyotes some more than 300 yds away on a pretty consistent basis.
He taught both us boys reloading, from the late 60s through the 1970s and neither one of us has ever bought ammo since then. Just all supplies needed to reload and doing the best we could to perfect the loads for the most accuracy and right loads for target shooting or hunting.

Interesting. My Gen 4 will intermittently malfunction if fired without a magazine inserted, my Gen 3 has never done that, ever.
I have heard of that. I do not own a gen 4 0r 5..........I should have been more precise, I recommend the Gen4 ejector, if you are having non ammo related ejection issues, not just because.

My G27 gen3 pretty much does... Pretty wild having cases landing on your head.
I tried a a CZ polymer striker pistol a while back and got hit with cases in the forehead. The owner said, yeah, the ejector needs to be adjusted.

My G27 gen3 pretty much does... Pretty wild having cases landing on your head.
you might be a candidate for the gen 4 ejector swap, it is easy, assuming you you have a little hand skills
Why do you want to shoot the bear?
Protection from attack, or do you just hunt them?
Really it was a question to start a conversation\arguement on why 44mag is the "minimum" caliber for bear protection, while some tout 10mm as adequate. If 10mm is adequate, then 357 mag should be aswell.

I do not hunt, if I was hunting bear, I would use a 12ga with slugs, likely hardcast.

Bear encounters are common and yet attacks are very rare.

If one is truly worried about bears, one should be more concerned about figuring out which bear spray is best than splitting hairs over extremely similar pistol and revolver calibers.
I’m not gambling on bear spray if I’m being charged by an aggressive bear.

These folks tried that recently.

It didn’t work out well for them.

Better hike with a rifle, then.

I stay in a bush camp in SE AK for one of my clients/projects each year during the summer (placer gold/industrial minerals project, I'm a geologist). It's a remote area with bush plane service only. We see bears (black/brown) almost every day during our work there. There are typically a variety of firearms folks carry mainly large hand guns like the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaska (I believe it was a .45), .44 Magnum, Desert Eagles, .454 Casull, etc. I have seen .357 as well there but doesn't seem as popular chatting with some of the folks there. My client/good friend carries a Glock 20/10mm and that's what I'm picking up this year to take. Small/easier to deal with and 10mm has been shown to be able to stop a bear. He was charged on a project years ago and killed the bear with a shotgun. All of these folks receive intensive multi-day bear firearm defense training. Drill crew keeps a Remington shotgun on the rig - the best choice. You never leave camp without a firearm or someone with one. Camp has designated shooters with training. Most of the handguns are for folks like me working in the field/sampling/etc. so need our hands free and rifles can be harder to deal with and in the end, if it's not on you/close you are dead if a bear charges you, you are probably dead anyway b/c as much as everyone likes to talk about/think they will do this/that, unless you have been trained, it is unlikely that you will be able to keep your cool and land some shots in the right place in the few seconds you have with the bear running at you at a v. high rate of speed. I have shot some of these larger hand guns and to me, I'd rather have something smaller that I can be more comfortable with/accurate with as I'm not a v. big person. I have carried bear spray as well, it can be v. effective if used properly (training...again....). Shooting/killing a bear is a big deal and if you do end up having to do that, the game folks will be contacted/coming to camp in short order to investigate.

Last edited:

Pepper spray takes a few seconds to work.

Back