What do you have in your emergency Food supplies?

I have been building onto my Food and supplies in general as of late. Nothing to crazy but maybe a 2-4 week supply. All the talk of potential cyberattacks is a good reminder to me to make sure I have the "just in case" stockpile.

Anyways, what are some essentials you all have in your supply? In the UHT milk thread, I saw powdered milk and eggs which I thought was a great idea. I also have pre-cooked pasta and rice and rotate them as necessary

Mountain house freeze-dried hiking foods, rice, instant coffee/cream, ramen. Rice and ramen aren't necessarily saved as emergency food but they last forever and I always have a lot of them.

Mountain house freeze-dried hiking foods, rice, instant coffee/cream, ramen. Rice and ramen aren't necessarily saved as emergency food but they last forever and I always have a lot of them.
Three cans of Nalleys chili, two cans of green beans, a can of chicken noodle soup and a jar of instant coffee. No, I am not going to post something like that on a public site monitored by the FBI.

Yes, I am paranoid. The question is, am a paranoid enough?

Rice, loaf of bread or two, plastic silverware, peanut butter (mom’s homemade stuff) and local strawberry jelly. Some beans, spinach and kale, apples and banana and avocado.

Some say we are a defeated nation . Open borders, corrupt politicians that have bankrupted us. I would guess 7 years of food, fuel clothing etc. would be needed.

More of a hurricane supply - We keep canned meat - danish ham to spam - lots of canned foods … bunch of water - etc
Would eat from the freezer a little while at first …
Have a couple boxes of freeze dried as last resort …

I have a backyard full of squirrels and a couple of shot guns. All I need in the pantry is some pepper, flower, a touch of grease and I can live quite comfortably on squirrel gravy and biscuits. Yes, I'm a hillbilly from West Virginia :)

Just get some of these Jim Bakker food buckets...lol

jim-bakker-creamy-potato-soup-bucket.gif

In the hall closet, we keep backpacks for my wife and I. Each is packed for 72 hour survival, with freeze dried meals, energy bars, water, some cash, emergency blankets, single use style ponchos, matches, first aid kit, a small butane stove to fix meals on. This kind of stuff. These are our go bags. If there was a disaster that required us to leave home, this is what we grab.

For home, we also try to keep a few months of food on the shelf. Soups, pasta sauce and spaghetti noodles, canned fruit, chili, Ramen noodles, breakfast cereal, UHT pasturized milk, baking items such as flour, sugar, baking powder. We also try to keep a few weeks of frozen food in the freezer.

We may not live like we are accustomed to, but hopefully survive if there was a disaster.

Last edited:
I have been building onto my Food and supplies in general as of late. Nothing to crazy but maybe a 2-4 week supply. All the talk of potential cyberattacks is a good reminder to me to make sure I have the "just in case" stockpile.

Anyways, what are some essentials you all have in your supply? In the UHT milk thread, I saw powdered milk and eggs which I thought was a great idea. I also have pre-cooked pasta and rice and rotate them as necessary

It is interesting how the potential threats to our security has changed over time.

When I was a young boy, the worry was the threat of an all-out nuclear war with the Soviet Union. Later, there was a threat of a nationwide truckers strike, and people became keenly aware of how much this could cripple our country, and how quickly grocery shelves could become bare. Today, one of our greatest fears is cyberattacks, and how much it could cripple our infrastructure.

I would guess 7 years of food, fuel clothing etc. would be needed.
Canned food would only be good for a year or 2. For 7 years you would need 5040 150 gram servings of rice for 2 people a 2 meals a day. 5040 150 gram servings = 1667 lbs of rice = 67 25lb bags / i.e. 67 pails. Definitely doable. At $13 a bag from Sams Club this would cost you $871 for the rice and $350+ for 67 buckets from Lowes. Add some oxygen absorber packs and Mylar bags if you want and you are out $1200+. Not bad for 7 years of food. Beans would be more expensive.

I personally have a few pails of rice, bags of dried beans, and a hundred cans or so of various soups, beans, chicken, tuna, etc. Lots of pasta. I think my reserves can last me 6 months if we eat frugally.

The issue is water. If the tap turns off I'm either drinking rain water or something from the river. I don't know how well a Brita will filter dirty water or how long 1 filter will last. Boiling would be hard as well with no electric or gas. Propane tanks will only last a few weeks depending how many you have. I'd have to setup a caldron and boil water over a camp fire.

City folk are in much worse shape than those in the country.

I think this reality of cyberattacks, as OP stated, or some kind of other disruption is very likely for multiple reasons.

• We are involved in multiple engagements from the Red Sea to Ukraine, and who knows what else. A state actor or lone wolf might want to cause a disruption to focus our resources on domestic issues.
  • A cyber event coordinated with damage to hard to replace electrical transformers and a radiological disaster would definitely make C-19 look like a non event.
  • Though this may be a crazy theory, destabilization before an election might be another way to postpone it. Elections are not federal so the President has no official say in the matter and the Constitution does not have a provision to postpone elections. Electors from the states decide who the president is so the way an election can be postponed would be to have a majority, if not all states, agree not to send the electors out. IMHO red states would be the most likely to destabilize as to avoid their say in the matter and prevent local elections.

All the above scenarios are fringe theories at this point but strange things have been happening lately, polls are not looking good for team blue, and the world is going through a complicated phase right now. I hope nothing happens but if it does, it won't hurt to be stocked up with food and fuel.

p.s. Add some medications to your supplies. Ask for extra refills and don't throw anything out even if it's old. Antibiotics are still good after they expire, you might need to double up on the dose though. Insulin would probably be no longer available. Learn how to live without it if possible by adjusting your diet.

Last edited:
This would be hard to achieve for most people. Maybe it can be done with 50 5 gallon pails of rice and 50 5lb pails of beans? Canned food would only be good for a year or 2.

I personally have a few pails of rice, bags of dried beans, and a hundred cans or so of various soups, beans, chicken, tuna, etc. Lots of pasta. I think my reserves can last me 6 months if we eat frugally.

The issue is water. If the tap turns off I'm either drinking rain water or something from the river. I don't know how well a Brita will filter dirty water or how long 1 filter will last. Boiling would be hard as well with no electric or gas. Propane tanks will only last a few weeks depending how many you have. I'd have to setup a caldron and boil water over a camp fire.

City folk are in much worse shape than those in the country.

I think this reality of cyberattacks, as OP stated, or some kind of other disruption is very likely for multiple reasons.

• We are involved in multiple engagements from the Red Sea to Ukraine, and who knows what else. A state actor or lone wolf might want to cause a disruption to focus our resources on domestic issues.
  • A cyber event coordinated with damage to hard to replace electrical transformers and a radiological disaster would definitely make C-19 look like a non event.
  • Though this may be a crazy theory, destabilization before an election might be another way to postpone it. Elections are not federal so the President has no official say in the matter and the Constitution does not have a provision to postpone elections. Electors from the states decide who the president is so the way an election can be postponed would be to have a majority, if not all states, agree not to send the electors out. IMHO red states would be the most likely to destabilize as to avoid their say in the matter and prevent local elections.

All the above scenarios are fringe theories at this point but strange things have been happening lately, polls are not looking good for team blue, and the world is going through a complicated phase right now. I hope nothing happens but if it does, it won't hurt to be stocked up with food and fuel.

p.s. Add some medications to your supplies. Ask for extra refills and don't throw anything out even if it's old. Antibiotics are still good after they expire, you might need to double up on the dose though. Insulin would probably be no longer available. Learn how to live without it if possible by adjusting your diet.
Canned food will last indefinitely. The contents may change in color, but it doesn't go bad. Their are some highly acidic exceptions along with caution using dented cans. You should always do the smell test when you open any can.

Absolutely agree with everything else you say!

I have a backyard full of squirrels and a couple of shot guns. All I need in the pantry is some pepper, flower, a touch of grease and I can live quite comfortably on squirrel gravy and biscuits. Yes, I'm a hillbilly from West Virginia :)
my thought also. have all the rifles, pistols etc. that i need to supply food for a long time. I'm not in west Virgina but a stone throw away.

Don't drink milk or eat eggs. Have also cut out most pasta and rice so can't help much. Most Americans could stand to go a few days to a few weeks not eating.

Back