How do you like your steak cooked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medium well. I'm ok with a little pink. I love well done but it is so hard to get correct where there's juicy flavor and no pink. I'd rather not risk it and get something unsafictory at a restaurant

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Medium rare - should have been at room temp before cooking
peppercorn and brandy sauce.
mashed potato
honeyed carrots.
sliced green beans
Dang sounds good.

Medium. Seared on outside and pink/slightly red in middle. No seasonings other than a little bit of pink salt prior to cooking.

If it requires seasoning, something is wrong with the cut of meat.

No sauce necessary. Sauce is nothing but covering up some fault with the flavoring and or cooking of the meat.

Should cut nice and easy. And hopefully melt in mouth. Not literally, but figuratively

Now I am hungry and will cook a steak tomorrow. Thanks guys

Originally Posted By: Trav
Medium well with loads of onions, peppers and melted Swiss cheese on top with coleslaw on the side.

A slice of Spam under all that would taste the same as a steak...
27.gif

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Medium. Seared on outside and pink/slightly red in middle. No seasonings other than a little bit of pink salt prior to cooking.

If it requires seasoning, something is wrong with the cut of meat.

No sauce necessary. Sauce is nothing but covering up some fault with the flavoring and or cooking of the meat.

Should cut nice and easy. And hopefully melt in mouth. Not literally, but figuratively

Now I am hungry and will cook a steak tomorrow. Thanks guys
Perfect
01.gif

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Medium rare. Reverse seared in my cast iron skillet

I LOVE doing it this way. Bake lowwww and slowwww in the oven from room temp, directly on the rack with a drip pan. Get to about 140 internal, then do a quick sear in butter on all sides. 15 seconds max. Delicious!

Medium rare. Tri tip gets some Pappy's dry rub after being in the sous vide tank at 133F for 6 hours and before searing. Anything else gets salt.

That is how I make tri tip in the sous vide tank.

This is at my favorite restaurant, Beachside Bar Cafe on Goleta Beach. Never had a bad cut of meat from them.

Medium for sure.
I prefer mine cooked on a cast iron skillet, but the grill does have the nice smoky flavor. I just tried Steak in our InstantPot last night and it was phenomenal. I marinated it in our typical seasoning and cooked it on the rack over 2 cups of bone broth. Meat setting, 7 minutes, and quick release. No searing or smoke flavor, but was tender, juicy, and buttery smooth.

Anywhere from rare to medium, with medium rare preferred. I rarely order steak when eating out due to the high variability of what various people imagine is medium rare, and if so I order it medium. I cook plenty of steak at home instead with a light dry rub over good old 100% hardwood charcoal and a touch of mesquite. IME gas simply doesn't do justice to quality meats cooked outdoors. It's best for vegetables and delicate seafood like shrimp.

A light touch of only Lea & Perrins brand Worcestershire Sauce is often something I enjoy. Other brands or stuff labeled "Salsa Ingles" just doesn't cut it.

Last edited:
Pittsburg Rare, otherwise known as black and blue. Fully charred and blacked and still raw inside. None of this rare stuff. I like my steaks still mooing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Well. No blood

It is NOT "blood" when you cut into a steak

It is Keratin. Just because it's red, don't assume it is blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back