Food In Various Countries

If you have some stamps in your passport, one of the most interesting things is eating new foods. Not to be US centric. We have some unusual food here (maybe indigestible) too. If you have been peripatetic share your experiences.

Mine;

Spain, paella is always a reliable dish. The closer you are located to the sea coast the better the quality of the seafood ingredients are. The best tapas might the potato tortillas. Clarete wine is a pink ambrosia not frequently seen here. Worth the trip. Fried calamares good with the local beer, then a siesta.

Portugal, like Spain but cheaper

England, limited experience. Just London. British food is unremarkable but they do set a nice table. American food franchises dominate.

Mexico, No comment

Caribbean Islands, excellent seafood. Conch chowder was always delightful

Morocco, tangia and couscous will satiate your hunger but if you don't like strange food, find something else.

Holland, typical northern european quisine. In Amsterdam the distractions take your thoughts off of food.

The Philippines, balut (pickled duck embryo) best eaten while drunk, pancit bihon (noodle dish), San Miguel beer.

Japan, yaki soba, salty noodle soup, saki

Hong Kong, best resturants in the world. Fried fish balls at the ferry terminal are worth the trip alone.

Australia, baramundi (type of sea bass) and silversides (type of ham) and their beer is excellent.

Saudi Arabia, camel steak. Not good, no beer

Last edited:
Lesson learned; between jet lag, enough of whatever the locals pour you, the local vinegar hot sauce or similar, you can always be a gracious guest and happily choke down almost anything put in front of you while you are cheered on.

Singapore has some of the best sea food, except for good Dover sole in the UK.

Balut, see my first paragraph.

Last edited:
this is a topic close to my heart!

For me it’s:
- Switzerland have to get a fondue and a steak tartare or cheval steak washed down with mediocre mountain Pinot noir
- China a hot pot down south or seafood far north, or soup dumplings in the middle all washed down with what ever crap water beer they’ve got such as tiger or Tsingtao. Stay away from Baijiu.
- Taiwan an obscene portion of wok-fried shellfish for practically free with a Classic beer
- Italy would be a Neapolitan street pizza or any place with house made pasta and the red wine of the region
- Germany I love maultaschen and a pilz but also currywurst or a buttered pretzel for breakfast is always good
- France has great food but for some reason Parisian crepes are my favorite thing about France
- Ireland has surprisingly good food with a lamb stew or excellent seafood being my favorite. Have to drink a few Muphy’s stouts while there too
- real burritos in Juarez Mexico are a treat. That unfortunately is all that’s desirable about Juarez
- in Costa Rica I actually really like the “married man’s” lunch with beans and rice some local salsa picante and an imperial beer

Now I’m hungry!

England/Wales/Scotland: Each area had a version of Sunday Roast that was really good. English breakfast was a good start to the day.
One restaurant in Scotland had a really tasty local trout dinner.
Mexico:Cabo Excellent Lobster/Shrimp and fish dinners.

OP's handle fits.

I've found good food in every country, except Canada. I take that back, good chow in Montreal. But wow that place is COLD. The rest of Canada. What happened?

Italy the best for me, period. Especially if you can cook. Get a place with a kitchen and hit the little markets. Say no more.

Thailand, pretty much a foodie heaven. You cannot go wrong with anything. They love beer.

India, southern seafood curry will blow your face off, but still delicious. Northwest (Jaipur) is also different vs north or southern food. It’s worth exploring each.

Egypt, fresh bread, fish, street Koshari. Otherwise kind of bland.

I know Germany isn't known for their cuisine - but their Spätzle and Schnitzel I really like (hand made noodles and breaded pork all covered in a pepper gravy). You have to go to local family owned place, and I always have to ask your host to take you - because they always assume no one wants to eat German food. Every time I go to Germany, they want to take me for Mexican or Chinese food. Its really expensive too. I am like - WT?

I only went to Italy once - Northern Italy for work. I have no idea of what all I ate, but everything was awesome. If I lived there I would weigh 300 lbs.

Last edited:
I've found good food in every country, except Canada
They have some of the best steak on earth - grain fed, not corn fed, very tasty.

If you can find an ethnic Ukrainian or Polish place there usually excellent - handmade sausage, perogies, mmmmm - , although I suppose you could just go to Ukraine or Poland. Canada is closer, and no Russian's shooting at you, so I will take Canada.

Thailand, pretty much a foodie heaven. You cannot go wrong with anything. They love beer.

India, southern seafood curry will blow your face off, but still delicious. Northwest (Jaipur) is also different vs north or southern food. It’s worth exploring each.

Egypt, fresh bread, fish, street Koshari. Otherwise kind of bland.
It wasn't my face that got blown off by the curry. My cheeks did burn.

They have some of the best steak on earth - grain fed, not corn fed, very tasty.

If you can find an ethnic Ukrainian or Polish place there usually excellent - handmade sausage, perogies, mmmmm - , although I suppose you could just go to Ukraine or Poland. Canada is closer, and no Russian's shooting at you, so I will take Canada.
"grain fed, not corn fed," you know that doesn't make sense. I prefer grass fed, but I think our beeves are about the same, it's just - well maybe Canadian, no flavor.

I wonder if there are Ukraine or Polish places in BC, which after all does have good Chinese and Indian food, regardless of what Pablo wrote.

I can't believe that you left out the ham in Spain. That Iberico stuff that the pigs eat special acorns or something. It melts in your mouth. It's fantastic.

Japanese food didn't overly impress me. Seems very similar to what you get in the USA.

Chinese food was excellent! So fresh and a huge variety. I can do without the snake and chicken elbows that I had. Stick to fish and vegetables.

The Germans loved their sausages. Not for me.

Italy and France have great good.

The UK and Ireland food is nothing special. Although the run of the mill sticky toffee pudding in England is better than Gordan Ramsey's mother's secret recipe.

I can't believe that you left out the ham in Spain. That Iberico stuff that the pigs eat special acorns or something. It melts in your mouth. It's fantastic.
I ordered that for lunch in Italy of all places, delicious. Different than prosciutto, but same heavenly plain. Yes more melty.

When I was in China, the food was mostly good. I always loved the places where you pick out the fresh foods and they cook it for you right there. Delicious!!

But China is the only place where I saw rats scurry about. Once the chef tried to stomp one....missed.....not that I had sympathy for the rat, but I'm eating here!!

I never had a problem with the chow in the UK. We ate mostly in pubs and some good restaurants.

I’m in Africa and went exotic last night - USDA ribeye!
Joking aside - have tried foods in many countries - mostly good but some can be too spicy … 🥵

If you have some stamps in your passport, one of the most interesting things is eating new foods. Not to be US centric. We have some unusual food here (maybe indigestible) too. If you have been peripatetic share your experiences.

Mine;

Spain, paella is always a reliable dish. The closer you are located to the sea coast the better the quality of the seafood ingredients are. The best tapas might the potato tortillas. Clarete wine is a pink ambrosia not frequently seen here. Worth the trip. Fried calamares good with the local beer, then a siesta.

Portugal, like Spain but cheaper

England, limited experience. Just London. British food is unremarkable but they do set a nice table. American food franchises dominate.

Mexico, No comment

Caribbean Islands, excellent seafood. Conch chowder was always delightful

Morocco, tangia and couscous will satiate your hunger but if you don't like strange food, find something else.

Holland, typical northern european quisine. In Amsterdam the distractions take your thoughts off of food.

The Philippines, balut (pickled duck embryo) best eaten while drunk, pancit bihon (noodle dish), San Miguel beer.

Japan, yaki soba, salty noodle soup, saki

Hong Kong, best resturants in the world. Fried fish balls at the ferry terminal are worth the trip alone.

Australia, baramundi (type of sea bass) and silversides (type of ham) and their beer is excellent.

Saudi Arabia, camel steak. Not good, no beer
You forgot to mention iberico ham in Spain. I've actually found a shop not too far from me that sells it. Super expensive though.

When abroad, I usually wander into the supermarkets as well, if for no other reason than I like to snack and need to stock up.

The different flavors of things like Lay's chips are more interesting than what we get here.

And the quality of chocolate bars is often a higher standard.

When abroad, I usually wander into the supermarkets as well, if for no other reason than I like to snack and need to stock up.

The different flavors of things like Lay's chips are more interesting than what we get here.

And the quality of chocolate bars is often a higher standard.
Same. I really enjoy doing that too.

Most memorable was in Bodrum Turkey, when we went into a grocery store, and the rear of it looked unfinished. Turns out there were unearthed ruins in the store!

Back