How are your pets doing?

Great dogs, but the big dog whines at times and so annoying.

Attachments

• PXL_20230210_014431397.jpg
    PXL_20230210_014431397.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 18
@walterjay

Shepards are great dogs. My best friend had one when we were growing up. We would walk our dogs and meet up. Unleash them and they would tear around the yards chasing each other like crazy while my friend and I smoked cigs.
One thing you never did while in his house was appear to threaten his mom! *LOL* It was AMAZING!

Yet you could play fight with him and he could have his teeth in your arm playing without fear of him biting you.
Very smart, We had a large Labrador/irish setter mix and they were like best friends.
When we had to go back home, my friend would whistle once and the Shepard would run right up to him and my dog follow.

My wife and I like to watch some guy on FB who trains dogs, he likes many of the large breeds and Shepard is one of his favorites to our surprise so are Pit Bulls as his #3 choice. Even though every pit I ever met only wanted to lick me, we cant deny the media reports.

Simba is 8 years old and is healthy, except he has food sensitivity. He's a real gentle dog, very friendly towards other dogs and people (he has to go out and greet the mail carrier and delivery people) and super intelligent.

20200712_153518.jpg

We did an Embark DNA test last year. Genetics has always (cautiously) fascinated me. The reason we did the DNA test was to find out what exactly his breed make-up is. His info card at the shelter read, "Maltese". We always though he was a terrier mix. Because he's "long bodied", I though there might be some Dachshund in him. We missed the boat completely.

Simba has two health "markers":
  1. Chondrodystrophy and Intervertebral Disc Disease and Osteochondrodysplasia - has both markers so this may be an issue. This variant is passed down in nearly all Cocker Spaniels.
  2. Skeletal Dwarfism (SLC13A1, Poodle Variant) - which will not impact his health.
The remaining +220, breed-specific genetic variants are not detected. If we do our part, he'll live a long and healthy life.

Simba DNA_Breed.jpg

Simba DNA_Family Tree.jpg

wrked animal hospitals a decade. Onto same w/the typical N.merican live stock (no emu, lama, etc).

Cant say I'd rather 1 over the other. Living close w/animals most my life sure is great - well... so long I think that's what developed my allergies
(cats, dogs - nother 20 yrs as contractor - so to dust too). BUT...

today I'd have neither dog or cat as I dont live where they can run free. Never used a cat box, never leashed or chained a dog. Today I'd have to do all this as have no more house in the "out back", boonies or whatever label. I guess pets have no consciousness (? U sure ?) so dont ming restricted lives (never experienced it anyway?). But I cant do it... We all ways freed 'some1' and shopped @ pounds and shelters.
Cats'n dogs were swell. One mutt learned 13 tricks by hand sign or wrd and could climb a step ladder, cross a plank and go dwn a slide other end, toss a cookie off nose'n catch/eat, etc. (also fooled us w/trickery all the time, creatin some pretty interesting mischief - usually for play, comfort or food). Gotta love em (so U dont kill them). 8^ )
Miss 'em all - the low outside the window off in the field near milk time, the smell of the barn or their hide, seeing the steam rise off a hide in certain temps'n conditions. ALL w/beautiful eyes (even the hogs'n chickens). Miss 'em ALL in many ways~

@ the vets, the ol days ('60s/70's) we'd 'let them go'.
Today there's open heart surgery, health insurance, hi cost of medical school, and more.
A lill different world, eh?
The animals are still the same tho. ~Precious~

Back