How do you like your steak cooked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want it hot when it gets to me. So however that happens... Anything from rare onward as long as it's actually hot on the plate
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Originally Posted By: Trav
Medium well with loads of onions, peppers and melted Swiss cheese on top with coleslaw on the side.

A slice of Spam under all that would taste the same as a steak...
27.gif

Oh no, on a good steak it taste great. Spam
37.gif

Always on the rare side.
How rare depends upon the cut.
Filet is good quite rare while a chuck steak needs a little more cooking.
Fried mushrooms, onions and green peppers go well with steak along with maybe asparagus or a green salad.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Well. No blood

It is NOT "blood" when you cut into a steak

It is Keratin. Just because it's red, don't assume it is blood.

No, it's a compound called myoglobin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoglobin

I get a good 3/8"to 1/2" smoke ring in my briskets because my fire management and cooking techniques allow a lot of NOX interaction with the myoglobin in the meat muscle tissue.

Keratin is an essential protien for hair, hooves, fingernails, etc. Not part of my steaks or other meat dishes, all that type stuff is removed from a carcass I cook parts of long before it's cooked.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratin

I spent one year as a personal servant for my elderly in-laws (1 with dementia/parkinsons and the other with hip problems), my goal was to provide the best nutrition and keep their weight up and provide food at a better quality than their independent living facility and what they could do for themselves at a cheaper price. I cooked steak once to twice a week and perfected my technique to get the same results of a well seasoned, tender, and medium/rare cooked steak by focusing most of the time cooking them on their sides until the fat was cooked.

Kroger's often has T-bone steaks for sale at $4.95/lb > These steaks are large and thick with a Tenderloin portion about the size of the palm of a regular hand.

I use a method used in Spain to prepare the steak. Only two spices.

Add salt (about a 1 to 2 teaspoons) (start with 1 teaspoon of Sea Salt)

Cover all sides in Pimenton REY De La Vera Picante (see Amazon two packet deal right now $13 for two cans) This is no Paprika, it has exclusive peppers from the De La Vera Region and the process that make them the best quality and intensity than anywhere else in the world. Pimenton with the DOP import marking and my preference for REY brand with the solid red container.

The steak should be covered entirely with red pimento just like a peppered steak looks black.

Wrap very tightly a plastic wrap to keep the juices inside the steak once the salt breaks down the tissue.
To make this skin tight you cut a long and large piece and place the steak in the middle and pull on the plastic under tension around the edge.
Continue wrapping with overlap.

Allow to sit in the fridge for 1 hr or on the counter for 1 hr before cooking on gas or charcoal.

Add olive oil to keep steaks from drying out by soaking for about 10 minutes on all sides.

By cooking the fat on the side it drips on the diffusers and coats the steak with roasted fat flavor. Align the edge of the steak over the diffusers.

Cook the steak on its thick fat edged sides first (consider stacking the steaks to keep them upright as they get warm and the meat relaxes as well as isolating the center of the steak from heat: I tent the steaks against each other so that they stand mostly on their sides)

Rotate to the thick fat sides after about 10-15 minutes, depending on temperature, and cook nicely on a hot coals so that the fat is cooked well but not burnt black

Save the tenderloin side for last and gently and lightly cook the fat on the side.

By the time the fat is cooked then you only need a little bit of time (5 min on each side) to cook the large surface area.

Keep the tenderloin on the lower temperature side while the strip side cooks on the hotter side

Place steak in 1 gallon zip lock bag and let rest for 15 minutes sealed.

If your steak is too hot or over cooked, then the zip lock bag will contain a lot of liquid.

It has simply escaped and the tissue that retains the liquid breaks down too much and leaves the steak dry without flavor

By letting the steak sit in a 1 gallon bag you are allowing the external heat to penetrate deeper into the steak tissue while allow it to remain tender.

The steak may look red on the inside but it is cooked like Roast beef is cooked and remains red or like prime rib is red but cooked.

Once you get the salt ratio and the cook timing correct you will find that your steak can rest in the plastic bag

without releasing a lot of liquid and have the excellent flavors of the pimenton.

I have not failed in the past year and half in cooking these steaks in different grill conditions. My focus was on the dry rub, cooking the edge fat, and placing the steak in the bag earlier than I expect to keep it cooking and tender without releasing the liquid.

Let me know how this works for you. It make take a few tries.

The pimento is good for eggs and a lot of other dry rubs and rice etc. but my favorite is on vanilla ice cream
smile.gif

This is what I learned after 11 months of cooking steak once a week on a gas grill

Medium Rare, or rare, but I won't turn away even well done if its a good chunk of beef.
If its just for me I'll rub in a little salt and ground pepper on each side, and brown up some butter in the cast iron pan until it starts to smoke a bit and toss it in for a few minutes per side.
Lately I'll buy a cheaper roast and slice it up. Something like a sirloin tip has lots of good flavour and if its med rare or less, is tender enough to enjoy for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back