Upright vacuum recommendation

Had a good run with my Hoover Windtunnel Air Steerable for about 10 years I think (or something that long). Multiple plastic handle and hoses broke and not worth fixing anymore. Shopping for a replacement and the priority is weight (prefer the lightest in the 8-10A power), ergonomic (need swivel head or ball steering), durability (something that won't get stuck with a repair waiting for parts or electronics repair kind of weird stuff), bagless preferred but bag is ok if the vacuum is excellent otherwise. I don't think battery vacuum is powerful enough or durable enough (want 10 years with this) but feel free to prove me wrong.

So far I know the same vacuum I have is discontinued, and Miele no longer make corded upright vacuum. So far based on what I see these are my options:

1) Dyson Ball 3: fashionable seems durable and good ergonomics, pricy
2) Shark Navigator / DuoClean Swivel: seems like 80% of dyson at 50% of the price, can lift away the can for stair cleaning (I have a 2/F house), some people complained you can't take it apart to replace stuff
3) Kenmore bagless upright: light weight, good review but some people comment on not durable
4) Hoover windtunnel: same brand as before, seems durable, but heavy (16 lb instead of 12-14 lb as before).

I got to admit I have a thing against dyson as the early review when they first came out was they are not durable, recently I heard they are really durable so I don't know if that's different now or not. Same concern with Kenmore.

Budget is probably $150-250 but again priority is weight and ergo. Suction prefer to be 8-10A motor but that's a compromise with weight. I prefer not to go with the super light weight one like Eureka.

No pet.

Last edited:
No idea. Still using a 50yo Kirby Omega I inherited from an aunt when I got my first apartment. Got a bag of belts and a spare roller and dont expect to ever need to replace it.
I would probably buy these "commercial" grade vacuum and replace bags if it was just for me. Wife has ergo injury and kids are going to grow up vacuum for us, so something slightly easier to use may be the better way to go.

I'd buy a used one like yours if I divorce.

We’ve got a Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal+Allergy upright. The plastics all feel chintzy especially for what was a $700 vacuum, but it has yet to break and it sees a ton of abuse (kids ramming it into floor boards, sucking up ALL the cheerios). Works great though and no filters to replace.

Panasonic

Panasonic-1.jpeg

Last edited:
If you don't mind the cost , a Kirby is the Cadillac of upright vacuums. It will outlast you and can last for generations.. When it gets older as needed , Kirby will overhaul it for free putting the vacuum in like new condition again if you keep the sales receipt. I am currently using my Grandmother's old Kirby which she bought in the early 60's.. It works great and it's been overhauled several times since then. It looks and performs like new.

I just bought a Bissel 2998 for about $140…

A bit flimsy, but works well…

BISSELL 2998 MultiClean Allergen Lift-Off Pet Vacuum with HEPA Filter Sealed System, Lift-Off Portable Pod, LED Headlights, Specialized Pet Tools, Easy Empty,Blue/ Black

Had a good run with my Hoover Windtunnel Air Steerable for about 10 years I think (or something that long). Multiple plastic handle and hoses broke and not worth fixing anymore. Shopping for a replacement and the priority is weight (prefer the lightest in the 8-10A power), ergonomic (need swivel head or ball steering), durability (something that won't get stuck with a repair waiting for parts or electronics repair kind of weird stuff), bagless preferred but bag is ok if the vacuum is excellent otherwise. I don't think battery vacuum is powerful enough or durable enough (want 10 years with this) but feel free to prove me wrong.

So far I know the same vacuum I have is discontinued, and Miele no longer make corded upright vacuum. So far based on what I see these are my options:

1) Dyson Ball 3: fashionable seems durable and good ergonomics, pricy
2) Shark Navigator / DuoClean Swivel: seems like 80% of dyson at 50% of the price, can lift away the can for stair cleaning (I have a 2/F house), some people complained you can't take it apart to replace stuff
3) Kenmore bagless upright: light weight, good review but some people comment on not durable
4) Hoover windtunnel: same brand as before, seems durable, but heavy (16 lb instead of 12-14 lb as before).

I got to admit I have a thing against dyson as the early review when they first came out was they are not durable, recently I heard they are really durable so I don't know if that's different now or not. Same concern with Kenmore.

Budget is probably $150-250 but again priority is weight and ergo. Suction prefer to be 8-10A motor but that's a compromise with weight. I prefer not to go with the super light weight one like Eureka.

No pet.
I still have a windtunnel and I love it... Hope it lasts meany more years...

For $200 don’t expect much.
Within your limits, I would choose a Hoover.
I have a Kenmore Upright (Panasonic). The performance on carpet is poor. It’s now a spare and used when I don’t feel like dragging out the Sebo canister.

My family is solidly in the Kirby camp, as I can remember the salesman demonstrating one to my mom and dad back in 1972. My mom had that one for 11 years and traded it in on a new one from another salesman.

I have a Kirby now and it’s equipped with a power drive unit that makes it really easy to push. I found it at a thrift store and bought it for $75. It was “broken”… the fix was a new beater bar and belt. 😁

I think my mom has a 1958 model in storage from when my brother passed. He was using it in his own place. I’m sure it still works.

About 5 years ago I tried a few Dyson models and I didn't find them to be what they were touted as and the price tag was a let's return this! I have had two Shark models (one on each floor beside the basement). With dogs and 3 kids they get used often. The Shark's have held up well to heavy use and abuse from the kids for sure.

No bags on the Shark's. The containers are easily and quickly removed and replaced. I would like a larger container but it isn't a deal breaker.

definitely panasonic.. they last forever! have had one for 20 years now, only replaced belts, bags and filters. Did replace the beater brushes once. awesome machine!

This without question.
We are on our second, and they far surpassed any Hoover, Eureka, or Bissell we have ever owned.
They are durable and a great value as well.
Only problem is that Panasonic no longer markets vacuums, at least in the US.

Back