If 10mm is ok for bears, why not 357 mag?

For years there has been a debate about the "best" bear repellent caliber. Many have said "44 mag is the minimum" While others say "10mm is best". Why would 357 mag not be proper if 10mm is satisfactory?

For years there has been a debate about the "best" bear repellent caliber. Many have said "44 mag is the minimum" While others say "10mm is best". Why would 357 mag not be proper if 10mm is satisfactory?
The two are within a few lb ft of one another so if 10 works so would a 357.

Ive never seen a 10MM rifle, but if you put that 357 in a 18 inch barrel lever action rifle it will really lay down a wallop It's got more energy than a 223 at short range.

Neither are preferable to a .44

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 5.56.28 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 5.56.22 PM.jpg

15 rounds vs 5-6?
typical handguns for the 2 rounds would be a glock 20 and a revolver for the .357?

Yeah - prob a 4.5" glock and a 6" revolver would be the most common "woods" carries.

What caliber? It depends on the bear.

Repellent or extermination? Sometimes you intend to do the former and you end up being the latter.

Some Alaskan guides carry a lever in .45-70. I suppose that would be my minimum caliber.

If someone asks what my ideal is for bear its - a marlin 45-70 modded to take .457 and for a take down -
fits into a briefcase.

Co-Pilot.jpg

Shot my friends .444 Marlin busting crates and stuff …
they pack enough ME …

Depending on the loading, either might be ok. Heck, some of the spicier .357 sig and .45 +p loadings might even be nominally acceptable out of a long enough barrel.

I would imagine the size of the anticipated animal should factor in significantly as well.

Only a handful of companies actually load 10mm to it's proper powerhouse levels. Underwood being the flagship ammo. Why carry a 6 shot .357 when you can have a Glock 20 with 15rds of 10mm semi-auto. 20 round mag plus are also available. Now with the Gen 5 mos you cent even mount the red dot optic of your choice. IMHO I rather have 15-20 round mag dump on a charging bear than a flimsy 5-6 shot revolver.

Back